Cancel your Orange contract now!

Associate
Hah, wish I saw this sooner, have been stuck with Orange far too long. Stupidly bad reception anytime I want to use the phone. Luckily my contract runs out in a few weeks anyway!

Soldato
I'm starting a contract with Orange tomorrow... 1200 mins, unlimited texts and 500MB data.

I will never use anywhere near 1200 minutes and almost certainly wont go over 500MB of data so I reckon I'll be a-ok.

Soldato
I'm starting a contract with Orange tomorrow... 1200 mins, unlimited texts and 500MB data.

I will never use anywhere near 1200 minutes and almost certainly wont go over 500MB of data so I reckon I'll be a-ok.

That's reassured me as I'm moving onto the exact same contract as you :p My heart sank when I noticed this thread..

Associate
Hi guys

Im with orange with a nokia E71 which i started about 3 months ago on a 24month plan.

Can i cancel my contract with them for the changes in this pricing, keep my phone number and phone and then take out a brand new contract with them including a new phone with the same card online?

I know its cheeky but i just wondered

Soldato
That's reassured me as I'm moving onto the exact same contract as you :p My heart sank when I noticed this thread..

I reset the data counter on my phone today and used the net slightly more than I usually would. I calculated that I'd use ~300MB of data per month if I were to use the same amount of data as I did today over 25 days in a month(I don't use it much at all on weekends). So that leaves me with an extra ~200MB of leeway. :)

Soldato

I have a similar contract to that on orange, how much are you paying pm, if you don't mind me asking?

Man of Honour
So can someone actually tell me what's changed? I read through the first page of that link and it was all alarmist claptrap with no facts. I'm not sure I can make it through the other 10 pages without tearing my brain out.

Please, the facts.

PS - I've already requested a PAC, but not for this reason, and that doesn't mean I'm leaving.

Associate
OP
Hi guys

Im with orange with a nokia E71 which i started about 3 months ago on a 24month plan.

Can i cancel my contract with them for the changes in this pricing, keep my phone number and phone and then take out a brand new contract with them including a new phone with the same card online?

I know its cheeky but i just wondered

Yes, you can request a PAYG sim card with your contract number ported to it. You can then take out a new Orange contract and then transfer the number from PAYG to contract. But why would you cancel due to terms on conditions you are not happy with to then sign up to a new Orange contract bound by the new T&C’s?

This only works if you have had the text message. They have a log of all internal messages sent to you and a "Matrix" of who is eligible.

Soldato
I'm trying to find out if its applicable to business phones i have 11 and been screwed over £5000 cashback by dealer so stuck paying £410 per month for another 14 months

Associate
OP
So can someone actually tell me what's changed? I read through the first page of that link and it was all alarmist claptrap with no facts. I'm not sure I can make it through the other 10 pages without tearing my brain out.

Please, the facts.

PS - I've already requested a PAC, but not for this reason, and that doesn't mean I'm leaving.

Changes to your monthly plan============================
From 14 September we'll be changing the cost of mobile internet browsing
and some calls outside of the allowance included in your plan.

Mobile internet browsing down to just 58.7p a day
=================================================
From 23 September our mobile browsing charges are changing. Instead of
paying £2.94 per MB up to a maximum of £1.47 per day, you will be
charged a flat rate of 58.7p per day, subect to a 25MB fair use policy.
If you have a mobile internet browsing bundle this will also be the
daily rate applied if you go over your allowance. [1]

Calls in the UK
===============
From 14 September if you exceed your inclusive minutes, the minimum call
charge will be 14.7p for calls made to mobiles, fixed lines and your
Answer Phone. If you regularly use more than your inclusive minutes we
have alternative call plans that could benefit you. [2]

Soldato
I have a similar contract to that on orange, how much are you paying pm, if you don't mind me asking?

£30 per month but the place I'm buying from is paying for half my line rental for nine months. So, £15 for nine months and then £30 thereafter and I'm also getting £40 cashback from Quidco.

EDIT: To the above... That's not exactly terrible in my book...

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes, you can request a PAYG sim card with your contract number ported to it. You can then take out a new Orange contract and then transfer the number from PAYG to contract. But why would you cancel due to terms on conditions you are not happy with to then sign up to a new Orange contract bound by the new T&C’s?

This only works if you have had the text message. They have a log of all internal messages sent to you and a "Matrix" of who is eligible.

Not quite correct it only counts IF they have changed your T&C's which if they have they should have sent a text message

Man of Honour
OK, neither of those apply to me (I use about 10% of my bundle), so false alarm. :)

I did once get stung for about £50 for a day's mobile internet though (Orange reversed it as it was their error), so glad to hear that's been 'fixed'.

Associate

Im sure i have had the txt but i normally just delete all txts from orange!

Like i said, im being cheeky... i could keep my E71 (would it work on orange sim cards still or need unlocking?) and give it to my dad. Then i could take a new contract out and get a new phone :)

Soldato
I've not received the text, but seeing as I got my phone around December this definitely applies to me. I'll see what they say tomorrow and get back to everyone.

Soldato
not sure if I recieved that text message, can't seem to find it tho I did flash my touch hd with dutty's winmo 6.5 r8 rom couple of day ago and lost a couple of the messages I didn't back up.

I don't use anywhere near my minutes and use the wifi at home 99.99% of the time(till the last week/2 weeks) so it shouldn't effect me but as I'm jobless 1 less expense would be welcome. so will ring up and see if I can get it cancled, still have 11months left on my contract(month 7 just started couple of days ago).

oh by the way its racoon 30 internet(i.e. £25/month) with £5/month 500mb anytime bundle with the htc touch hd, didn't get the 500mb thrown in like many of the people on here and xda forums did when they upgraded to the touch hd.

Soldato
Just got off the phone to Orange who have said I'm definitely not impacted and that my minimum call charge will not be increasing despite my contract dating back to December 2008....which is bizarre.

Back
Top Bottom