Dell 2209WA or Samsung SM2443BW

Associate
After much deliberation, I have rounded my choice for a new monitor down to these two. In the blue corner - the Dell 2209WA, 22 inches of e-IPS quality, and in the red corner, the 24" Samsung SM2443BW, with a lesser panel but more room and a higher res.

Which one folks? I'm upgrading from a three year old 19" Viewsonic VX922, which in one aspect is still very impressive, namely low lag with 75Hz refresh.

My viewing needs / situation is as follows:

• Reason for upgrade - more space needed for desktop usage, and to enhance my gaming experience.
  • Viewing angles not an issue, the monitor will be located in a recessed area, and will only ever be viewed straight on.
  • Usage will be gaming - fast FPS mainly, and email / browsing. I enjoy photography, and do a bit of graphics / photo editing on occasion. A bit of iPlayer is likely too.
  • Interfaces not an issue, happy with DVI, anything extra is a bonus.
  • Graphics are courtesy of a 1Gb 4870.

I'm very much drawn towards the Dell, it seems to have low input lag and that high quality panel. My only concern is, will I sit in front of it and think "damn, should have gone for a 24"..."?

Will my viewing situation make the 'shortcomings' of the Samsung's TN panel less of an issue - especially as it has a very adjustable stand?

Is my 4870 up to 1920 x 1200?

Does the Samsung have worse input lag than the Dell despite being a TN, as it's a 24"? I would choose what seems to be the Samsung monitor that is the not so well known model in the range! I can't find any really good online reviews of the SM2443BW, although I assume it's panel is the same as the T240.

Any opinions are welcome, and I do understand that monitor advice is a very individual thing... :D

Man of Honour
You'll probably like the better quality of the Dell screen more than the extra real-estate of the 24"...I've got the Sammy and it's a good screen, and I chose it simply for the resolution - quality/response/viewing angle/colour accuracy don't bother me at all.

Soldato
The dell is a rather awesome gaming screen, as you said low input lag and response time - also the colours are fantastic. It would certainly be (and was) my pick. Of course it isn't quite as big as the Samsung, but its the old balance of Quantity vs Quality.

Also to bear in mind, the Dell comes with a "premium pixel guarantee" and a dell next working day replacement program, so if you have any problems dell send a guy to swap the monitor on your doorstep the next day.

Soldato
I have the Samsung and I've been very happy with it (this is coming from a 22" CRT owner who used to play Quake II rather a lot at tweaked framerates for railgunning).

The input lag is non-existent, as is ghosting.

There was a review somewhere showing it had very low input lag, but I forget where.

Associate
OP
The dell is a rather awesome gaming screen, as you said low input lag and response time - also the colours are fantastic. It would certainly be (and was) my pick. Of course it isn't quite as big as the Samsung, but its the old balance of Quantity vs Quality.

Also to bear in mind, the Dell comes with a "premium pixel guarantee" and a dell next working day replacement program, so if you have any problems dell send a guy to swap the monitor on your doorstep the next day.
I'm swinging in this direction...!

Soldato
The Dell 2209WA has low input lag, it's very good for gaming and the image quality of an IPS panel is extremely nice.I've seen some reviews where people have stated they would even pay £300 for that monitor so you work it out.:p

I've read 10+ reviews on that monitor(i was going to buy it if i didn't have enough for the HP LP2475w) and all have rated it near perfect with some saying it's the best 22 inch they've ever reviewed.

Remember although the resolution may be not as high as the other....the image quality is a lot more lively(you can really notice it in Mirror's Edge for example) and you can just put 16xAA on all games anyway.

Associate
OP
I have the Samsung and I've been very happy with it (this is coming from a 22" CRT owner who used to play Quake II rather a lot at tweaked framerates for railgunning).

The input lag is non-existent, as is ghosting.

There was a review somewhere showing it had very low input lag, but I forget where.
Sounds promising too, looks like both monitors are good in their respective ways. Keep opinions coming if you have them, I've not agonised over a hardware purchase as much as this one, probably because everything else is more "measurable" than monitors, which are more subjective...

Soldato
Sounds promising too, looks like both monitors are good in their respective ways. Keep opinions coming if you have them, I've not agonised over a hardware purchase as much as this one, probably because everything else is more "measurable" than monitors, which are more subjective...

cmndr_andi, summed it up pretty well with regard to the DELL. If size isn't an issue then the DELL with it's superior screen and premium pixel guarantee is a great choice.

