• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5870 Vertical lines Crash

Associate
Just wondered if any other owners of said card have experienced this...

Can be doing anything on the system and suddenly you get grey, brown or blue vertical lines going across the screen

looks like this

http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/8999/ati5870chrash.jpg

so far

latest drivers
temps ok
not OC the card
system is though i7 4.2

Starting to wonder if I need some extra juice to the card as I have only experienced this since going from 4ghz to 4.2ghz

any ideas

Associate
OP
well I done 18 hours prime + both on small TFT and also and blast of blend
passed OCCT and also lin-x 20 runs with full memory

I am quite sure the OC is stable but then I am wondering if the grpahics needs some tweaking with PCI or something

I guess I could drop back to 4ghz - seems a shame though

Associate
OP
done some testing - with the system overclocked running furmark recreates the problem!!!

I have ditched the OC and loaded optimized def for UD5 and then run the furmark test and it passed that time.

At least that proved it - here goes on 4 ghz will post back!!

Soldato
I got that with my 5770!?!?

There's a powerplay memory timing issue with the current drivers apparantly. 9.12's are supposed to fix it.

Associate
Why'd ya need to overclock so roughly :p. Hardly anything out there that I7 can't run smoothly lol. i can understand for the odd benchmark but i have a Q6700 at default, works wonders!!

Associate
OP
Well guess what dude after a week of looking like things were sorted - yesterday was on cilin mcrae dirt 2 for hours with no glitch - stopped playing left something downloading and came to back to the "lines" - aaaaarrrghghghg. Im not entirely convinced its system related and maybe more driver. I get this without an over clock (recently), with an overlcock etc. If you google about you'll see a lot of people barking about this with 5870's. Some people are fine some arnt - It's so random I dont get it. There are new drivers out on wednesday this week which if you read some of the threads is supposed to cure some memory timing problem. Gonna try them and also a memtest+ as I havent done one but feel like it's ok. What news from your end?

Permabanned
Well I have had exactly EXACTLY the same problem with my 5970. The screen looks identical. My cards are reasonably clocked for a WC system (about 950mhtz main clock - bit of extra voltage) -- but the problem has happened many times when the graphics card is hardly working at all (showing youtube clips etc -- real time temperature display saying '36 degrees'!!).

You are not alone. If you find a solution please post it here. I don't think it's overheating ..

Soldato
I had the vertical line crash with my 5770 CF a few mins ago in Dirt2

I had to close it will Cntr+Alt+Del then windows said the driver had recovered from an error!! First time its done that.

Back
Top Bottom