• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

HIS Radeon 5870 performance problems

Ryx

Ryx

Associate
I’m not sure if anyone can help – I’m having problems with my newly installed HIS Radeon 5870. It doesn’t seem to be running at full speed (Windows 7’s Experience Index test rates it at only 2.0) and video playback (in both Quicktime and Windows Media Player) suffers from judder and flicker. The system ran perfectly with the previous graphics card and since its install the sound, even on standard windows sounds, crackles (I’m running this through the motherboard’s onboard sound and not the HDMI cable, although the problem exists there too if I switch to that).

The GPU is 62 degrees at idle and the clocks are not dropping from 850/1200 at idle either. The card also appears to be continually under 25% load even when idle.

The Spec of the system is as follows:

Asus P6T7 WS Supercomputer
Intel i7 950 @ 3.07 ghz
6gb of RAM
350gb Raptor – boot drive
1.5tb Seagate- network drive
8 x Seagate 1.5tb drives in a RAID 5 array via a Highpoint RocketRAID 2320
Pioneer 5090 Plasma display @ 1920 x 1080
Corsair HX450W running RAID array and a 1000w supply feeding the rest

I’m running the Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit release candidate with all updates installed. I’ve tried each version of the 5870 drivers including those packaged with the card, ATI’s latest drivers and the beta RC7 driver. The problems persist with each. I’ve direct x 11 installed and I’ve tried running the signal through both DVI and HDMI. I’ve also tried the system on an old monitor instead of the Pioneer Plasma and the problems with display, though lesser due to the decreased resolution, persist. To my eye, there doesn’t appear to be any relevant settings in BIOS, with the vast majority of settings on auto. I've tried different PCI-E slots, powering the 5870 from the Corsair supply and a fresh Win 7 install.

If anyone could suggest where to begin trying to get the card working and eradicating the problems with video playback I’d be most grateful.

Last edited:

Ryx

Ryx

Associate
OP
I do but it's also my main media server, hence the huge storage, and I'm looking at a reinstall with Vista as a last resort - Vista doesn't like the RAID card and CPU usage sky rockets trying to manage it which was what made me switch to 7 in the first place.

Ryx

Ryx

Associate
OP
Both connectors are attached. I've a Corsair HX450W unit running the RAID array and a 1000w supply feeding everything else - I forget quite what it is and without removing the Corsair supply I can't see. I could try running the 5870 from the Corsair to see if the other one is overloaded?

Last edited:
Associate
Weird. I'm using Windows 7 RC and I'm getting a 7.1 on the Windows Experience thing. You sure you've plugged your monitor's cable into the 5870 and not your motherboard?

Ryx

Ryx

Associate
OP
Weird. I'm using Windows 7 RC and I'm getting a 7.1 on the Windows Experience thing. You sure you've plugged your monitor's cable into the 5870 and not your motherboard?

lol, quite sure but with the perfomance I'm getting you'd think I'd plugged it into a toaster.

Associate
I had the same problem with my 5870, moving it to another slot sorted the problem, although I was only getting a 1.0 ;)

Associate

That seems a little on the low side as well, my HD4890 scores 7.6 in Windows 7. Although that is on the RTM version and the 5870 drivers still have some way to go I imagine.

Ryx

Ryx

Associate
OP
Thanks for all the advice. GPU-Z results as follows:

drz.png

8dt.png

85.png

Will now try running it in a different PCI-E slot and using the other power supply.

Last edited:

Ryx

Ryx

Associate
OP
I have tried the following with no improvement:

Powering the 5870 from the Crosair secondary power supply - there is no way this can be overloaded.

Changed PCI-E slot, this has strangely fixed the sound problems but the display issues remain.

Completely removing the drivers with driver sweeper and reinstalling.

I ran 3dmark 2006 and got a score of 11000. The strange thing was during the graphics tests it would peak with very high FPS but suddenly dip to stuttering speeds, this wasn't when you'd expect (during the more intesive portions) but seemingly random. For example the Return to Proxycon test got as high as 118 FPS and as low as 2 FPS, Canyon Flight as high as 176 FPS and as low as 10 and Deep Freeze as high as 106 but as low as 20. These were all run at 3dmark's defaul resolutions (1280 x 720 I think).

Back
Top Bottom