Essential Android Apps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
  • Wapedia - Wikipedia app
  • AppMonster - Proper app manager. Allows backup to SD card.
  • Astro - file manager.
  • Spotify - Mobile version of desktop app. Allows music download/sync over wi-fi.
  • SMS Popup - Gives you an iPhone-style popup when you receive an sms.
  • K9 Mail - Better email app than the default one with more features

Last edited:

Izi

Izi

Soldato
SportPal - Tracks your runs/cycling etc using GPS. uploads to their website. tracks progress etc - brill app.
MyBackupPro - backs up phone to SD card and their servers
Robo defence - great addictive game
Shazam - tags music
Remote desktop by xtralogic - allows RDC connection to windows servers/computers

Associate
I like Handcent for SMS.
Copilot for satnav
Google Maps/Navigation.
I like Opera because its fast.
Layar & Wikitude have to be tested for augmented reality.
Look into taskiller. I have now tried Advanced Task Killer and prefer Taskiller for one feature. In Taskiller you can choose whether you want to see ignored apps. This lets you kill ignored apps (ie apps that aren't killed automatically) as a one time choice without having to first remove it from the ignore list.

Last edited:

Izi

Izi

Soldato
CoPilot navigation - i paid £30 for that and their customer service is the worst i have ever encountered.

Just use Google Navigation for navigation...

Associate
Astro File Manager - essential for organising your sd card without plugging into a pc.

Advanced Task Killer - I don't notice much difference in speed closing everything but I have it just in case an app has issues.

Twidroid - free app for twitter. The best of the free twitter apps imho.

NetCounter - Along with Astro File Manager I'd say this is one of the 'essential' apps. Keeps track of data usage for both wi-fi and 3g. If you have twitter/news/rss feeds updating stuff from the net all the time then you need this!

ColorNote - Just for making notes. There are many apps for this and just posting the one I use.

Ultimate Stopwatch - Use it for running/boiling an egg :D

Voice Recorder - If you want a voice memo handy then get this.

GoogleSky - Not 'essential' but pretty cool. Mars was 90 degrees to the right of the moon 2 nights ago and it was a clear night so could pick out which star was actually the red planet :cool:

Not tried that many apps to be honest so just picked out some I found either interesting or essential. Looking forward to some more tips off others.

Associate
Handcent: Easily the best SMS app, bar none
eBuddy: If your into the whole 'chat' stuff
Opera: Best browser for features + speed
Shazam: Cool to 'know that tune'
Netcounter: Essential to ensure you dont go over the 'fair usage policy'
Taskiller: Really handy to keep the phone running nicely

Soldato
Twidroid - free app for twitter. The best of the free twitter apps imho.
Have to disagree here, For a full client Seesmic or twicca are much better, and Twidget Lite is the best twitter widget.

Wixel is a fun mobile version of Boggle

Google Scoreboard is great for tracking sports, it will notify you about games starting, goals etc.

ScummVM obviously for playing those old games.

Movies for cinema times.

FeedR is currently my favourite RSS reader.

Soldato
WaveSecure - the best Android security app at the moment in my eyes. It's a must have and if registered before the end of March, you get a free lifetime subscription.

CoPilot - Great bit of navigation kit, got me out of a few lost in a random city situations so certainly worth it.

Netcounter - As mentioned before, keeps records of how much internet usage you've used.

SMS Popup - Similar to the iPhone way of alerting you to a new text. Brings a little popup on the screen when you've got a message.

Soldato
Aura - EVE Online character app (see skills training and how long they have left etc)
cab4me - um guess
Currency Converter - Do I need to explain :p
eBuddy - Good IM client
Facebook - Not as good as the Apple version ffs
Google Sky Map - Saves you looking up at the night sky
Linda File Manager - File manager by some Linda or other
Metal Detector - Fun. For 5 mins
My Tracks - Great app that lets you track your sporting type journeys, be it running, cycling or walking (or whatever) and then you can upload them to Google Maps and share them.
My Backup Pro - One of the few apps I've bought.
Places Directory - Tells you various types of things that are local to you. pubs, restaurants etc
RAC Traffic - Keeps you informed of where the RAC are moving their drugs to. Or maybe not.
Sexy Viewer - Um, how did that get there :o

That'll do.

Soldato
Engadget.
mobile buzz. mobile news widget
game buzz. gaming news widget
tech buzz. general tech news
twidroid.
zedge. free wallpapers
taskiller. kills tasks
toss it preview, like paper toss on the iphone.
bebbled. free game
linda file manager.
sweet dreams. can preset to turn off all your connections at night and on again in the morning.

Soldato
I don't really get the point of the engadget app, RSS feeds have the same info in and are faster.

Swings and roundabouts really, I use Google Reader for RSS but I still prefer to read an actual web page and the Engadget app is more similar to this.

The issue is IMO, why more websites aren't producing feature rich mobile versions and instead developing device specific apps that basically render webpage like content.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom