Help to choose. Asus?

Associate
I have been spending the last like 4 days trying to decide on a monitor. It is going to be used for general PC and PS3 usage. I play a lot of Street Fighter so the less input lag, the better.

Since it is mainly for Street Fighter, i wanted to go for the Asus monitor that they used in a popular SF tournament afew months ago. Unfortunately, it looks like that particular model they used is US only. The monitor they used was the Asus VH236H. I looked around abit and came across a similar model from OCUK. The UK one is not as good as the US one in contrast ratio. Both 2ms response time though.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-013-AS&groupid=17&catid=949&subcat=

Now, i was about to get that when i also saw the Asus VH222H which is also on OCUK. The difference here is that this monitor has 20,000:1 contrast ratio but 5ms response time.

I should opt for the VH222H right? I don't think 3ms makes that big a difference.

Soldato
If I were you, give this monitor a look. Review here and here.

The difference between 2ms and 5ms is negligible as it is so damn fast, the human eye simply can't detect the difference (especially if you consider the image is only updated every 20ms or so). Also, input lag usually comes with a larger delay than response time - so it is more likely to affect your gaming.

Another idea would be to have a look at the new 120Hz monitors, which are supposed to be awesome for gaming (though only using inferior TN panels at the moment).

Last edited:
Associate
OP
That Dell is coming close to my 200 budget. It does look nice i must say. Only thing i can see is no HDMI and 1680x1050. I'm really looking for a 1080p display. I'm currently on a 1680x1050 Samsung and looking for that bit extra aswell you see. ;)

Those 120Hz monitors are a tad expensive for me.

Thanks

Associate
Its real hard choosing monitors, if you think about it its prolly the most important piece of PC gear you are likely to buy as when your PC is on its the only thing you are looking at. I always check the specs first but then search round the local PC shops to actually see the monitor I'm interested in.
I'm currently looking to get a 22" 1080p same as you and narrowed it down to the vh222h or the Lg2261v, spec wise they both tick all the boxes, including the 3.5mm jack. One concern I have about the LG is that power light dangling down from it. I would be annoyed if in a darkened room all I could see was a plastic illuminated scrotum hanging off the bottom on my screen.

Back
Top Bottom