• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is there a compatibilty problem with the ATI 4850 and Furmark?

Soldato
Basically the title of the thread states it all - is there a compatibilty problem with the ATI 4850 or even the 48** range of cards with Furmark?

I and 2 other forum members have the same problem when using Furmark (and crysis) but no other problems with stress test apps, games or apps. I've also come across other threads in different forums where some 4850's are having similar problems.

The 2 others in the OC's forum have the same make and version as myself, a XFX 4850 XXX edition, so we haven't ruled out a bad batch - as we all bought at a similar time. But it could just be that this card doesn't like Furmark for whatever reasons.

Anyone else had similar experience with Furmark and any other 4850?

Edit: could you name the brand of your card with reply please - as it may turn out it's XFX XXX edition specific - a long shot i know.

Any personal experience or links to other ppl with the same/similar problem would be really apprecaited as i'm not totally convinced yet that it's a hardware problem as other problems just don't add up - you can see this [thread=17997690]thread[/thread] and my replies if you're interested.

Plec

Last edited:
Associate
I dont think there is a problem - ran fine on my 4850s and my new 4890, but Im sure Furmark (and Crysis) stress the cards a bit more than any other application. Could be some kind of hardware compatibility issue.

Soldato
I used the hd 4850 from release up until recently. Furmark has always worked fine. It does get the card very hot and truly tests stability. In fact it was so good at heating cards up i.e. standard fan profiles werent good enough, that they started limiting furmark starting with a certain driver release (can't remember which one).

When you have problems, is it a software problem or due to an unstable card? What is this error? Does VPU recover kick in when it happens? If so it is likely to be an unstable overclock. Although, the XFX XXX version isn't exactly overclocked much.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
thanks for reply Biglunn and Ghost101, what are the brand of your cards? (And just out of interest what is the system memory you're using as that is a common factor with 3 of us using the 4850 and having Furmark problems?)

Ghost101, no idea yet as to problem but it's leaning more towards a gfx problem - click on the link in the original post if you want the full details - but i warn you it's not pretty... One of my last post lists all the trouble shooting methods i've used so far - about a 10 second read once located.

Thanks for the replies.

Plec

Last edited:
Soldato
Gainward 4870x2 (Watercooled with a GTZ) here - it runs Furmark fine

fur.png

fur1920.png

Hope you solve the problem .....

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the replies guys. Good to know that some brands of the 4850 definitely work with Furmark without any problems. Just waiting then to see if anyone has successfully run a XFX 4850 XXX edition with Furmark?

So then, to re-phrase the original question - has anybody got an XFX 4850 XXX edition that they have successfully ran Furmark consistently without any issues?

Thanks again for your input guys - getting that little bit closer to resolving this.

Plec

Last edited:
Associate
i have a XFX 4850 XXX and i am having the same problem in furmark and crysis

i dont have thwe same RAM as the people who have had, my ram is kingston hyperX 2x2 gb

with my sapphire 4850 in furmark i do not crash as i do with the xfx 4850

Associate
It must be ATI's ever-perfect drivers.
When the 4850 came out, I built a box for a friend with one, and furmarked it's knackers off it, it cared not a jot. Also, it hammered my 8800GTX in furmark.

Associate
Am glad to see more people are experiencing the problem.

edit - not glad but i feel better knowing am not the only one. sorry about that.

pyrophonich when and where did you buy the card? It may be a faulty batch as we have confirmed that RAM mat not be the cause.

After running Furmark more, the bench mark seemed fine. THe card failes when the temp reaches 62-65 celcius ever time. I ran the test a few times and it seemed to fail ever time.

Drivers may be an issue as they may not be configured for the XXX edition and may casue the card to shut down when it reaches this temp.

Am going to try some other drivers.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Ok, so that rules out the xfx having a system memory conflict as pyrophonic has different memory to the orignal 3 of us who are having problems.

Glad you found the place pyrophonic, my directions on the forum you were using for finding this place weren't very subtle.

So it's either a pysical fault with the card or driver issue which i find hard to swallow as surely there would be an avalanche of posts about this card crashing in crysis and Furmark?

