The PS3 Slim

RRP £249

2qmkax3.jpg

2eb7gx1.jpg

33zepfs.jpg

oji9mx.jpg

v3d1sl.jpg

The Spec's

Product Code: CECH-2000 (Charcoal Black)
CPU: Cell Broadband Engine
GPU: RSX
Audio output: 7.1CH LPCM, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS, DTS-HD, AAC.
Memory: 256MB XDR Main RAM, 256MB GDDR3 VRAM
Hard Drive: 120GB Serial ATA
Inputs / outputs:
Hi-Speed USB (USB 2.0): 2
Network: Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T) x 1, IEEE 802.11 b / g, Bluetooth 2.0 (EDR)
Controller: Wireless controller (Bluetooth)
AV output HDMI OUT Connection: 1
AV output AV MULTI OUT connector: 1
AV output Digital out (optical) Connection: 1
BD / DVD / CD drive (read only) Maximum read rate: BD × 2 (BD-ROM), DVD × 8 (DVD-ROM), CD × 24 (CD-ROM)
Power Consumption: Approx 250W
Dimensions: approx 290 × 65 × 290 mm (width × height × length)
Weight: approx 3.2kg

2v2ys6s.jpg

And here it is in the flesh,

CLICK ME - A good gallery of photos showing the PS3 Slim compared to consoles past and present - CLICK ME

8ygc49.jpg

21kzg29.jpg

1z50w2t.jpg

2v2ys6s.jpg

Videos,

2v2ys6s.jpg

Additional information,

The HDD on the PS3 Slim is accessible via the front panel like so,

8x2a6c.jpg
27xpm6v.jpg

Peak power usage :

Launch (90nm Cell / 90nm RSX) was 200W
40GB (65nm Cell/ 90nm RSX) was 160W
80GB (65nm Cell / 65nm RSX) was 130W

The PS3 Slim (45nm Cell / 65nm RSX) peak power usage is estimated @ around 74w

And for the audio enthusiasts,

http://www.engadget.com/2009/08/21/ps3-slim-bitsreams-dolby-truehd-and-dts-hd-ma-audio-at-last/

"Slowly, ever so slowly we're beginning to learn about the internal differences between Sony's new PS3 Slim and its chubby ancestry. We already knew that it supported BraviaLink while talk of "faster gaming" was introduced (suspiciously) yesterday; something that remains very much in doubt until we can confirm. Now we hear that the fatboy gone slim supports Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio bitstream output to your receiver. Hear that audio nerds? Bitstream. See the HDMI chip on previous generations of the PS3 didn't support bitstream output of the new(ish) high def codecs like Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA. As such, the PS3 had to decode it internally before sending it over to your receiver via LPCM. A process that could garble the lossless audio depending on your setup. Even though the vast majority of people will never notice the difference (or even care), PS3 Slim owners can still kick back in smug satisfaction each time the TrueHD or DTS-HD MA indicators light-up on their receivers."

And Finally some speculation,

Sony's PS3 Slim Carries Updated Cell Chip

"Sony has made some enhancements under the hood to boost its processing speed and power efficiency. The gaming console will carry an upgraded version of the Cell microprocessor, which is being jointly developed by IBM, Sony, and Toshiba."

"IBM spokesman said. Based on IBM's Power architecture, the chip delivers many performance improvements while drawing less power than earlier chips, IBM has said. The earlier console carried a Cell processor manufactured using the 65-nm process. IBM declined to provide the clock speed of the new Cell processor."

2v2ys6s.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
but how big a heat sink does it need to keep it quiet?

Approximately the size of a Boeing 747 going by the videos i've seen of it being dismantled. They're either gonna need yet another improvement in the manufacturing process or the worlds most efficient heatsink in a case that small. My parents own a 80gig and, while it kicks out less heat than my 40, it still needs a heatsink that massive imo.

This.

Its all well and good getting something that small and thin, but there is no way with current technology that it could be cooled properly.

Cell Processor Going 45nm In 2009

"The shrink not only means increased yields and thus reduced pricing (hopefully), but also brings a 40 per cent power reduction compared to the 65nm Cell seen in the current PS3 SKU. This means that the new Cell chip will run cooler than its predecessor, which in turn means that systems built around it can be smaller".

I believe it could be done.

Last edited:
Soldato
Can't see that being real, I'd be inclined to believe that some of those shots are just of the "lid" of a slimline version if such a thing is in the pipeline.

They'd have to be incredibly good at cooling, or have a very good passive cooling system if it was that small.

I can't see how you'd fit a hard drive in there easily either to be honest.

That would be very cramped and very hot in that little case.

Soldato
I think they are shots of the lid and base separately. If you look at the top screenshot you can see clips on the underside of the lid, and there's also a picture of the base with similar clips lower down, but it doesn't have the lid attached. I think if you look at the top screenshot and double or maybe triple the height you're seeing something more like the actual size of it.

Soldato
Cell Processor Going 45nm In 2009

"The shrink not only means increased yields and thus reduced pricing (hopefully), but also brings a 40 per cent power reduction compared to the 65nm Cell seen in the current PS3 SKU. This means that the new Cell chip will run cooler than its predecessor, which in turn means that systems built around it can be smaller".

I believe it could be done.

But going by the size of it in the pictures, you can't fit a single fan in it pointing outwards (like the current PS3, 360 and PC's have). The PS3, or anything that powerful, cannot run on its own with just heatsinks.

But going by the size of it in the pictures, you can't fit a single fan in it pointing outwards (like the current PS3, 360 and PC's have). The PS3, or anything that powerful, cannot run on its own with just heatsinks.

The current PS3 doesn't have a fan pointing outwards, perhaps you should check how the PS3 is engineered first.

End of the day we are both speculating, we'll have to wait and see.

Last edited:
Soldato
Current 80GBs dont use a single fan like the old 60GBs did, they have a twin fan for the CPU/GPU (pretty sure ive seen one taken apart). If you leave out the PSU brick, like the ps2 slim did then there would be plenty of room for the cooling. Also without an internal PSU it would also decrease some of the ambient heat inside the case. Still think its a fake though, but could be a reason why Sony expect to sell 30% more PS3s this year with this and a price drop.

Caporegime
Wow, I actually quite like it. Although I do like having the power built-in on the current model.

Just under three weeks before E3 now where it'll likely be revealed if it's real.

Back
Top Bottom