Sony brings back PS3/PSP cover

Caporegime
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010...ium=social&utm_campaign=protectionplan_050310

With the PlayStation Protection Plan, you can extend the same coverage from the original manufacturer’s one-year warranty for one or two additional years. The pricing includes all shipping charges and repairs, which are performed by PlayStation-trained service technicians at SCEA-authorized repair facilities. The PlayStation Protection Plan is available beginning in May 2010. PSP owners can also choose the Accidental Damage Plan, which provides coverage for cracked-screen damage in the event of an unexpected drop. See pricing below:
PS3 – 1-year extension ($44.99) or 2-year extension ($59.99)
PSP – 1-year extension ($29.99) or 2-year extension ($39.99)
PSP Accidental Damage – 1-year ($39.99) or 2-year ($49.99)

Which works out at less than I'm paying atm. (£5/month on their old Continuous Play scheme)

Soldato
They pretty much have to repair it upto 2 years minimum with EU directive and upto 5 years if you really want to push your rights. Why I never understood extended warrantys waste of money when your covered anyway.

Caporegime
OP
They pretty much have to repair it upto 2 years minimum with EU directive and upto 5 years if you really want to push your rights. Why I never understood extended warrantys waste of money when your covered anyway.

5 years? Anything to back that up? Not saying you're wrong, just never knew that.

Soldato
Does this actually buy 2 years cover from the moment you pay for it, or does it only add 2 years to the warranty from purchase?

[EDIT] Turns out it only applies to people still within their original warranty period:

PS3 and PSP owners take note – the PlayStation Protection Plan is available to PS3 or PSP owners (both the PSP-3000 and PSPgo systems) who are still within their one-year limited manufacturer’s warranty.

So pretty useless to me. Shame, for £30 i would have paid for the peace of mind.

Last edited:
Soldato
pretty sure its actually 6 years for you folk in england etc 5 for us scots but thats uk consumer rights. Good have to be fit for purpose etc wear and tear on how long you can expect something to last eg a fridge you would expect to last several years.

http://www.which.co.uk/advice/understanding-the-sale-of-goods-act/your-rights/index.jsp

About half way down.

Interesting, that.

You have the right to get a faulty item replaced or repaired, if you're happy with this (or if it's too late to reject it). You can ask the retailer to do either, but they can normally choose to do whatever would be cheapest.
Under the Sale of Goods Act, the retailer must either repair or replace the goods 'within a reasonable time but without causing significant inconvenience'. If the seller doesn't do this, you are entitled to claim either:

• reduction on the purchase price, or
  • your money back, minus an amount for the usage you've had of the goods (called 'recision').
If the retailer refuses to repair the goods, you may have the right to arrange for someone else to repair it, and then claim compensation from the retailer for the cost of doing this.
You have six years to make a claim for faulty goods in England, Wales and Northern Ireland; in Scotland you have five years.

Soldato
Do you have to prove that it was faulty within the first 6 months? If I have it for 6 years, with no warranty, and it breaks for no reason, can I claim it as a faulty product?

Soldato
Do you have to prove that it was faulty within the first 6 months? If I have it for 6 years, with no warranty, and it breaks for no reason, can I claim it as a faulty product?

If it breaks within 6 years and you have sufficient proof it is faulty, then you can claim any time within that period iirc. However you have to have pretty bloomin' concrete proof, an example of this would be the original launch Xbox 360s which had an estimated 60%+ failure rate, Microsoft bit the bullet and forked out $1bil in a day to avoid lawsuits and probably spent that much again by extending the warranty. If a popular product is found to have a serious hardware flaw it's often well publicised.

The PS3s failure rate has never come anywhere close to that (all figures i've read indicate around 5%, never seen more than 10% quoted) so your chances are slim i'd bet. The closest we've had to publication of any form of PS3 hardware fault was a terribly presented piece on watchdog, shame really, they had a point but totally lost all credibility due to the manner in which they argued their case.

Wouldn't stop me from trying if mine failed though.

Last edited:
Soldato
If there is less failure rate that would make your case stronger in some parts as the goods would be expected to last a reasonable time and with such a low failure rate if it then became faulty its allot easier to provide its both unreasonable and unexpected to fail so soon.

Back
Top Bottom