Got myself a 'powerbar' chin up / pull up bar - mini review + pics

Caporegime
Hi all

My 'Powerbar' arrived today from Gizoo today. It cost me £30 with next day delivery (selected due to erratic Royal Mail deliveries). It's also available from such places as Boys' Stuff, Amazon, and UK Fitness Supplies.

It arrives fully constructed in a long thin cardboard box. You unfold the collapsable arms so that they lock into the latch / spring mechanism and that's it, constructed. No allen keys or bolts required.

img5981.jpg

img5982.jpg

img5986.jpg

Now mount it on your door frame:

img5987o.jpg

Close up of how it hooks onto the door side:

img5993t.jpg

Full shot from the door side:

img5990.jpg

Training myself just to hang for the moment!

img5995u.jpg

First impressions are - it's addictive! I keep wanting to go and do another chinup or attempt another pullup (I can't do even one strict pullup yet, hence this purchase really). It also seems fairly well built, though so far one of the rubber protectors keeps falling off whenever I remove it from the door frame, but really all that matters is that it's robust and won't collapse under your weight. It feels very safe and secure and can be put up and taken down in five seconds.

The bar quotes a maximum weight limit of 20 stone.

It has no grip on the bar; the gripping part of the bar is literally a bar, full stop. Fair enough as this is normally all you'd expect on a pull up bar.

You can only use the upper bar for exercises when it's on the wall, due to the fact that the bar relies on leverage from the lower bar against the side of the door frame for stability.

The only thing the bar comes with is an instruction leaflet telling you how to unfold and mount it, as well as giving some handy pointers on the exercises, such as, 'Pull ups and chin ups are not easy, so do not be surprised if you can only one or two. Practice them little and often and if you stick with it, you will soon notice an improvement in your strength and physique.' :p.

You can also do wide / narrow grip press ups at a slight incline if that suits you, as well of course as hanging leg raises, if you can do them properly, unlike myself.

img5996hb.jpg

Further to Benny's question: the width of the bar is 900mm / 3 ft. The instructions recommend a doorway between 685mm and 785mm. It's probably worth testing it on your door frame carefully before going for it.

So there you have it, a decent pull up bar that requires zero drilling, is easily collapsable and storable, and allows you to exercise from a nice and high position!

Last edited:
Soldato
Whilst it is robust it is only as strong as your door frame!

How wide is it in total? I have a york chinup bar in my doorway at home but it's not wide enough to do WG Pullups on due to the fact it actually fixes inside the frame!

Soldato
Tbh I think I'd tear my shoulders out getting into that position. That's if I hadn't already fallen on my face and broken my neck trying!

Soldato
That actually doesn't look half bad actually Robbie G, I got this bad boy by Bodypower a while ago, nice to use though.

3015u044.jpg

Associate
Tbh I think I'd tear my shoulders out getting into that position. That's if I hadn't already fallen on my face and broken my neck trying!

I love the quote from the Beastskills site tutorial for it:

"The back lever really isn't that hard to get down. If you already have a bit of pull up and dip strength, you might even be able to pull off this skill at first go."

Now I'm sure quite a few of us would consider ourselves to have a bit of pull up and dip strength - but utilising it like this is completely different (and very tricky). Really makes you appreciate how strong gymnasts must be.

Caporegime
OP
I have the powerbar myself and really like it. It's worth mentioning the iron gym as well though if your thinking of buying one.

I looked at that but your hands have to be inside the door frame. A lot of the comments were that this was not wide enough for acceptable w/g pull ups, so I went for this instead.

Once I master pull ups at this width I can test myself on the rack at the bar at the gym with a wider grip, if I feel the need.

This morning I managed 5 chin ups before failure. Pitiful!

Permabanned
I have one of these, pretty good.

Only thing I would do to change it, is to have the ends of the bar angled down slightly, I feel that grip is more comfortable than just a straight bar grip.

Man of Honour
I think if you're able to do 12 BW chins you're getting to a good level, and doing 3 sets per day are such a good round all exercise - I really need to get mine out and onto the door! In fact I may do it tonight! :D

Doing weighted chins is best done in the gym though.

My aim is to do a couple of reps with 40kg around me... that would be a 140kg chin up! :eek:

Associate
I am going to attempt this back lever tonight, I'll post back my results, or a photo of my messed up face from the face plant I achieve.

I've had a go in the past - I'd recommend video'ing your self as there's a point where you think you're doing it, but you're just pretty much pointing straight up.

dun

dun

Soldato
Oh dear, I just looked at back lever and my shoulder nearly ripped out just looking at it, sack that clean off.

5 chin ups is far from pitiful if you aren't used to them. I was repping 5 bodyweight +20kg WG pullups, and now I struggle for 8 bodyweight and narrower grip :p

Back
Top Bottom