Whey AA profiles. What to look for ?

Associate
A number of people have mentioned that they use Whey when they feel they need to but the ones they use have a very good amino acid profile.

So the question is, what to look for and how to recognise a good amino acid profile when selecting a whey powder to use ?

Cheers
RB

Associate
OP
Just for anyones interest I have also come across this site (True Protein) from the US where you can order your own mixes / flavorings / blends (WPI WPC) packaging etc.

Some people from Singapore use them So I expect they will deliver to the UK.

RB

Soldato
So the question is, what to look for and how to recognise a good amino acid profile when selecting a whey powder to use ?

If I'm honest, I just go for pure whey, or Impact Blend whey from myprotein, and the AA that come with it.

However if you're talking those AA which you can even buy seperately, I have read up a lot on L-Glutamine, this time around I am using myprotein's MPMax Protein XS, which has it already in there. Not happy at all with the mixability and taste (like its got salt in there!) and cant really comment on any major changes however I do feel like, if I look back on the last week or 2, I have done a lot more running and work at the gym. Suggesting a placebo, or the glutamine helping to recover quicker.

When I run out I'll be looking to buy the Nutrisport 90+ hopefully, and any other supplements seperately

Caporegime
eat protein, thats about all you need to know. Frankly the complexities of protein amino acid profiles is such that you can't possibly know what you will absorb. The very presence of other proteins in certain quantities effects how well you absorb and use other proteins.

You can take whey, and dump an extra 60% of one amino acid in, that doesn't mean your body will absorb or use it all.

The testing done suggests which profiles absorb the best and whey, is the undoubted winner by a country mile. Egg has a 100 score on the scale as its the best protein you normally find(unprocessed in any way), most meats are in the 80-60 range I believe, and things like soy, milk etc are below them with other things offering worse profiles that absorb less well. On the same scale, Whey, which will always have the rough same basic profile, scores a 140-150 on that same scale. Its the very balance of the profile that makes it absorbable, you cange the profile you change how well its absorbed, so realistically its entirely pointless changing the profile.

AS with all things, its incredibly hard if not impossible to quantify how much a specific protein might help you and the differences will be minimal, sometimes you take it on a week you simply had better energy, better sleep or ate better or grew enough muscle to make exercise X, Y and Z or cardio X, y or z seem easier that week. Likewise other people will be having a bad week, take some and think its garbage.

Stick with basic, cheap but decent whey and you can't go wrong, if you start spending money on every last possible helpful thing, well theres no end in sight as there will always be something someone thinks you need to be "perfect". 98% is good enough and a lot cheaper.

Soldato
If I'm honest, I just go for pure whey, or Impact Blend whey from myprotein, and the AA that come with it.

However if you're talking those AA which you can even buy seperately, I have read up a lot on L-Glutamine, this time around I am using myprotein's MPMax Protein XS, which has it already in there. Not happy at all with the mixability and taste (like its got salt in there!) and cant really comment on any major changes however I do feel like, if I look back on the last week or 2, I have done a lot more running and work at the gym. Suggesting a placebo, or the glutamine helping to recover quicker.

When I run out I'll be looking to buy the Nutrisport 90+ hopefully, and any other supplements seperately

I've got the chocolate nutrisport 90+, it's very good. Not too bad tasting either :) Less than 200kcals per serving of 46g of protein.

Associate
OP
eat protein, thats about all you need to know. Frankly the complexities of protein amino acid profiles is such that you can't possibly know what you will absorb. The very presence of other proteins in certain quantities effects how well you absorb and use other proteins.

You can take whey, and dump an extra 60% of one amino acid in, that doesn't mean your body will absorb or use it all.

The testing done suggests which profiles absorb the best and whey, is the undoubted winner by a country mile. Egg has a 100 score on the scale as its the best protein you normally find(unprocessed in any way), most meats are in the 80-60 range I believe, and things like soy, milk etc are below them with other things offering worse profiles that absorb less well. On the same scale, Whey, which will always have the rough same basic profile, scores a 140-150 on that same scale. Its the very balance of the profile that makes it absorbable, you cange the profile you change how well its absorbed, so realistically its entirely pointless changing the profile.

AS with all things, its incredibly hard if not impossible to quantify how much a specific protein might help you and the differences will be minimal, sometimes you take it on a week you simply had better energy, better sleep or ate better or grew enough muscle to make exercise X, Y and Z or cardio X, y or z seem easier that week. Likewise other people will be having a bad week, take some and think its garbage.

Stick with basic, cheap but decent whey and you can't go wrong, if you start spending money on every last possible helpful thing, well theres no end in sight as there will always be something someone thinks you need to be "perfect". 98% is good enough and a lot cheaper.

Ok so just go for a whey protein with the minimum of additives at a reasonible price. Low cal for fat loss and high cal for weight gain.

