Xbox live woes

Soldato
Hey guys, im in the navy, and in our rooms on base, we have an ethernet port for the internet if we choose to pay for it.

Now if you pay the money to use it - you have a login and password to sign on.

Now xbox live wont work with this because you cannot log on to the internet using the login and password. The ps3 does work though - because of the inbuilt browser that allows you to sign on.

So obviously being a bit gutted that I cant play with my mates for a game of COD or FIFA, I really want to get it working.

So I came up with this idea - dont know if you think it sounds doable. Connect the xbox up to my laptop (using a macbook, this still ok? Got windows 7 boot camped if not) via wireless using the wireless dongle and the laptop connected to the port by ethernet.

So obviously being logged on to the internet with the laptop - this should be what the ps3 would be doing in affect?

Or is that a load of ********? :D

Soldato
OP
I'm no expert but surely a Cable Router (not an ADSL one) would do the trick?
As AFAIK you can't connect the xbox via Internet Connection Sharing

Crazy, but it might just work...I havnt got a cable router, but would I be able to use an ADSL one?

And I thought you could link the two together and play online using the method in my post? Obviously not :(

Associate
Crazy, but it might just work...I havnt got a cable router, but would I be able to use an ADSL one?

Afraid not, the reason I said Cable Router is because they have a RJ45 input port instead of the Phone (forgotten what its called) Plug input of an ADSL.

Unless your router is capable of acting as a bridge :confused: but thats beyond my capabilities

Soldato
What does that mean mate? :)

I'm not really familiar with the MAC OS network settings but in Windows if you right click on your ethernet adapter and go to Bridge Connections you should be able to select your wireless adapter so both are essentially joined. Both network segments are joined on the same network. Though I haven't tried this quite the way you're saying though.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I'm not really familiar with the MAC OS network settings but in Windows if you right click on your ethernet adapter and go to Bridge Connections you should be able to select your wireless adapter so both are essentially joined. Both network segments are joined on the same network. Though I haven't tried this quite the way you're saying though.

Sounds good to me - Ill try that when I am in Plymouth tomorrow.

Total pain in the arse this is... :(

Back
Top Bottom