***HTC Magic Thread***

AGD

AGD

Soldato
htcpioneerh1.png

The second android phone is now available to pre-order from vodaphone. Pricewise the phone is free on a £35 a month contract (edit and now £30 from phones4u) which comes with unlimited internet and webmail. For anyone who doesn't know, the specs are almost identical to the g1 but the battery is slightly better and it has double the rom so more apps can be installed. It has no keyboard though!

It runs on android firmware 1.5 and the full list of improvements can be seen here but some things to note are:

-soft keyboard in portrait and landscape orientation
-video recording
-much faster acquisition of GPS location

Watch a video of the phone in action here.

Ordering mine tomorrow, I've been wanting an android phone for ages but the g1 seemed too big and clunky. The phone should be released on May 1st.

Any g1 owners going to make the change or is it too similar to be worth the effort?

Last edited:
Soldato
nice but you will never be able to type fast on touch screen, i got G1, i have option to use the keyboard or the touch screen. i always find the keyboard is nicer and much faster to type.

so G2 is no good for me :)

AGD

AGD

Soldato
OP
For anyone who's interested, phones4u now have a better deal on this phone with 600mins,3000 texts and unlimited internet for £30 a month on an 18 month contract instead of £35 a month on vodaphone for basically the same thing. As soon as I get mine I'll post some nice pics. :)

AGD

AGD

Soldato
OP
Any ideas when they will start shipping these?

Some stories suggest vodaphone put up may the 5th to cover themselves and it does seem that they've removed that from their website so some people might get them today (I'm hoping!), otherwise it'll be tuesday.

Edit: It appears that phones4u have removed the coming may 5th text on their website too implying it is available to be shipped now...

Last edited:
Soldato
Is it a rule that all Android phones have to look awful?

No, the Samsung I7500 looks OK.

The problem with the Magic is that it's a spin-off of the G1. The G1 was in development for 3+ years, hence the dated look of the device.

I expect that the general trend will be towards ugly Android devices though. Most of the manufacturers using the OS are cheap and cheerful Asian OEMs.

Soldato
Some stories suggest vodaphone put up may the 5th to cover themselves and it does seem that they've removed that from their website so some people might get them today (I'm hoping!), otherwise it'll be tuesday.

Edit: It appears that phones4u have removed the coming may 5th text on their website too implying it is available to be shipped now...

Vodafone is no long showing them as pre-order too.
Was hoping for it today but it was a long shot, not received any email from voda regarding it.

EDIT:

Just got dispatch email now. :)
Hopeing for it to arrive tomorrow but I doubt it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom