Confess your guilty pleasures...

Soldato
Following a conversation at work a few days back it got me thinking, what are all your guilty pleasures when it comes to music, tv, film, theatre, books and so on. By this, I mean what do you quite enjoy that you feel you really shouldn't.

I expect the obligatory "i just watch/read/listen to what I want, don't care what anyone thinks"...but we've all got something that we like that we probably keep to ourselves.

I'll start the ball rolling..

Lady Gaga, don't want to like her but she's a damn good performer and her songs/music are really quite well written.

Lion King live theatre performance, I got dragged to this and then my jaw was on the floor for 2 hours, one of the best things i've seen.

Books wise I love the anne rice books, but everytime I mention to anyone I just get the "they're gay" response...it's such a shame that Twilight BS is doing so well, anne rice is leagues ahead of stephanie meyers in my eyes.

Babylon 5...star trek fans love to try and rip me apart for this, but B5 is possibly the greatest sci-fi series ever, a close second is BSG. I love how star treks fans claim it ripped off DS9 when in fact, it's the other way around, DS9 writers have even admitted to "borrowing" ideas and the arc formula later in their series. Also, B5 was the first series to run a major arc through all 5 seasons instead of stand alone stories.

I'm sure others will come to mind, but that's it for now.

Go on...confess, you know you want to!

Last edited:
Associate
Lady Gaga, don't want to like her but she's a damn good performer and her songs/music are really quite well written.
Funny you should mention that...I am generally a metal fan, but something about her attitude and her songs does appeal
Babylon 5...star trek fans love to try and rip me apart for this, but B5 is possibly the greatest sci-fi series ever, a close second is BSG. I love how star treks fans claim it ripped off DS9 when in fact, it's the other way around, DS9 writers have even admitted to "borrowing" ideas and the arc formula later in their series. Also, B5 was the first series to run a major arc through all 5 seasons instead of stand alone stories.
I am with you 100% on this, B5 is my favourite series of all time.

So...other guilty pleasures....

No.1 has to be the film Barb Wire. I love it, and not just because it's Pammy in latex :p

A very close second is Scooter, the german techno band that everyone loves to hate. I was a big KLF fan back in the day and I love the way Scooter integrate the KLF tunes and 'universe' into their stuff

I agree with Anne Rice too. I really like the way she deals with sexuality and sensuality in a non-gender specific way (thats the way I get round the 'it's gay' responses...)

Oh.....and processed cheese...its not even food, but slap it in a sandwich and I'm happy :D

Capodecina
Soldato
Music-wise I don't really have any guilty pleasures. I listen to whatever I like, and I don't mind who knows it. However, being a big metal fan means that a lot of people in my peer group hate rap and RnB, and I quite like a lot of what I hear in both genres.

As for films, I do own Cocktail on DVD. And I like it. So ner.

Caporegime
I honestly don't have any, I'd quite happily share any of my music, film, tv tastes with anyone. I get a good ribbing from my friends over some of my music tastes but that doesn't make it a guilty pleasure to me.

Soldato
I'll admit to quite liking Girls Aloud's actual music and singing, as well as the obvious.
Should I feel guilty about absolutely hating Michael Macintyre, the man of the moment apparently?

Soldato
OP
I'll admit to quite liking Girls Aloud's actual music and singing, as well as the obvious.

Same here, obviously they're given everything to sing, told how to dance and so on, but well, they're hot, music is easy on the ears and find myself quite often sitting through a girls aloud top 10 on mtv.

Don
Should I feel guilty about absolutely hating Michael Macintyre, the man of the moment apparently?

He's annoying to look at, but damn is he good at telling stories. His dvd is well worth a watch (see the 'extras' bit first at Apollo, then the main one)

If you don't like him after seeing that, then you may indeed be missing your soul :p

Soldato
Of all the musicals in the world les miserables is one of the only ones I can listen to without ripping my ears and brain out.

It's my girlfriend's favourite so I will be taking her down to London to see the 25th Anniversary show.

Soldato

Go on...confess, you know you want to!

Babylon 5 is awesome. Best sc-fi ever and I am a massive Trek fan as well (there I confessed)

Soldato

Im with you on that! :D I cant stand him!

I dont consider him funny in the slightest, was on the other night and i was totally unimpressed (waiting for more jo brand, which didnt happen lol)!

Why is he liked so much... is there some persuasive power in the world of comedy (someone liked by all) that ended up sayin he was good... so everybody jumped on board!? I dont get it :(

Guilty Pleasure wise... i have recently REALLY been enjoying Star Trek Voyager :\ Just started the 5th season! I also quite like girls aloud... and have actually seen them live!!

Commissario
My guilty pleasures would probably have to be:

Books - Clive Cussler's Dirk Pitt novels, all pretty (very) formulaic, Dirk is near a ship/damsel in distress and saves the day, then has to hunt down the evil doers who have been the cause of mysterious ship losses/deaths, with the help at some crucial moment of a kindly old gent called Cussler who is invariably on a small boat or mule.

Movies - possibly Tremors, great B moive style films :)

Anime - Cardcaptor Sakura (magical cards), and Angelic layer (cyber fighting dolls!) - both aimed at kids but both very good fun to watch :)

TV - I would say B5 but that's not really a guilty pleasure as there is zero guilt to be found in watching it (it's what DS9 tried to be but failed at), so I would say it's probably got to be NCIS or Doctor Who.

Music - probably the Corrs, or Abba - I don't know why but some of the old abba tracks almost get me wanting to sing along (unlike Meatloaf which is not a guilty please and does get me singing along badly to it in the car).

Soldato
Books - I'm a sucker for any stand up comedians books, or any comedian-esque person around. I have all of Kevin Smiths books despite the later ones basically being his diary.

Movies - Action movies that don't take themselves seriously, shoot 'em up and crank, those sort of films basically.

TV - Hmm I guess night time talk shows from america :o and gossip girl, one tree hill .etc

Music - Metallica I guess, they're pretty much the only metal band I can listen to without my ears bleeding, and their songs really get me pumped up

Soldato
I honestly don't have any, I'd quite happily share any of my music, film, tv tastes with anyone. I get a good ribbing from my friends over some of my music tastes but that doesn't make it a guilty pleasure to me.

Basically this.

A few friends thought I was weird for like some of Robbie Williams songs, but meh. You like what you like I think. :)

Back
Top Bottom