Freeview / Freeview HD / Freesat - questions and recommendations?

Caporegime
I've been using a Topfield TF5800PVR digi-hard-disk-recorder box for 2 or 3 years now, and it's been great barring a few hiccups, but it now appears to be dying on its arse so I'm considering replacements. Given that it appears to be taking a very rapid trip downhill, I may have to replace it rather more quickly than I'd planned. I've a few questions about what's available. For reference, I'm looking for a HD solution at some point as we now have a HDTV. I have a fairly good budget for this (£300ish), but I don't want a subscription based service i.e. Sky is not an option.

As far as I can tell my options are as follows:

1) Get a new hard disk for my current 5800 box. This would be a stopgap, as I think the whole thing is on the way out, but it is cheap. Is there anything revolutionary due 6 months down the line that would make it worth using a stopgap like this and holding off?

2) Getting a terrestrial box that is HD ready, say the FT5810. Now, it appears that these boxes can upscale a Freeview signal to an HD resolution, but can't actually process a Freeview HD signal. Is that correct? If so, this would seem like another stopgap, and an expensive one.

3) Get a Freesat HD box like a Humax Foxsat box. These, as I understand it, require a satellite dish, but can then receive the majority of Freeview channels, which are broadcast this way, as well as some HD channels which are broadcast this way, such as BBC HD and possibly ITV HD. Is that correct? Does anyone know how these will cope when Freeview HD comes about?

It appears that this is a bad time for a forced replacement, as it looks to me like we're waiting on Freeview HD. When will proper Freeview HD capable boxes be available? If it's likely to be a fair wait, is Freesat HD a good bet? I don't want to invest in, say, an upscaling HD box or a Freesat box and then be forced to upgrade to a Freeview HD box.

Sorry for the sprawling post... any guidance would be appreciated.

Soldato
I've been using a Topfield TF5800PVR digi-hard-disk-recorder box for 2 or 3 years now, and it's been great barring a few hiccups, but it now appears to be dying on its arse so I'm considering replacements. Given that it appears to be taking a very rapid trip downhill, I may have to replace it rather more quickly than I'd planned. I've a few questions about what's available. For reference, I'm looking for a HD solution at some point as we now have a HDTV. I have a fairly good budget for this (£300ish), but I don't want a subscription based service i.e. Sky is not an option.

As far as I can tell my options are as follows:

3) Get a Freesat HD box like a Humax Foxsat box. These, as I understand it, require a satellite dish, but can then receive the majority of Freeview channels, which are broadcast this way, as well as some HD channels which are broadcast this way, such as BBC HD and possibly ITV HD. Is that correct?

Sorry for the sprawling post... any guidance would be appreciated.

Owning a Humax Freesat box I can confirm that a dish is required. Also, ITV is now available in HD and that the Beeb show certain programs in HD. You're also correct that most of the Freeview channels are available.

Associate
When will proper Freeview HD capable boxes be available? If it's likely to be a fair wait, is Freesat HD a good bet? I don't want to invest in, say, an upscaling HD box or a Freesat box and then be forced to upgrade to a Freeview HD box.

There are a few Freeview HD boxes available to buy already - Humax, Bush, Ferguson - and a few more Freeview+ HD recorders coming out in the next month, some you can pre-order like Philips. Here's a good review list of all the Freeview HD boxes http://bit.ly/bQgtV5

So depending on what you're looking for, you might find Freeview HD is the quickest replacement option. Plus, there are three HD channels on Freeview - BBC HD, ITV1 HD and 4HD - compared to Freestat's two. And one more expected by the end of the year.

You should also check your postcode to find out when Freeview HD will be in your area. If it's not for a little while, a Freeview HD box still receives all the SD channels, so you'd have one ready when it does become available in your area! Check your postcode here: http://bit.ly/apnjn0

Back
Top Bottom