I own 2 of them and consciously made the decision to get a smaller panel with a superior screen - i have not regretted it.

That doesn't mean to say that the Samsung is a bad screen - it's just 2209WA is an excellent one, and coupled with the dead pixel guarantee and DELL after sales service, overall, it’s excellent value for the money. (The DELL warranty was the deciding factor in purchasing my first monitor – the picture and screen quality was the reason I purchased a second.)

But as you've stated it's a subjective matter – ideally you would compare them before you bought, but the reality of achieving this is improbable :/

Decisions decisions…

(Oddly enough I upgraded from a ViewSonic 17” (great monitor) so the size jump was significant for me. I can see why you’re hesitant about jumping from a 19” to a 22” but if size isn’t an issue then the DELL makes an overall compelling argument to be bought.)

Associate
OP
But as you've stated it's a subjective matter – ideally you would compare them before you bought, but the reality of achieving this is improbable :/

Decisions decisions…

(Oddly enough I upgraded from a ViewSonic 17” (great monitor) so the size jump was significant for me. I can see why you’re hesitant about jumping from a 19” to a 22” but if size isn’t an issue then the DELL makes an overall compelling argument to be bought.)
You sum up my predicament perfectly, the only thing stopping me buying the Dell is the not-massive jump in size, which is one of my main reasons for wanting to upgrade. I've tried many times to find some quality screens in the high street to compare, with no success.
I don't think I've seen an IPS screen in the flesh - unless Apple's use them (Apple screens do look nice, so maybe?).
Therefore it's harder for me to visualise the advantage of the Dell, as it's superior image quality is the factor that would swing me from the Samsung, if you see what I mean?
The fact is ideally I'd go for a 24" IPS, but just can't justify the extra cash required. That and the fact that in a year or two I expect panel technology to have moved on and 24" 120Hz IPS displays to be available...
I'd love a link to an SM2443BW review if anyone can dig one out?

Associate
ive just got the SM2443BW ,default setting are terrible but when set up its an excellent monitor
btw i use manly for games and photo editing

Associate
I bought a Samsung SM2443BW a few weeks ago (upgrading from a 19"), and the image quality seems pretty decent to me. However, viewing angles are an issue with TN panels, vertical viewing angles especially. I find that simply changing my posture (eg. sitting up straight vs slouching) changes the (perceived) brightness of the display, which is very annoying.

Though in my case, I'd rather have the extra couple of inches, as even a 24" monitor doesn't seem very large once you've got used to using it, and coming from a (5:4) 19", you expect that extra height.

So yeah, I faced the same decision and went for the extra screen real estate, and while I do wish I had an IPS panel (like you I can't afford to spend £400 on a screen), I feel I made the right choice, overall. Though, I can't guarantee you'll feel the same way.

I would take a look some at 22" and 24" screens in a shop, if you haven't already, just to get an idea of whether you would be comfortable using a 22".

Associate
OP
I bought a Samsung SM2443BW a few weeks ago (upgrading from a 19"), and the image quality seems pretty decent to me. However, viewing angles are an issue with TN panels, vertical viewing angles especially. I find that simply changing my posture (eg. sitting up straight vs slouching) changes the (perceived) brightness of the display, which is very annoying.

Though in my case, I'd rather have the extra couple of inches, as even a 24" monitor doesn't seem very large once you've got used to using it, and coming from a (5:4) 19", you expect that extra height.

So yeah, I faced the same decision and went for the extra screen real estate, and while I do wish I had an IPS panel (like you I can't afford to spend £400 on a screen), I feel I made the right choice, overall. Though, I can't guarantee you'll feel the same way.

I would take a look some at 22" and 24" screens in a shop, if you haven't already, just to get an idea of whether you would be comfortable using a 22".
A useful post, thanks for your comments. As said above, a side-by-side comparison is what I need, but it's not likely...
Decisions... maybe This Week Only will help on Wednesday!

Associate
OP
OK, I've had a revelation. Why agonise over these two monitors when there is... (drum roll) - buy now pay in six months! Suddenly for a mere £25.00 and 10% (and some discipline to gather the £200.00 or so balance) - I can have IPS *and* 24 inches.

So, I find my self sitting between the Dell U2410 and the HP LP2475w. A nice place to be. I'm leaning towards the Dell as it looks nicer, and has gamer mode.

Come on folks, help me spend the most I've ever spent on a single PC item :D:D

I must stress gaming is a big part of my usage, so the better gaming monitor is what I want...

Back
Top Bottom