O2 Slough pre-pay scam

Soldato
Logged onto my bank account yesterday to find out that someone has charged my debit card for two £30 top ups....

1 Debit Card - O2(Uk)ltd Prepay Slough 30.00 0870 900 4455
2 Debit Card - Tesco Mobile Topup 30.00

Needless to say I dont have any prepay phones only a O2 contract.

Bank canceled my card now and reported it to the fraud department.
I should get my money back ?
I was quite lucky to spot it as The cash in the bank was for a few DD's coming out today

Associate
I have had several occurences of this now with my debit card. Each time Barclays have been very good in fully refunding all money very quickly. Often it is they who inform me when something has been done, they tend to pick it up faster than I can check my statement.

They explained that the most common way of your details being stolen is through card skimmers on ATM's and staff at shops, especially petrol stations.

Associate
I had this late last year - exactly the same, £30 on O2 Prepay Slough, on my Barclaycard.

Reported it.
Got a new card.
Signed some paperwork.
Money was refunded.

No idea how they got my number and Barclaycard didn't seem all that fussed, to be honest... took them a month to get the paperwork to me!

Not like 10 years ago where my Visa card was presumably cloned whilst I was on hols in Italy and the £8k limit was maxed out in Italy the following week. Didn't even need to fill in any paperwork that time but I did get cash back on the fraudulent spending at the end of the year :)

Soldato
No way. sorry to hear that.

No skin off my nose. It's not the first time it's happened with my Barclaycard and, as usual, the first I heard of it was when Barclaycard called me. They knew exactly which transactions were mine and which weren't and they will write it off.

It's just scary that the scammer obviously knew enough about me to change my address with Barclaycard.

Associate
I just went back on the phone to check the statements for the last week as I've a bit more than £3000 notes in the account but it's still all there.

I only use my card for online transactions, maybe if the cost of the fraud was taken out of the bankers bonuses they would soon think of something a little more secure.

Back
Top Bottom