3D Sketchbook thread?

Soldato
I seem to remember a thread with everyone posting their 3D models of cars, architecture etc..? I hope there's some modellers still amongst you...

I've been wanting to learn 3D in my spare time for years but never quite had the motivation to do it. I was part of the whole 3D abstract craze pre 2006 but other than that, I've never given 'proper' modelling a go.

Anyway, I thought it would be good to perhaps share our models, works in progress, advice and tips? I find it pretty hard getting answers and advice from some of the bigger, more experienced CG forums tbh :\

Over the last couple of days I've been scouring the internet for resources, trying to get my head around Cinema 4D, mapping, UVs, unwrapping, it's a nightmare :\

Anyway, first addition to the sketchbook and my first ever model:

torso1.jpg

Started off with a head but because of inexperience, it was a disaster! Took me almost the entire afternoon/night yesterday to get the torso working and UVs unwrapped - which still don't work.

Second was done tonight in under an hour. :eek: :D Used a random picture of Ronnie Coleman for muscle reference. Still can't get it unwrapped for texturing though! Normal Cinema 4D materials were used instead.
coleman_base.jpg

Anyone got stuff to share? :)

Edit: Oops, wasn't sure which section to stick this in?

Soldato
Nice idea for a thread, those look cool. I like the lighting on the second.

sheet2.jpg

sheet3.jpg

I'm getting my head round C4D too... Think I used it for the second image, first was kerkythea, water went a bit wrong in that! Built in sketchup.

Have a habit of not texturing stuff too, normally looks a bit rubbish so I photoshop it in...

Soldato
OP
I had no idea sketchup could produce such models? The Google app?

Lighting is very basic, two lights - One behind and to the right with 50% opacity, the other infront and to the left with 100% and soft shadows applied. :)

Soldato
I had no idea sketchup could produce such models? The Google app?

Yup:p

Sketchup is awesome, just appears very basic at first. Its awesomeness breaks down as soon as you start doing curves though...! It can't do it so just facets everything to a number of straight lines that you can specify.

Soldato
This is my first ever set of models made in max. was meaning to go back to them and do some more realistic renders now that I know more, but not really bothered. I'll be doing a lot more than this in weeks to come.

started learning Maya now so that is taking a lot of my time:

case2500jpg.jpg

abside1.jpg

abdetailclay.jpg

4zicaabclay.jpg

made the lighter first, then the airbrush, then the case. The airbrus is very accurate, everything was measured out with digital vernier. it got me an A :)

Soldato
OP
Impressive! Some texturing would look fantastic. Hard surface modelling; I've yet to try it but it makes my head bleed just thinking about it :p

Btw Stupot, just noticed the lighting in your second pic, nicely done! Just some area lighting inside the building?

Soldato
stills from a short animation I had to do. had to rush this one and it shows :( still got me a decent mark, just wish I had spent more time on the model. I did build a table and stand for it to go on so that it was not just hovering in air, but I dont have stills of that at the moment.

still14.jpg

still12.jpg

Soldato
Btw Stupot, just noticed the lighting in your second pic, nicely done! Just some area lighting inside the building?

Cheers, lights were actually modelled in sketchup as flat planes. Didn't want to make them too complex (i.e. spheres) or I believe render times would have shot up with all the polygons as an emitter. Then a texture was applied that emitted light. I think..!

Associate
I need my house plans modelling in 3d, existing and proposed for a planning application if anyone is interested in earning some monies. All plans are 1:50 and drawn by a architect.

Borich

Soldato
OP
ut_char.jpg

Some reference concepts for the characters I was referring to. Incredibly complex builds I would imagine. Though, something I'd like to get stuck into replicating.

Anyone know of any general hard surface guides/reading?

There seems to be an abundance of organic techniques.

Last edited:
Permabanned
I need my house plans modelling in 3d, existing and proposed for a planning application if anyone is interested in earning some monies. All plans are 1:50 and drawn by a architect.

Borich

I'd love to do it, this is the type of thing I've been doing for the past 3 years~.

Here's a few things I've got uploaded to my photobucket:

A garden I designed for the landscape architect at the place I used to work, I haven't gotten around to rendering it yet so this is just how it looks in sketchup.

9.jpg

An image I made for a friend recently, they wanted some 3D backdrops and these letter blocks are one of them.

TestBlocks.jpg

This was a WIP for the place I worked at, they didn't end up completing the project though, it was their office building.

60DukeStreet.jpg

Some Mordaunt Short Speakers I've been eyeing up, made a models of them to see how they'd look in my room (modelled my house).

These particular ones aren't from my room model though. :p

Test3.jpg

Test4-2.jpg

Some random image I made out of boredom.

AutoSave_TestStatue-Copy2.jpg

This last one was done to test some new software at various stages through the render.

Render2.png

Various renders of the same section of my room "as proposed" (it's pretty much done now).

Test2-1.jpg

19WA2.jpg

One more misc render:

ChessSet2.png

its original size is 6000x3375. :D

I've got a load more work, I just haven't uploaded much.

Last edited:
Associate

Borich

If I wasn't so swamped with work at the moment I would take you up on that :)

Here is a kitchen interior:

KITSRStill.jpg

Back
Top Bottom