I was hoping to try my card in my brother-in-law's rig but it's a dell system and i'm scared i'll balls up his system as i'm finding it very hard to get the nvidia uninstall app to work so that i can run driver seewper (it even stops that from opening) .So, it would be great if one of you guys had a mate that had more simple system to hack?

Plec

Plec

Associate
ok give me an hour i will try and get my spare system to work, its apart atm i will have to set it up and test my xfx 4850 in it and see what happends.

Jammy i bought it from **********

Last edited:
Associate
referring to my previous post on this threadthread, not to confuse things, I have determined that the reason I was able to run crysis for so long was that the load was not great enough on the earlier levels to cause a great enough temperature rise to cause the fail.

I firmly believe that this if pyrophonich also bought his card recently from OC that either there is a driver compatibility problem or a generic fault in the batch that OCers received.

Edit - ok pyrophonich. Maybe it's driver related then. thanks

Has any one contacted OCers yet. If not I will write an email tonight on behalf of us all trying to explain the symptoms and ask if OCers have had any problems with this batch.

I am still waiting on a reply from XFX support on the matter. However I think am buggered as trying the Overdrive might give them a reason to bunk me off if it needs replaced. I am now 100% that the overdrive was not the cause. Unless it's some really weird driver/software thing...lol.

good luck trying the card in another system.

Associate
Yes my XTI XFX 4850 still crashes in my spare system
plus i just ran my sapphire 4850 in my main system and no problems no crashing nothing.
i am going to try and return my xfx 4850 to scan and get a refund so i can buy a 4890

*edit* i bought my 4850 just two weeks ago
hope this answers some of your questions

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Edit: Thanks for that pyrophonic i think i'll be returning mine to OC's as it's clearly a fault.

jammy2232, we perhaps need to join forces a bit and contact OC and direct them to this thread and other threads. Hopefully magicpanda will get to see this too and we can have his input as well - you can mail me here if you want to discus a joint rma detail. It may speed up their decision that there is something wrong with the card rather than them assuming that we haven't tested it thoroughly enough or we've set it up wrong etc...

I don't think it's a heat issue as you know from previous posts i can get Furmark to run by clearing the CMOS and reinstalling Furmark. If i run stress test (i can only do this once as as soon as i esc out the program then becomes unstable again) my temps don't go above 70 degrees.

However, i haven't ruled out the cards memory or just that this card hates Furmark and Crysis. TBH, if it wasn't for crysis (which is why i upgraded) i wouldn't be here posting as i would put it down to a small app just being temperamental. Howerver, because crysis crashes in exactly the same way i'm worried there will be more programs out there that will do the same thing or worse future ones.

pyrophonic, your test will be the final proof really that we need because if it replicates the problem in a different rig again it's def the card.

Someone with more gfx knowledge needs to advise us whether a driver can cause this specific problem to one card or whether it's more likely hardware related.

jammy2232, your xfx response will be worth knowing - it's whether or not they admit to a problem that could be widespread.

We're slowly getting there still eating too much of my holiday. I so nearly didn't buy the XFX as i had massive problems with thier 6800 years ago - 3 returns later i bought an asus version instead... May be doing something similar again - but it's proving that the card is faulty.

Strength in numbers...

Plec

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I may have been editing my reply when you posted - see my contact details above if you feel that it may be worth a combined rma with the same facts.

It's a shame as the card is blisteringly fast for the money.

Additional: mines a version 1.0 what's yours?

Plec

Associate
i just reset my bios back to stock and reinstalled furmark, problems still pesists, as normal my sapphire 4850 is fine yet the temps are a lot high on the sapphire card than my xfx

Soldato
OP
Brilliant, well not brilliant really, but you know what i mean. Thanks pyrophonot you got the proof that we needed.

We've got enough information/proof between us that an rma should be pretty straight forward. I don't know which card to get as this card from OC's was amazing value.

Plec

Associate
i my self am going to buy one of thsoe new 4890's very nice card.
I have had a horrible time with crossfire its a mine field of bugs and crashes so im going to avoid it and stick to single core cards

glad to help and thanks for posting on the other forum

Back
Top Bottom