I am currently using EAS 100% whey protein (120cal for 23g protein) which was the best protein to cal whey they had (GNC) although they quite effetively hit me around the head with the idiot stick without out me noticing when they charged me Sin$220 per 5lbs tub (I got two as they were buy one, get one free). I have since found out that the same brand and type can be bought in Singapore from what looks like a respected website for Sin$78 per 5lbs. The next time I went in to the shop I told them what a ripoff they were.

RB

Associate
OP
Thanks FF (your up early ;)).

The one I use is this;

eas100percentwheypicture.png

eas100percentwheystats.png

eas100percentwheyaaprofile.png

Would be interesting to get info of others if people are willing.

Cheers
RB

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I have heard of people like you but thought they were only a myth.

I love my sleeping in until I really have to get up. Shame that with a son who has to be in school by 7:15 I tend to get dragged out of bed regardless.

I am more of a night owl than an early riser.

RB

Man of Honour
Oh I love my sleep, and I do sleep well (however I can't physically sleep more than 7-8hrs), but I tend to go to bed between 2200-2300hrs. I sleep deeply - WW3 could be going off outside I wouldn't hear it. I train so hard in the afternoon/early evening that I just about have enough energy for food, shower and a bit of relaxation/forum/reading before bed. :p

Man of Honour
I don't like the sucralose and acesulfame potassium that they add to it or the fact it's got artificial flavours. It's got a lot more additives than it should need IMO. It's just a personal thing and shouldn't be an issue but for me it's just not good enough. The AA profile is fine, but there is some even better stuff out there with better concentration g for g.

Associate
OP
Im lucky to get to bed before midnight and this is my greatest failing for my new lifestyle. Damn my wife and her Korean soap operas she like to watch in bed ;).

Ok, so not bad but not the best. This is the vanilla flavor one by the way and the taste is good IMHO.

Any other brand / type to look out for with a better KCal to Protein ratio so I can see if I can find it here. Needs to be big brand and My Protein is currently out as I have had no reply to the enquiry I sent them earlier this week. Bulk suppliments contact us form didn't work when I tried.

Cheers
RB

Man of Honour
Erm... well I'm out as I tend to only use those 2!!

Sleep is important though. If you do sleep short hours do you sleep deeply?

I personally love getting up early and getting on with the day, it gives me the opportunity to have a big breakfast too which is great! :D

Associate
OP
I love early mornings for the peacefullness. I hate getting up early :D.

I used to love coming home at 5am Sunday morning in central London to deserted streets. Fantastic feeling. Very 'Seven days later'.

I am a light sleeper although this morning I completely missed my alarm clock and woke up an hour late. This is the second time this week that my alarm has been missed. I do usually hear if my wife comes to bed late or gets up to pop to the toilet. I really have to get earlier nights but it is tricky with a family who hates early nights and 10pm onwards is the only time for the 'adults' :).

I have found that my sleeping has improved dramtically since I gave up smoking (tobacco - rollups) in Oct 2008.

RB

Man of Honour
I bet. The advantage of being single with no kids and living in a quiet neighbourhood I guess.

Sleep is vital though, so as long as you feel well rested you should be ok.

Quitting smoking is another fantastic acheivement and no doubt has helped you more than anything else you've done. :)

London is a hustling bustling city at all hours of the day, though with some apathy, unlike on the continent which seems to be just slightly more "let's get it done, and done well".

"Adult" time is necessary, it's important to focus on relationships as well - but it's getting that balance I guess. :) I dedicate weekends to recovery as well, and gorging myself on food! :p

Associate
OP
I dedicate weekends to recovery as well, and gorging myself on food! :p

That is what got me in to my pre lifestyle change state in the first place :eek::D.

5am around Livepool Street station on a Sunday morning is dead quiet. Fantastic. You almost feel the city is yours alone.

IThe advantage of being single with no kids and living in a quiet neighbourhood I guess

Yes I can think of a few others as well especially the single bit with the build you now have. I am getting to the place I should have been 15 years ago to enable me to have enjoyed life to the full. Mind you I did ok without ;).

You've still got a few years to catch me up yet (marriage and kids that is) :eek:.

RB

Man of Honour
You have got a handful of years on me but you're not THAT old :p

I love going to the Billingsgate fish market at 4-5am - you get some bargains and fish by the kilo. It's incredible. It's an effort though even for me! :D

Funnily enough I do seem to get more attention these days, though I get some from men too :eek: (Usually drunk chavs who always pick on the biggest guy from the group friends I'm with, typically me :( Though never had any issues really. :))

As for the weekends, I still train at weekends, but often train even harder than during the week, and it's the tme I catch up on more sleep and more food. Hasn't done me any harm to date though!! :D

Back
Top Bottom