Nico Hulkenberg

Test Driver
TBA

2010 Calendar
31879317987263432094.jpg

2010 Rule Changes
  • Refuelling ban
  • Minimum car weight will be increased from 605 kg to 620 kg
  • Qaulifying: 8 cars will drop out of the first qualifying session, 8 from the second and as in 2009, 10 cars will shoot-out for pole in the third session. The third session will now be run in low-fuel configuration due to the refuelling ban
  • Wheel covers Banned
  • Kers allowed but FOTA agreement not to use it

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
FIA say Ferrari contractual have to race. Ferrari on the other hand says no such contract exists.

FOTA teams get entries but row goes on
All the current ten Formula 1 teams have received entries for the 2010 world championship - but the controversy is set to rumble on with five squads given a week to drop conditions or lose their slots, and another three likely to object to being entered.

The FIA has also announced that Spanish team Campos Grand Prix, Peter Windsor and Ken Anderson's Team US F1 and surprise candidate Manor Grand Prix have been granted the additional three entries, at the expense of favourites like Lola and David Richards' Prodrive organisation.

Williams and Force India automatically took places in the field having submitted unconditional entries last week.

Red Bull, Ferrari and Toro Rosso also have unconditional places on the list - but this is set to cause further argument, with the FIA expected to insist that all three teams have committed themselves via contracts they signed with the FIA and FOM several years ago.

Ferrari had already indicated that it would take action if the FIA went down this route.

The other five 2009 teams - Brawn, McLaren, Renault, Toyota and BMW Sauber - all appear with provisional entries and are being invited to remove the conditions agreed by the FOTA alliance or face being ejected from the 2010 list.

"These five teams have submitted conditional entries," said an FIA statement.

"The FIA has invited them to lift those conditions following further discussions to be concluded not later than close of business on Friday 19 June."

The statement added that other new teams were being lined up in the event that agreement was not reached with the provisional entrants.

"Pending completion of the discussions referred to above, further due diligence is currently taking place on other potential entries," it said.

Lola, Prodrive, Team Superfund, Spanish constructor Epsilon Euskadi and organisations using the Brabham, Lotus and March names were among the currently unsuccessful applicants for 2010 places.

Last edited:
Soldato
Interesting stuff, I'm surprised not to see ProDrive in there, and for some reason I'm really looking forward to what Team US F1 might do. Also if I'm reading that right Brawn haven't settled on an engine manufacturer for next season?

Soldato
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/76048

FOTA want WMSC to intervene
AUTOSPORT said:
The Formula One Teams' Association (FOTA) has written to the FIA's Senate and World Motor Sport Council urging it to intervene in the row over entries to next year's championship, AUTOSPORT can reveal, as it warns the teams could be forced to walk away.

In an immediate response to the announcement by the FIA that FOTA's members have until June 19 to drop the conditions attached to their entries, the eight members of the teams' organisation pleaded for help in finding a 'swift solution' to the matter.

This comes despite Ferrari, Red Bull Racing and Scuderia Toro Rosso all having been handed full entries to next year's championship - in lieu of commercial agreements made with the FIA and FOM committing them to the sport.

The letter makes it clear these entries were made ‘against the will' of the teams involved.

In the letter, a copy of which has been seen by AUTOSPORT, the FOTA members state that the teams would ‘reluctantly' be forced to seek alternative solutions if the matter is not sorted out by next week.

"All of these teams are united in their concerns about the present situation and are deeply worried about the crisis that Formula 1 now faces, a crisis that appears to be self generated," wrote FOTA.

"The teams wish to find a swift solution to the situation, but in case this can not be done, they will reluctantly have to seek alternative solutions which protect them.

"In a final attempt to resolve this crisis, further meetings are scheduled for the next seven days. We would urge your support to ensure the outcome of these meetings achieves a solution that allows long established competitors to continue in their sport within a framework of sound governance and stability that will ensure the future and sustainability of Formula 1."

FOTA believes that it has not been ‘effective' in communicating with the governing body about its aims - and makes it clear that it wants to work in a ‘positive and constructive manner with the federation' to find a solution.

"Our fundamental wish is to work within a framework of cooperation and dialogue with the Federation to improve Formula 1 and to stop the confrontational and negative approach that has dominated the sport in recent years," the letter added.

"This approach compounded with constant announcements of regulatory changes, resulting from the unstable governance process that exists, has unfortunately created a situation of confusion and uncertainty among the public and sponsors. This situation is adversely affecting the business of both the teams and the organisers."

Furthermore, FOTA believes that the organisation's unhappiness about the way the sport is being run could be eased y the signing of a new Concorde Agreement.

"It is our view that by introducing the balanced and transparent basis of Governance which is defined in the 2009 Concorde Agreement (governance extract enclosed) we can restore a situation where the teams work in harmony with the Federation, a situation which can only be beneficial to all stakeholders.

"Accordingly, we have requested that the FIA join with FOM and the teams to sign a binding agreement that will bring stability at the very earliest opportunity, or alternatively, enter into a separate bi-lateral governance agreement between the teams and the FIA."

The letter added: "We wish to confirm that the teams are prepared to enter into binding commitment to enter in the championship until the end of 2012. This eliminates the misconception that certain teams are going to leave the sport and in doing this Formula 1 will establish a solid and stable platform for the future.

"All of the present competing teams in Formula 1 have significant investments in staff, factories and facilities. We request our level of commitment is respected and that we are allowed to address the changes needed due to the present economic climate in the most effective and efficient way for the participants with the correct governance from the regulatory body, the FIA.

"The existing FOTA teams understand the need to encourage and assist new entrants to the sport and we agree to undertake in good faith any reasonable measures that will help new teams establish their position in Formula 1."

