How to become a car salesman

Associate
I am now back in the UK and looking for jobs... Car dealerships don't seem to want to know without 'experience'. Well how does one aquire experience in the field if they will only hire experienced salespeople? I have a degree in Economics from a good university so not too sure how hard it can be to sell cars!

Soldato
Being a car salesperson is a difficult job, especially if you are very honest. You will be effectively working in your and the dealership's interests, and almost certainly not the customer's interest.

Permabanned
a working knowledge of cars would be an advantage

Arnold clark always seem to be recruiting new sales staff round these parts too. worth giving uncle arnold a call perhaps?

Soldato
Are you a slimy, cheating no good double crossing toad who would sell his own mother for a quick buck?

If the answer is yes then have a good career selling cars! if not then dont even bother, you wont last 5 minutes :D

( i base this on my own personal experiance of car salesmen. To be quite honest now, i wouldnt even believe them when they tell me the time anymore. I cannot honestly say i have EVER had a dealing with a car salesman, wether it be buying my own car or going with others, who has not lied about something to my face.

"one lady owner" actually means 4 owners none of them female...

"fully serviced by us" actually means, we havnt even bothered to look at it just scraped it though an MOT and bunged it out...

"4 new tyres and all new brakes and discs!" means, used some black stuff on the tyre walls to make them look new and the discs and pads looks new enough to pass of as new.. ( independant garage said the wheels had never been off considering the rust on the hub, and certainly not been recently taken off to change the disc ).

The list goes on and on........

Edit: My new technique will involve a new friend who happens to be a very very good mechanic. Any car i buy from now on will have been seen and pondered over by him in return for beer tokens. Likewise ill sort his pc needs out :p

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Are you a slimy, cheating no good double crossing toad who would sell his own mother for a quick buck?

If the answer is yes then have a good career selling cars! if not then dont even bother, you wont last 5 minutes :D

Well no I'm not - but I was hoping to sell new cars, so don't think being honest will be an issue?

Man of Honour
You need to be able to sell yourself first and if you can't sell around the "no experience mate, sorry" objection, then you really aren't made out to be a sales person. The truth of the matter is that the public has a perception of what a sales person is when in reality most 'sales people' are little more than shop assistants with very little in terms of sales skills, even those who think they're good. I suggest you start by understanding how you can sell your value, your ability (even if that is little more than the ability to learn quickly and work harder than the next man) to be of value and I urge you NOT to start with look how clever this qualification makes me. The fact that most people seem to think that being a good sales person means you lie well shows how ill informed people are. Sure, many sales people are utter slime and some take advantage of the idiots that litter our streets but the fact is the best don't.

Man of Honour
It takes a special kind of person to be a car salesmen. It's a high pressure backstabbing world of fail unless you are top dog.

Back
Top Bottom