Obama releases Bush torture memos

Caporegime

Barack Obama today released four top secret memos that allowed the CIA under the Bush administration to torture al-Qaida and other suspects held at Guantánamo and secret detention centres round the world.

[...]

In the first of the memos, dated 1 August 2002, the justice department gave the go-ahead to John Rizzo, then acting general counsel to the CIA, for operatives to move to the "increased pressure phase" in interrogating an al-Qaida suspect.

Ten techniques are approved, listed as: attention grasp, walling (in which the suspect could be pushed into a wall), a facial hold, a facial slap, cramped confinement, wall standing, sleep deprivation, insects placed in a confinement box (the suspect had a fear of insects) and the waterboard. In the latter, "the individual is bound securely to an inclined bench, which is approximately four feet by seven feet. The individual's feet are generally elevated. A cloth is placed over the forehead and eyes. Water is then applied to the cloth in a controlled manner........produces the perception of 'suffocation and incipient panic'."

'Walling' involved use of a plastic neck collar to slam suspects into a specially-built wall that the CIA said made the impact sound worse than it actually was. Other methods include food deprivation.

The techniques were applied to at least 14 suspects.

[...]

Obama, in a statement from the White House, said: "In releasing these memos, it is our intention to assure those who carrying out their duties relying in good faith upon the legal advice from the department of justice that they will not be subject to prosecution."

Anthony Romero, the ACLU executive director, said: "President Obama's assertion that there should not be prosecutions of government officials who may have committed crimes before a thorough investigation has been carried out is simply untenable."

The ACLU described the legal basis for torture as spurious.

Source.

An excellent decision let down by lack of commitment to follow through. :/

Man of Honour
Our own special forces are trained to resist these methods. As much as it seems disgusting, i still think "torture" is needed sometimes and I expect it will still happen under obama, just less often. what are hey going to do with a high intelligent suspect? let him say nothing, or get the info out of them.

Soldato
Right. But then thats why you're a super killing machine employed by the worlds finest military.

resisting those nonsense doesnt make you anything it simply makes you normal... if they were going to rip of my fingernails id talk right away.. if the secret was so important id carry a cyanide pill with me

anyway im off to uni, got coursework to do,

... my dad was tortured, that envolved half of his teeth being ripped out by pliers, he didnt talk, while i probably cant resist that, i can absolutely resist all forms of phycological torture

Last edited:
Soldato
Sorry nitefly, had to steal your picture.

wellhard.png

Soldato
none of those "methods" would work on me

they prob thought "lets release the minor torture... so we are elevated in are morality"

:rolleyes:

You know this how? Reading what they do makes some of them sound rather tame, but i'm pretty confident when you're in that sitauation where you have NO control over what is going to happen I bet you would change your opinion pretty quickly.

if all you have to say is lol, go to a dvdbunny thread

When you come in posting drivel like you do, we don't really need a DVDBunny thread.

Soldato
the only reason you cannot understand it is because your all weak...

ok but my shoes are on this is the last post

:rolleyes:

You know this how? Reading what they do makes some of them sound rather tame, but i'm pretty confident when you're in that sitauation where you have NO control over what is going to happen I bet you would change your opinion pretty quickly.

because i become mentally stronger the more i am angry and annoyed and i have suffered enough punches to the face and broken ribs, i have scars all over my body so adding some more wouldnt freak me out like some ladyboys on here

Last edited:
Permabanned
resisting those nonsense doesnt make you anything it simply makes you normal... if they were going to rip of my fingernails id talk right away.. if the secret was so important id carry a cyanide pill with me

anyway im off to uni, got coursework to do,

... my dad was tortured, that envolved half of his teeth being ripped out by pliers, he didnt talk, while i probably cant resist that, i can absolutely resist all forms of phycological torture

going to the dentist is not torture.

glad obama publicised this. It will do him a great favour in bringing a lot of faith to the new man in charge.

Caporegime
ok but my shoes are on this is the last post

You can't post with your shoes on?

because i become mentally stronger the more i am angry and annoyed and i have suffered enough punches to the face and broken ribs, i have scars all over my body so adding some more wouldnt freak me out like some ladyboys on here

Tell your teacher you are being bullied. It's better to talk to someone than bottle it up.

Back
Top Bottom