Hitting the wall. How to tell ?

Soldato
Cardio - When I can't push myself any further/longer than the previous week. I will keep trying for a few weeks and then take a rest if that doesn't work.

Weights - When I can no longer move up the weight any more. I will attempt the following week and if that doesn't work then I will substitute that exercise for something else and then return back to the exercise in a couple of weeks.

I don't measure or weigh myself and so I can't tell if I make any gains apart from what I can see in the mirror and since that is a slow progress and you won't really be able to tell since you see yourself everyday, it's not really a concern of mine.

Associate
OP
Thanks Smit,

Interesting, I was looking at hitting the wall with everything at the same time and them would have looked at moving to the 5*5 training but from what you are saying, I gather that I may hit blocks on certian exercises at different times which makes that 'next stage' a bit more tricky.

Sounds like a good idea with swapping out the exercise for a couple of weeks and giving it a two week no gain as the cut off point for a change.

Weighing is no good as my weight has gone from 106Kg -> 104Kg -> 102.4 -> 103Kg and my diet is on or below my MBR of around 2000 cals/day.

Mirror is good but has the limitations you mention although I can see improvements from chest & arms upwards. Waist is getting there but still have the tummy between the waist and chest which will be good when it is gone.

I really must get some photos :D

Cheers
RB

Soldato
Photos can be good :)
I tend to find it's friends/family I haven't seen in a while that are the best judge since they immediately can notice if something is different.

The reason I swap out the exercises is that possibly a different exercise will hit the muscle in a different way and therefore make that muscle stronger overall. I don't know if it works or if it's all psychological though because quite often these walls are in your mind.

Associate
OP
I am sort of lucky with my folks still in the UK, the weekly webcam sessions so they can see the kids gives them a chance to see the progress.

No GI Joe tonight due to the lateness once I have done my weights session and got home so maybe some photos.

Cheers
RB

Associate
Ive never done 5x5's as i dont really like the idea....but Ive mostly worked on higher rep sets...8's..10...12's. My theory is generally....if i can do 10's I up the weight. If i can do 8's but not 10's..i stick on it till i can do nearly 10's then i up the weight and so on. If i feel like upping the weight just for the ell of it..i do it. Do how you feel at the time...some days you are stonger and more energetic than others. It doesnt mean you arent gaining/improoving.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Ive never done 5x5's as i dont really like the idea....but Ive mostly worked on higher rep sets...8's..10...12's. My theory is generally....if i can do 10's I up the weight. If i can do 8's but not 10's..i stick on it till i can do nearly 10's then i up the weight and so on. If i feel like upping the weight just for the ell of it..i do it. Do how you feel at the time...some days you are stonger and more energetic than others. It doesnt mean you arent gaining/improoving.

Understood. With squats I find that when I up the weight (like last night) I tend to be a little less steady and not able to go so low with certianty of being able to get back up again. On the second day with that weight the stabilisation usually catches up and the depth is better, after a third day with that weight I can, hopefully, get good form and at that point I will up the weight. I am trying to lift safely especially as I am lifting alone and am therefore also a little cautious. I was surprised how much difference the difficulty in the squats were after only adding another 5Kg (to 70Kg). 70Kg was hard (high heart rate and breathing etc after each set) but I was wobbling and really felt my legs getting hammered especially my inner thighs and they are aching today. It's all good though :D.

Cheers
RB

Associate
Ye..sometimes adding just 5kg makes a huge difference. however...struggling is good...if you go back and do the same again next time... it will be slightly easier. Once you can do what you set out to do..a full 5x5..stick it up again another 5kg. If you feel 5kg jusmp is to much...go with 2.5 more. As long as you are progressing its all good. pain is good the day after...it means you done soemthing worthwhile. After a while of constant training you dont get DOMS/soreness really...its more just tired and a bit stiff...until you go on holiday!

Associate
OP
I am very glad at the stiffness in my shoulders as I feel they are my week point. Finally they are starting to hurt, not that I love pain or anything. Oh and my butt is a little err sore :eek: in a DOMS err good way :p of course. First time I have ever had that.

Associate
hehe...mega ass DOMS are great. there been a few times ive sat down at PC or TV after a heavy legs session and couldnt get up for about 5-10 minutes for pain. I get this mostlty when i do squats followed by RDL's...dont think my hamstrings can handle what the rest of my legs can.

Back
Top Bottom