4pin 12v atx to a 8pin 12v atx?

Soldato
Ok my current PSU only has a 4pin 12v atx connector for the mobo yet my new P6T Deluxe has a 8 pin 12v ATX connector.

I came accross this
http://www.startech.com/item/EPS48ADAP-6in-ATX-P4-and-LP4-to-8-Pin-EPS-Power-Adapter-Cable.aspx

Which uses a 4pin molex and the 4pin 12v atx plug to convert the line into an 8pin 12v atx plug.

Would this be a viable option for the time being eg to get the system running and test the overclock of my 920DO or am i at risk fo killing my mobo and PSU?

Permabanned
to get it up and running yeah, for testing an OC not sure, thats what the 8 pin is for, providing more juice direct to CPU to allow OCing, not sure though

Soldato
Just plug the 4 pin into the 8 pin socket on the mainboard, it'll only fit in one of the halves.

It should boot up fine without the extra 4 pin juice. So far I haven't come across a mainboard which truly required an 8 pin connector, they all booted with just 4 pins plugged in.

Soldato
OP
hmm, the point of the adapater i postedis that it draws power off the 4pin 12v atx and off a 4pin molex to give sufficent power. I only want to get it running, setup a oc profile once i know how far itll go then drop it stock until i get a new psu ni a few weeks.

Associate
i think its more the question of how big your current PSU is and weather you have split 12v lines, there wont be a problem with using a 4 pin in an 8pin socket, but if you have split lines and the 12v feed from the molex is different from the 12v on the p4 connector then you might have issues, but its still not much.

Sam

Soldato
OP
750w powercool
14b6vib.jpg

the adapter i listed abopve would draw off one of the molex lines and off the 4pin p4 line

Soldato
The most load the V1 line is rated for is 16A, i.e. 192W. For the V2 line, 216W. Even adding on 130W for the almost irrelevant 3.3 and 5V lines this is far short of the stated 750W. An excellent example of purely imaginary power ratings.

As I said in your previous thread asking if a 4 pin cable works with an 8 pin board, you don't want to try overclocking with this. Whether trying to draw more current from a molex or not. It's not blown up and killed anything yet, but it's a crap psu nonetheless. I know you told me it was a good one in the last thread, but I just don't agree.

Back
Top Bottom