Dodgy LGA 1156 connectors on some boards!

Soldato
already posted mate in another section

all the other mobos seems fine just foxconns

i think it affects more makers than foxconns, i think they supply the socket to the likes of msi, gigabyte, and the like,
foxconn are the makers of the socket, i thought id seen foxconn on my boards before.:eek:

Associate
OP
Ah right. The comments section of the article seems to indicate that Foxconn manufactures the socket even for other company's boards. In fact, the comments by the guy who wrote the article even confirms it!

That can't be right, right?

AMG

AMG

Soldato
yeah MSI and EVGA, but there is a 50/50 chance there..not sure about gigabyte, more like they haven't tried it yet...same goes for asus

has foxconn always had these issue or foxconn sockets i should add ?

Soldato
What they found was that the Foxconn couldn't take the current at over 5ghz while being cooled by a cascade.

They then carried on to mention it was ok when overclocked up to 4.3ghz

So if you're not voiding your warranties into the dark ages by benchmark chasing on nitrogen it shouldn't be a problem. It's just at excessive current loads it gets unhappy.

Soldato
limited contact would probly cause problems with slight overclock/normal running, maybe thats why there quite a few people struggling with memory configurations, who knows, but it can't be good either way , i for one will be checking my cpu to see if its getting good contact as i had afew hiccups with my memory

Soldato
From what I know, it's only a problem when you're pushing voltages and overclocking to the extreme.

Most people shouldn't be effected.

i know what your saying there but it carnt be good even at stock, it must cause some issues, wonder if it could be classed as faulty if your not getting good contact

Soldato
Define "pushing voltages" i would wager most have upped them, i know i have, to achieve a reasonable overclock.

also that could be a reason the i5 seem to need more voltage to remane stable, as i read it the i7's handle the voltage easier but i5's dont and require more:eek: is this part of it

Soldato
Because even with the best board in the world you will still need more volts through an 1156 to overclock than a 1366. It's the way they are.

Soldato
Because even with the best board in the world you will still need more volts through an 1156 to overclock than a 1366. It's the way they are.

yeah but is it that way because of the foxconn 1156 sockets? more research needed i think, tomorrow i will be taking out my i5 to see what impression the socket has made on the cpu

Soldato
yeah but is it that way because of the foxconn 1156 sockets? more research needed i think, tomorrow i will be taking out my i5 to see what impression the socket has made on the cpu

Foxconn doesn't make sockets for everyone.

Intel gives the manufacturers the details to make the sockets as they should be. Just looks like Foxconn seems to be less careful about their socket standards than others.

Just read through the article, especially the conclusions they come to.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom