Best fan layout Antec 300

Associate
Im looking to improve the air flow in my system, currently only using the two stock antec 3 speed fans.

I was just wondering if this is the best way to do it...

antec300.jpg

Soldato
Could be worth trying it with the top fan as an intake (only issue being dust).

This is the layout of my Silverstone Fortress and it keeps things pretty cool in there using positive airflow (more in than out, forcing the cool air through the case)

Soldato
With my Antec 902, i have:

-Front two intake, forcing air into the case.
-Side fan aiming at the graphics card, but also forcing more cool air into the case creating the positive pressure you want.
-Top and rear fans as exhaust.

Then position your CPU to exhaust air out of the rear of the case. The first reason for doing so is that the CPU fan has the cooler air from the front two intakes. If you had it the other way, the fan isnt in the direction of the airflow from the front. Instead it'll take the warmer air from the graphics card (which rises). Yes, warm air does rise, but the warm air from the CPU will still be exhausted by the top fan regardless if it is pointed at it directly. Secondly, if you position your CPU this way, it keeps a constant direction of air flow. If you are considering a push/pull setup, this is pretty much your best option. It'll keep the airflow constantly in the same direction.

I've tried both orientations, and this always yields lower temps.

Associate
OP
Cool, my two new akasa blue 120mm led fans are coming in the next few days. Ill post some pics when it arrives :)

You will have to ignore the graphics card though (nvidia 7900GS) it kind of sucks, upgrading to a 4870 when the money comes in :)

Soldato
intake bottom front, exhaust top rear...with no side intake directing air to your card or CPU........... this disrupts the airflow between the intake and exhaust.

on my new case the intake fans are moved right back, close to the graphics card, with nothing blocking their way... the case is freezing cold inside...it's like a fridge and i'm not bull****ting at all.

i cant wait to run it next year....damn, this lack of money is so frustrating :mad:

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2627485300105369285pJSQDv

the weak link in mine is the roof fan, that needs to run quite slowly

Last edited:
Soldato
Thats what im going to do, just wanted to improve the cooling before i stick a 4870 in the case :)

yea, i got rid of the hdd cage/ rack, whatever you want to call it..this luckily left two tunnels. i then put 2 fans near the front of them.... easy.

with mine, i cant remove the internal vertical side panels, because the front panel grills attach directly to them... this is a huge dissapointment, i wouldn't have brought the case if i had known this...they're so damned ugly.

i can only remove them if i redesign the front grills

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom