New 27-inch UltraSharp U2711 WQHD announced.

Soldato
Could be just the ticket!! :)

From Engadget: http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/07/dell-goes-pro-with-27-inch-ultrasharp-u2711-wqhd-lcd-monitor-ha/

Dell's laptop and desktop lineups may hog all of the attention, but the company's range of LCDs have proven to be contenders over the years. Not one to shy away from the professionals in attendance, the company has today released its first-ever WQHD monitor: the 27-inch UltraSharp U2711. Boasting a native 2,560 x 1,440 resolution, this beast just may pack enough pixels to sway you back into the single-monitor camp. Dell's also trumpeting the unit's "billion-color depth and IPS technology," and the 6-millisecond response time, 1,000:1 contrast ratio, 350 nits of brightness and a 12-bit internal processing help to round things out. For the pros who make ends meet by editing photos or video, you'll probably enjoy knowing that this one boasts a 110 percent color gamut, factory-tuned Adobe RGB and sRGB modes (alongside a color calibration report), custom color adjustments and a smattering of mounting options.

You'll also find just about every port known to man: HDMI 1.3, DisplayPort, DVI-D (x2), VGA, composite, component, USB (x4) and an 8-in-1 multicard reader. 'Course, the actual aesthetics are nothing to write home about, but again, this one's being targeted at end users who care less about the bezel and more about true-to-life pixel performance. We had a chance to toy around with the new beast, and frankly, we were mesmerized. Without an in-house color calibrator, we can't speak for those who need oodles of numbers and bar charts to tell if a monitor is performing correctly, but we can say that the panel was remarkably sharp, crisp and accurate -- more so than our (much adored) 24-inch 2408WFP, that's for sure. Be prepared to catch this one next month with an MSRP of $1,049.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
changed the title for you as you had it as a "7" screen ;) should be an interesting screen, i'm hoping to have a sample for review soon too!

Associate
I've seen this panel in the 27" iMac, and it's absolutely gorgeous (almost enough to tempt me to buy one for the screen alone). The only thing is, the Dell will apparently be using a standard CCFL backlight and not LED as in the Mac.

Hopefully there won't be the same kind of QC and panel uniformity issues that we've seen in the U2410 (and the HP2475W), but I've rather lost faith in Dell as a company lately, particularly given their "so what, deal with it" attitude to customers who complained about the notorious left/right green/pink tint in the U2410.

Also, I wonder if it will follow the well-established Dell tradition of needing three or four firmware revisions before it's acceptable...

Soldato
OP
Given the quantity of "HD" content being consumed in 1920 x 1080 it'll be interesting to see how well it scales for XBox/PS3/1080 media etc...

Soldato
Dam. Shame about the lack of LED...

Really isn't an issue unless you like to run your displays at 400cd/m2 or keep it for over half a decade. They have a much bigger problem of panel uniformity. If they can't keep it under wraps on a 24" model it won't get easier with a 27" or 30".

Associate
Really isn't an issue unless you like to run your displays at 400cd/m2 or keep it for over half a decade. They have a much bigger problem of panel uniformity. If they can't keep it under wraps on a 24" model it won't get easier with a 27" or 30".

thoguh the LED imprved black levels though ? and LED TV`s seems to have really vibrant colours (not than LCD`s dont in general of course)

Soldato
thoguh the LED imprved black levels though ? and LED TV`s seems to have really vibrant colours (not than LCD`s dont in general of course)

It's not really a property of the backlight. More a combination of nuclear brightness and processing. They don't improve black levels either, not in the true sense anyway, there is a lot of dynamic contrast rubbish with TV's (And some PC monitors).

Half a decade is only 5 years, i'd expect a quality IPS screen to still be in use in 5 years.

So would I, but after 5 years your CCFL IPS display won't be able to output the same max brightness it did when it was new, whereas if your LED backlight is still functioning it will do (Until it just gives up and dies). However, this isn't a problem if you don't run your backlight at full for the lifespan of the display.

Just depends on your standards really. But going by the u2410 Dell have much bigger problems to sort than the backlight (Which isn't even a problem)

Associate
16x9...

Really not liking the fact that the larger models are now losing the 16x10 aspect ratio as well now. Think I'll be sticking to my 1920x1200 screen for now.

Associate
I wasn't chatting about losing working space. More that they are all getting squashed. I use a 16:9 monitor at work and I really don't like how wide compared to how tall it is.

I have a 16:10 at home to compare it to.

Back
Top Bottom