Overclockers UK Forums Click here for more details
Free Shipping for Loyal Forum Members - CLICK HERE

Go Back   Overclockers UK Forums > Audio Visual > Home Cinema & Hi-Fi

Old 6th Sep 2009, 17:01   #1
julianhj
Hitman

Which cartridge for a Technics 1210 deck?

I've given my old Technics deck a thorough clean as after years of inactivity it's going to get lots of use in the near future as I am going to be recording all of my vinyl on to my PC.

The current cartridge/stylus is the original Stanton 500. I think as I'm planning on doing this only once, and the cartridge has already had so much use that I might as well stick a new one on. It would seem from some Googling that the 500 is no longer in production, so just getting a new stylus doesn't seem to be an option. I like the look of the integrated headshell designs from Ortofon and Stanton, but I'm not planning on doing any mixing or scratching again, so can't see the benefit.

In terms of just getting some decent sound quality, what is my best bet for a budget of around 30?
julianhj is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 6th Sep 2009, 17:39   #2
Caged
Capodecina

I'll start off by saying that the 1210 isn't the best choice of deck for archiving, but it depends what sort of quality you're after. How are you getting the deck into your PC? I'll let someone else answer the cartridge question because I've never really dealt with that sort of budget.

I got the call too early to grab a shower, so I had to make do with a quick rinse round the key areas.
Caged is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 6th Sep 2009, 18:44   #3
julianhj
Hitman

I have an M-Audio 2496 PCI card, so I'm running the deck through a spare Harman Kardon amp in to the card.
Old 6th Sep 2009, 23:02   #4
biron_w
Soldato

I had ortofon on my decks when I had them and they are superb.Not sure how much an ortofon cart and needle is though.The standard cart is good but you have to make sure you fasten it on straight(it's got 2 screws) otherwise the sound comes out funny.Or go for the concorde which is slightly more but better quality.

Xbox Live - TheBironicMan. PSN - Lord_bir0n
biron_w is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 7th Sep 2009, 10:07   #5
julianhj
Hitman

Cheers, I'm under the impression that both Stanton and Ortofon basic carts are around 30. I'll give it a bit more thought. I might even throw caution (and money!) to the wind and get a fancy headshell version...
Old 7th Sep 2009, 11:44   #6
biron_w
Soldato

This http://www.djstore.com/item/ortompro.htm is what I had on my decks at one point.Very good.
I then upgraded to these http://www.decks.co.uk/products/cart...on/concordepro.
If you're only using it to put your vinyl on your PC i'm not sure the increased price is really worth it.

Xbox Live - TheBironicMan. PSN - Lord_bir0n
biron_w is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 7th Sep 2009, 15:00   #7
lofz
Gangster

I have the Concorde Pro S Cart on my USB deck currently and it works a treat most of the time. However if your archiving worn vinyl with tiny grooves you might be better getting something with a thinner stylus.

When money is a bit more free flowing I'm planning on upgrading to this for archiving -

http://www.decks.co.uk/products/cart...concorde_arkiv.

On my Deck downstairs I have a Ortofan OM20 and the sound quality is far better as the stylus sits deeper in the groove.

My Upstairs deck is a KAM DDX4500 USB

Downstairs is a Project Debut 3

Last edited by lofz; 7th Sep 2009 at 15:02. Reason: typo
lofz is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote