• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Dieing GFX card

Associate
I'm pretty sure my graphics card (BFG 280GTX) is in it's death throes, but I thought I'd ask any way:

When the machine crashes it goes down hard. Screen is completely corrupt, and everything stops responding. Keyboard lights stay lit and needs a press of the reset button to recover from.

First time I switch my machine on and start a game: LOTRO or Fallout 3 so far, it'll crash within a couple of minutes.
Repeat this a few times, and eventually the machine will run for hours with no problems.

I've checked the temperatures, and they don't get above 75 degrees.

I've got an 8800GT in my other machine that I'm going to swap in tonight, and try and repeat the issue, if I can't then furmark is getting fired up.

My questions really are:

1) Reckon its dead then?
2) How is BFG's replacement of Hardware?

I'm really not expecting good news for Question 1, but hoping for great news on Question 2. I'm sure you won't disappoint.

cheers,

Little_Crow

Associate
OP
Some further info:
Just tried the 280GTX in my backup machine, and tried to make it crash, and it just won't die.

Kind of points to not graphics card, but I'm going to put the 8800GT in my main machine any way, and see what happens.

Soldato
What mobo / PSU? You could try sticking it in the other PCI-E slot, although it would be hard to verify if it works based on what you've said.

BFG have good support, they should send you a 285 if no more 280s are available. One of their reps posts here (or used to), I'm sure someone will point you in his direction.

Associate
wow i may be having the exact same issue as you - when i first start a game the gtx 280 will crash with a "pink screen of death" so i have to turn off the computer. however when i attempt the game again its fine, until you let the card cool down for several hours then it messes up again. seems a few people with gtx 280s have had the sme issue i just did a complete driver clean which didnt help, reset my overclock which didnt help, so looks like ill be trying a new pci-express slot then rmaing it.

Associate
OP
Tried the 8800GT in my main machine and that seems happy too, going to put everything back how it was and see how it goes.

I'm thinking PSU now. Maybe the 8800GT with just a single 6pin connector isn't stressing the PSU enough to make it fall over.

My machines Spec:

Main Machine
Q6600
Abit IP35Pro Mobo
Corsair 650W HX PSU
BFG 280GTX GFX

2nd Machine
E2180
Gigabyte EG45-DS2H
Corsair 550W HX PSU
8800GT

======

I think I love you jamie, I've just looked up pink screen of death and 280GTX and found others with the same issue.
Going to try my 2nd machine with the 280 in again and see what happens.

Last edited:
Associate
cool let me know what happens. we probably have both had our gtx 280s about the same time and now there going faulty. i did register the evga warrenty but cant remmber if i did it in time! might have to get a 5870 what a shame!

Associate
ive decided to go through the retailers rma process as i have had it lessthan a year, cant say who it is because of site rules but a s long as its confirmed faulty i get a full refund which is enough for a 5870! score!!!

Associate
Some further info:
Just tried the 280GTX in my backup machine, and tried to make it crash, and it just won't die.

Kind of points to not graphics card, but I'm going to put the 8800GT in my main machine any way, and see what happens.

out of interest did you ever get hte gtx 280 to die in your 2nd rig?

Associate
OP
Put it in, but it just wouldn't fail.
It was a hell of an operation as well, I don't recommend using a GTX280 in a SG01 if you want to use the HDD caddy.

I think the card may just have already warmed up enough not to crash, I'm intending to try it again over the weekend to be absolutely sure before I RMA it.
Can't do much until the PoP is accepted by BFG any way.

I found a few threads on the pink/purple screen of death, and it does seem to be a not unknown issue with the 280GTX from various vendors.

Am I right in thinking that nVidia manufacture their own cards and companies just stick on their own PWM and coolers etc? which would explain the same problem across manufacturers.
Do ATI work in the same way?

Last edited:
Associate
hi cool - yeah havent changed pci express slots yet because i need someone to help me put the screws in cos i cant use my left hand much and im afraid ill drop the screws on the mobo and break it! or worse into the psu! but yeah it does seem its pretty likely to be the gfx card and not the pci-expres slot. worst come to the worst ill get there no fault found postage charge and start again. ive got the old pc wih an nvidia 8400gs on it which runs age of conan on lowest settings barely in the mean time!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom