Claiming The Dole After Being Sacked ?

Soldato
Hey,

My brother in law is being sacked on monday for his on his 3rd disciplinary at work :)

and his mother swears blind that he can claim Job Seekers Allowance (JSA) straight away and he will get it ?

Just wondered if anybody knew anything more about this ? i thought if you got sacked you can't claim for a period of time.

Has anybody been in that situation ?

Just wanna know so he's got an idea and so i rub it in the mother in laws face if he can't cos theres no telling this woman :mad:

James

Soldato
Think if you get the sack or leave a job of your own choice (other than redundancy etc) then you have to wait 6 months before you can sign on now. Or rather you can sign on, they just won't pay you anything (EDIT: and you still have to jump through their BS hoops). Fairly sure it's something like that.

Last edited:
Soldato
A bit iffy but the same kind of thing happened to my bro, he was sacked after being signed off for being ill and the company went bankrupt 2 weeks later, but the dole suspened him for a couple of months, so hes had to claim hardship allowance which is half of what someone on the dole gets.

Soldato
I thought if you were sacked you could claim straight away, the only time you had to wait for a set period of time was if you walked away from a perfectly good job?

Soldato
You can claim straight away and they will pay it. They will ask for your employers side of the story. This can drag on for weeks sometimes months. This goes to someone who decides if any penalties should be on and they can suspend it for upto 6 months if they feel harsh.

Soldato
I was told that you couldn't claim after being sacked when I had to sign on a few years back after being made redundant.

Man of Honour
hopefully they suspend him from claiming for a nice bit of time lol
I think it stupid that if you get sacked u can claim, you put yourself in that position.

I'd imagine it is to protect those who may have been unjustly sacked, while there may be many whose sacking is entirely their own fault there will doubtless be some who through no real fault of their own are sacked and to deny them help would be unjust. I'd guess an investigation can then be carried out and if it is found that they shouldn't be entitled to the money it can be ordered that they pay it back or it will be deducted from their future claims.

However if you want to check then find the number for your/his local jobcentre and give them a call.

Man of Honour
It depends under what circumstances he is sacked, and what specific benefits he wants to claim.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/your_money/employment/dismissal_and_benefits.htm

If he's looking at being sacked for misconduct or gross misconduct, then you can be ineligible for job seekers allowance (contribution or income based) for up to 26 weeks, depending on circumstances.

The only way to know for sure is to get down and speak to someone fully trained in the benefits system as there are so many rules, criteria and stipulations that it really does need someone who knows exactly what they are talking about, in full posession of the facts, to be able to give you full and reliable advice.

If you've been sacked for capability, rather than misconduct, the rules change again...

Man of Honour
Should be longer than that to be honest.

I'm not that bothered about the length of time, it's the idea that we should treat people differently that bothers me. If there is a requirement for the government to provide a basic level of support (and I can see that argument), then it should be provided to everyone, not just those who aren't making the effort to support themselves.

A negative income tax would be much fairer on everyone, and eliminate the unfairness the benefit system employs which in turn creates rewards and traps for certain behaviour.

Soldato
I had to do this myself, many moons ago. It is a case of being able to sign on right away but they will ask questions, I wasnt sacked on harsh grounds, my sacking was out of my hands. So it may be different if being sacked for more serious reasons

Soldato
I thought it was a 6 week wait if you left or got sacked. :confused:

Wrong. I left my job, and after some interrogation from DWP I was granted JSA. Had to fill in masses of paperwork stating why I'd left my job, followed by more once the first lot had been sent as they wanted further detail on the information I'd given. So you can sign on straight away if you leave a job, you just need a damn good reason. Thankfully, I did :)

Soldato
Wrong. I left my job, and after some interrogation from DWP I was granted JSA. Had to fill in masses of paperwork stating why I'd left my job, followed by more once the first lot had been sent as they wanted further detail on the information I'd given. So you can sign on straight away if you leave a job, you just need a damn good reason. Thankfully, I did :)

This, though I didn't have a good reason but surprised I got it.

Back
Top Bottom