Soldato
The way I read it is that discussions are on going with regard to regulations and budgets between the FOTA teams and the FIA. I know common sense rarely occurs in F1 but I think there will be a compromise resolution and the teams will all stay in now.

The whole contracts to race in F1 is very interesting, I am surprised some teams apparently have them and have been previously committed to the championship! Why and when were these signed though with 3 teams and what about the other teams?

The new teams are a surprise with all the stories of the "Lotus", "March" and "Brabham" entries. USF1 we know about and has been planned for a while. Campos I had to look up again, it is an F3 team and it has financial backing but I have no idea on their car development setup. Manor competition is the big surprise, another Formula 3 team and Nick Wirth who developed the Simtek cars which could have been good if they had more money.

It seems a little odd these teams coming from spec formulas rather than something with development like the LeMans teams but I am sure to beat out the other teams they have things planned out! I hope all three can now put it together and produce a good quick and professional entry! Cosworth is going to supply the three new teams equally so we should at least be able to judge their performance against each other!

As for Prodrive/Lola - they were my favorites for the entry but after not taking up their 2008 entry maybe they have burnt their bridges. Either way there is still hope for the teams that missed out because of the extended deadline and the rumors around some of the manufacturers leaving anyway! I would smile a bit if Renault pulled out then Team Flavio was a new entry (like Brawn) but missed out on a slot to another team.

Soldato
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/76053

Red Bull insists entry still conditional
AUTOSPORT said:
Red Bull has joined Ferrari in saying it will not race in Formula 1 next season if FOTA's demands are not met, despite being granted an entry for 2010.

Red Bull, Toro Rosso and Ferrari were given unconditional entries for next year, while the other five FOTA teams were asked to drop their conditions if they are to race in 2010.

Ferrari, however, made it clear on Friday that it will not race if the conditions demanded by FOTA are not met.

The Italian team has now been followed by Red Bull, who said in a statement it remains committed to FOTA.

"Following the FIA's publication of the entry list for the 2010 FIA Formula One World Championship, Red Bull Racing would like to make it clear that its entry was submitted as a conditional entry, consistent with those of all other FOTA members," said the statement.

"Red Bull Racing remains committed to FOTA and fully endorses all its principles."

Man of Honour
OP
Brabham were never going to get it. The Brabham family had lodged legal proceedings as they have nothing to do with it and did not agree for them to use their name.

Soldato
So, 8 conditional entries and 7 rejected entries? If they had any balls at all, they would have not accepted any of the conditional entries. FOTA needs to up and leave, let the FIA run F1 into the ground.

Soldato
Imagine an all FOTA championship:
Ferrari, McLaren, Redbull1, Redbull2, Renault, BMW, Toyota, Brawn

With an unlimited budget, being hugely technical and all those huge companies would there be anymore teams with the ability to join, I think not. Instantly you upset people because there would have to be customer cars or more works to make up the grid in a constructors championship. Ferrari/McLaren (or other top team) would sell more cars each and marginalise the other teams on the grid. I would have thought it would end in a big argument and fall out with limits to number of cars being allowed to race once again.
Then come a few seasons with all the expenditure and with very little success are the manufacturers (Toyota/Renault/BMW) potentially going to want to stick around at the back throwing these huge sums of money in or are they going to leave for marketing reasons or having achieved their goals ;). What of Brawn and Red Bull2 both teams who may not have the steadiest finances in the future to keep up with the big spenders or to carry on racing.

I know people want the big budget F1, so do in the last 10 years we have had a glorious time with the big manufacturer teams coming in to the sport and taking it to a whole new level. Manufacturers are there to promote their brand and technology and hence they require success which is why they spend so much money on racing. Once they have had their success they generally up sticks and leave soon after only to come back when it suits them. The trouble is manufacturers are coming under pressure from not making so much money, they are under even more pressure to succeed. The budget caps and privateer teams are competition they do not need or want.

The way I see it is Max is trying to make the sport achievable for the privateer teams again so that when the manufacturers sell off their teams they are sold off and do continue on rather than closing up and bringing F1 down. They do need more work on the limits and I hope that this is what they are discussing in this next week.

Soldato
Pigeon it is not the big budget F1 that we want, we just do not think it should be a £40mil budget.

Is Ronaldo really worth 2 seasons worth of F1?

Man of Honour
OP
Prodrive, Lola still hopeful of 2010 slots
Prodrive and Lola say they will be ready to step into the breach for 2010 if the FIA cannot reach agreement with the FOTA teams within the next week.

Cosworth delighted with F1 return
Cosworth says it is delighted to be returning to Formula 1 in 2010 after the legendary manufacturer was confirmed as the engine supplier for the three new teams entering the sport next year.

Soldato
IF Brawn race next year - its a little strange that Mercedes cant supply them with engines if Cosworth is supplying all 3 of the new teams

(this is of course presuming that its not Brawn's choice not to keep Mercedes as their engine supplier - its not like they are having trouble with it after all :D...unless its down to cost, but given the wins so far Im sure Merc would give them a favourable deal given all the good press they are getting)

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Lets hope Cosworth engine get on the podium and push the resale value of my car up a litte :)

Seriously though, nice to see Cosworth back on the grid - it will be interesting to see if they can come up with an engine like the DFV that's worthy of the name.

Soldato
Cosworth have been chosen by the FIA to be the standard engine supplier, therefore they can supply as many teams as chose to use their engines. All other engine manufacturers, so far as I understand it, are only allowed to supply two teams. Mercedes were given dispensation to supply Brawn this year due to the nature of Brawn's last minute existence and the desire to have 10 teams.

Back
Top Bottom