My Gaming PC Build !!! (Includes Pics)

Soldato
Hi all, (skip this paragraph if you want) first off let me say im no pro builder, i got into it just last year around summer time. I ordered a customised PC on a budget at the time, but found it was pants, and so i wanted to make it faster and better by buying the odd new part here and there and adding it in. This worked great until i got bored of the look of it :D, so i ordered a new tower and put the existing components i had into it, so you could call that a semi-build, even though i had to wire up the front panel connectors, apply thermal paste and seat the heatsink etc.

Anyway just recently i wanted to do a bigger upgrade, i wanted to upgrade from/to:

Q6600 > Q9550
Abit IP35 Pro XE > Gigabyte GA-EP45T Extreme
1000mhz DDR2 OCZ > 1600mhz DDR3 G.Skill
Raidmax Sagitta II case > NZXT Guardian
Galaxy GTX 260 > HD 5850
700w OCZ GamexStream

There was problems from the start, but not my fault, i orignally ordered a FoxConn Blackops board but this did not recognise anything, so RMA it was. Then there was waiting for replacements to come, finding time off to wait for the odd delivery and in the end its taking about a month after all this to get it up and running.

I didn't take pictures of everything i did, but here goes anyway!

1) Out with the old, this was the Sagitta II case after i removed practically everything:

dsc00002wx.jpg

dsc00003sx.jpg

2) In with the new, the shell of the NZXT Guardian:

dsc00004in.jpg

3) Some customising - I had 2 spare 5.25" bays so i cable tied 2 120mm fans in there for some extra cooling over the ram slots:

dsc00018sp.jpg

dsc00020yr.jpg

4) Installing the Heatsink/CPU:

dsc00001j.jpg

as you can see, the TRUE is carrying a fair bit of fluff from the old machine :D

dsc00023le.jpg

im applying arctic cooling mx-2 paste here, i dont know if its too much or not enough, but my temps are pretty good so im not too worried.

5) Give it a test run out the tower - this was on the blackops and wouldnt boot, so i thought i would try my cathodes out:

dsc00029a.jpg

6) This is the Gigabyte GA-EP45T Extreme motherboard, and what a board it is :) :

dsc00031hf.jpg

7) This was when it powered on for the first time, dont tell me about my cable management skills - its a mess i know, but least the space where i put the 2 fans in the bays is pretty empty, airflow at the bottom doesnt worry me too much. I also had the two purple cathodes here when testing (one is broke now though because i forced it too much)

dsc00035ux.jpg

dsc00036kd.jpg

8) The PC is finally built up, but i tell you what, that side panel is bulging i tell ya!

dsc00040zc.jpg

9) Here are some pics with the different neons turned on, there is a green sound sensitive set in there - unfortunately i didnt even think of the noise of the fans, because they are pretty loud the green is always lit - both purple and green cathodes though i can turn off from the back.

dsc00041c.jpg

dsc00037fs.jpg

10) And finally a little glimpse at the front of the case, focusing on the led gauges:

dsc00039ly.jpg

The Whole Spec of the PC:

NZXT GUARDIAN 921
700W OCZ GAMEXSTREAM PSU
GIGABYTE GA-EP45T EXTREME
Q9550 E0 stepping
4GB G.SKILL RIPJAW DDR3 1600MHZ 8-8-8-24
1GB SAPPHIRE HD ATI 5850
1 SAMSUNG LIGHTSCRIBE DVD
1 SAMSUNG 500GB HDD
1 SAMSUNG 250GB HDD
22" Yuraku Widescreen Monitor
32" JVC HD LCD TV
Windows 7 Ultimate RC (getting Home soon)

This is my windows experience index (nothing overclocked - yet)

capture2l.png

Here is my new index scores after my overclocks:

windex.png

I think that covers it all, thanks for looking and feel free to add your comments on my build - remember im no pro, learnt myself with reading a few things on the way.

Last edited:
Associate
first post someone comments about the cables! lol..
mine are just shoved at the bottom to i couldnt give a crap :D

as for the build looks sweet!

one question did you spread the compound after you applied it or did you just sit the cooler on after you took the pic??

Caporegime
Some nice gear in that, good tip for cleaning the TRUE, use a power shower. My TRUE black was a bit dusty and a brush wasnt working to well to clean it, i gave it a rinse under the shower and dried it with a hair dryer, looked like new.

Associate
Oh, I forgot to mention the thermal paste. It looks a bit too much, but as you say- Good temps = No problem. It's only to fill the microscopic holes on the surface of the heatsink and the top of the processor, so you need a very little amount :)

Soldato
OP
Some nice gear in that, good tip for cleaning the TRUE, use a power shower. My TRUE black was a bit dusty and a brush wasnt working to well to clean it, i gave it a rinse under the shower and dried it with a hair dryer, looked like new.

I soaked it in some water and ended up using cotton buds, i was shocked how filthy they get, powershower if theres ever another opportunity ;)

Oh, I forgot to mention the thermal paste. It looks a bit too much, but as you say- Good temps = No problem. It's only to fill the microscopic holes on the surface of the heatsink and the top of the processor, so you need a very little amount :)

ah i see, i read a pea size is enough but i was too scared to put that little on :)

at the same time, you dont want to insulate the thing :D

Associate
ah i see, i read a pea size is enough but i was too scared to put that little on :)

at the same time, you dont want to insulate the thing :D

Exactly :D ... If you've ever seen the size of a piece of hamster poo, that should be about right :D

what kinda of stupid example was that... :(

Associate
nice pics and good build, i hate tidying cables as well but learning!
Planning an i5 build for next year and will gets some in progress pics up as well cos we all enjoy em!
Nice work.

Soldato
OP
thanks, i was going to do a i5 build but a few things stoppped me:

-> couldnt find any good heatsinks for it
-> theres been a recent thread about some sockets on the i5 board burning out when overclocked
-> i already had a good heatsink+fans, socket 775 is not dead yet in my opinion

Back
Top Bottom