T-Mobile - EU Romaing Prices - Contract Get Out?

Associate
Guys,

I have just read the EU Roaming Prices and call charges are going up 6p per minute.

Reading T-Mobile terms and conditions state the following
7.2.3. A Cancellation Charge won’t apply if You are within the
Minimum Term and:
7.2.3.1. Our entitlement to operate the Network ends at
any time; or
7.2.3.2. You are a Consumer and the change that We
gave You Written Notice of in point 2.11.2 or
7.1.4 above is of material detriment to You and
You give Us notice to immediately cancel this
Agreement before the change takes effect; or
7.2.3.3. The change that We gave You Written Notice of in
point 7.1.4 is an increase in Your Price Plan
Charge (as a percentage) higher than any
increase in the Retail Price Index (also calculated
as a percentage) for the 12 months before the
month in which We send You Written Notice and
You give Us notice to immediately cancel this
Agreement before the change takes effect.

Do you think they will allow me to cancel my contract based on this? I have 12mths remaining. Also, 6mths ago when i renewed i upgraded to a 5800 express phone which i immediatly sold and bought an N79 - do they ask for the 5800 back?

Confused! - I need out of this contract...

Soldato
It's a bit of a grey area if you haven't used the service. Do you have a trip abroad booked?

The phone remains your property at all times, I believe.

Associate
OP
I roamed last year, and plan again to roam August/Sept. And i will be making calls as i need to keep in contact with work.

I have spoke with customer services who cannot help but they asked me to send an email in - will see what happens!

Soldato
I roamed last year, and plan again to roam August/Sept. And i will be making calls as i need to keep in contact with work.

I have spoke with customer services who cannot help but they asked me to send an email in - will see what happens!

Letters generally do a lot better than emails. Might also be worth calling again to see whether you get a more helpful agent.

Associate
OP
They have 3 days to get back to my email, if they havent then ill send the same in a letter.

Im on F&R discount also but just need out and this romaing increase is just shocking when other companies such as vodafone are doing it for free!

Associate
I cancelled my three contract because they changed the contract. They stopped free usage in certain countries. I never used the service as I havent been out the UK since I got the phone last year but they still cancelled. Also they didnt ask for anything back.

Soldato
Not unless it will be a serious additional cost. Is the cost likely to be a huge increase?

Say you have a £30 a month contract for 12 months and all that will happen is you end up paying a few quid more in the summer due to the roaming increase. The roaming charges weren't great to begin with and so you wouldn't have used it much anyway.

Why would T-Mobile let you off a £360 contract for a few quid?

Caporegime
Then if they have changed them already, you could well be eligible to cancel your contract as they have not informed you of the changes (I would ring them to check on your position), regardless of if you haven't used these services or not. You wont need to give the phone back.

When do they increase?

When I worked for CPW '3' increased their 0845 number charges without sending out a letter, and literally everyone at CPW who I worked with had a '3' contract phoned up and cancelled their contracts, and there was nothing '3' could have done.

Not unless it will be a serious additional cost. Is the cost likely to be a huge increase?

Say you have a £30 a month contract for 12 months and all that will happen is you end up paying a few quid more in the summer due to the roaming increase. The roaming charges weren't great to begin with and so you wouldn't have used it much anyway.

Why would T-Mobile let you off a £360 contract for a few quid?

Because it breaks their terms and conditions, regardless of a couple of quid here or there.

Associate
OP
Then if they have changed them already, you could well be eligible to cancel your contract as they have not informed you of the changes (I would ring them to check on your position), regardless of if you haven't used these services or not. You wont need to give the phone back.

When do they increase?

When I worked for CPW '3' increased their 0845 number charges without sending out a letter, and literally everyone at CPW who I worked with had a '3' contract phoned up and cancelled their contracts, and there was nothing '3' could have done.

Starts 1st August i believe.

Soldato
Because it breaks their terms and conditions, regardless of a couple of quid here or there.

I'm saying this because people tried to do this when mobile phone companies were cutting down on 0845 numbers (due to international calling) on an ongoing basis and eventually they stopped cancelling contracts using that argument. It'd be upto you to take them the court and you'd probably lose, since I doubt they were saying that without legal advice.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I'm saying this because people tried to do this when mobile phone companies were cutting down on 0845 numbers (due to international calling) on an ongoing basis and eventually they stopped cancelling contracts using that argument. It'd be upto you to take them the court and you'd probably lose, since I doubt they were saying that without legal advice.

I had two Orange contracts cancelled when they charged for 0800 numbers. One was a brand new contract with a 7110e - at the time a £400 phone.

Soldato
just keep calling ask for manager then next manager eventually youll get through and hopefully cancel without charge i had a similiar experience with three about a month ago.

Back
Top Bottom