• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Cooked my card

Associate
Literally, in the process of my new build i dug the box out for my GTX260, inside was my old 8800Ultra that packed up a few months ago, stripped it down and 10 mins at 200c seems to have fixed it!

Its the first time ive done this to a card and i think it was the most nervous 10 mins of my life, just played Crysis with everything on high and x2AA for 15 mins with no trouble at all, im inpressed!

:D

Soldato
If you put it in for an hour at 200C it'll unlock 9000 extra shader cores :p

Always nice to see people restoring busted hardware in the kitchen :D

Soldato
Did the same with my 8800GTX, the card was artifacting constantly, even in 2D mode, the BIOS splash screen would have multi coloured dots all over as soon as I powered up the machine.

The card was out of warranty so I decided to try the baking method as I had absolutely nothing to lose by doing so, and sure enough it worked perfectly!

Still running perfectly today as well!

I think it's a bit of a hit or miss as to whether this trick works tbh, as I had a 9800GT do the exact same thing as the 8800, but when I tried baking it, it didn't work for that card.

@freezin, the reason cards start having problems like I described above is usually to do with fractures in the BGA solder balls on the GPU itself, so by baking the card at 200c it causes the solder to heat up and then the fracturers get repaired, or something along those lines anyway!

I personally didn't think that it was going to work when I tried it, but when I hooked it up after letting it cool down I was amazed to see it was no longer artifacting!!!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
@ DavyBoy, thats exactly what mine done, at the time a just bought a new card, heard about the oven method and thought ive got nothing to lose.

Could easily put a pasta bake in with it too i suppose!

Few pics

Stripped down and cleaned up
100_0247.jpg

Ready for the oven, preheat to 200c and cook for 10 mins, i placed it on 3 balls of rolled up tin foil
100_0248.jpg

Looking no different but its hot
100_0250.jpg

Not got one when its back together, was too eager to see if it worked

:D

Associate
Oh god, what have you people started! Everyone is going to be cooking their cards now, although i hear adding salt and pepper increases the chances of success, and also pouring oil on the foil before hand.

Associate
I have read plenty of "cooking" a card threads and some people do seem to have got a working card from it.

If its bin it or try then why not give it a go!

Back
Top Bottom