Peach Cider meet Canon 450D

Soldato
:eek:

Sat in the pub this afternoon after a two and a half hour drive to watch the first round match in the Alba Challenge Cup whilst discussing cameras the guy opposite me accidentally knocks over his pint of peach cider which cascades beautifully towards the chair where my camera is happily perched completely engulfing it! In an instant while swearing quite loudly I grabbed it and started drying it on my jumper to get rid of any liquid.

I popped open the battery and mem card slots made sure nothing was there (didn't look like there was) rotated the main dial and dial for changing iso aperture etc and there was some liquid until I'd spun it a few times.

Now after all the frantic drying I did manage to take some decent enough shots of the game so I think (fingers crossed) no damage has been done as no liquid reached the sensor or hopefully inside the body at all.

My question is this........the camera is still under warranty (but not insured) is it possible to get it sent back to canon as a precaution to see if it needs anything replaced and if so would it be covered by the warranty? :confused:

Associate
Warranty covers manufacturers defect, not accidently damage. So if anything needs replacing due to liquid damage then you will most likely need to cough up the repair cost.

Soldato
OP
So if anything needs replacing due to liquid damage then you will most likely need to cough up the repair cost.

well the guy who did it said if there was a cost to contact him, so it wouldn't cost me anything :) but as i said nothing seems to be amiss immediately but i have this paranoia that something may seize up in the future should something had got inside.

Associate
Well it might be worth sending it back for a peace of mind. Also depending on whether the drink contains any sugary content which can get sticky overtime.

Soldato
OP
Well it might be worth sending it back for a peace of mind. Also depending on whether the drink contains any sugary content which can get sticky overtime.

thats what I was concerned about, its peach cider so there would be some sort of sugary content to it but i managed to clean most if not all of it off, along with my jacket getting soaked (waterproof) and that hasn't left any kind of sticky residue / stain so dunno.

Soldato
My D300 got soaked in champagne during celebrations at the football club I shoot for during the summer. Quick wipe down and it was fine, got a cracking photo out of it too :D

Soldato
OP
I've emailed canon looking for a quote for a strip down and clean to make sure everything is in working order. obviously they cant quote for any parts they may have to replace but hopefully I'll get something back in the next couple of days

Soldato
OP
well after two weeks of waiting on canon getting back to me (Sends two emails within an hour of each other!) All they had to say was try out one the following places which deal with repairs!

So I've emailed a firm in glasgow ....A.J.Johnstone & Company Limited.....and now waiting to hear back from them. shouldn't have bothered emailing canon as I'd seen this firm mentioned when i was first looking for places to look at my camera.

Soldato
OP
Has anyone dealt with A J Johnstone & Company Limited in Glasgow before for camera repair?

Got an email back from them today saying they'd need to see the camera before quoting a price!

The good thing is I'm in Edinburgh the start of next week so can probably pop across to see them in person to drop off my camera with them.

Soldato
OP
Just had a quote back from the company.

COMPLETE DISMANTLE TO CHECK ALL PCB'S AND CONECTORS FOR SIGNS OF
LIQUID/COROSSIVE DAMAGE AND REPAIR IF NECCESSARY. PLEASE NOTE THAT IF WE FIND ANY DAMAGE THAT CANNOT BE REPAIRED WE WILL PROVIDE A RE-ESTIMATE

£133.40 :(

Does this seem to be a reasonable price for repair?

Associate
Personally, I'd just keep using it and put the money towards another camera when it's time to replace, or if it dies an early death. £133 is a lot of money to dismantle, without reparing or even cleaning anything.

Soldato
Personally, I'd just keep using it and put the money towards another camera when it's time to replace, or if it dies an early death. £133 is a lot of money to dismantle, without reparing or even cleaning anything.

The quote says "and repair if necessary" which I assume means clean. It also means if there's nothing that's made it inside then it will still cost £133. If someone else is paying then IMO it's definitely worth getting done as replacing your 450D could end up costing you a lot more. Even if you plan to upgrade, you'll get a lot more money back for a working camera.

Back
Top Bottom