A beginners first build...

Associate
A beginners first build... Components Now Ordered!

First off, this is my very first post on this awesome forum, so if I have posted this in the wrong place, please forgive me and feel free to move this thread to the appropriate thread.

Secondly, I am hoping to soon build my first gaming pc. I am very new to this, all I have previously done is change the HDD and RAM in an Apple MacBook.

I was hoping to find out some of your opinions about how hard it is for a complete beginner to build a PC. Does everything just screw into place and plug in, or is it harder than that?

Also, if I post the hardware I am hoping to use in this thread, would you be able to tell me if everything is comparable?

Thanks in advance;)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Hi Welcome to the forums. Greywolf done this superb post in the sticky section that should answer all your questions:

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18046396

PC building is easier than what it once was. The difficult part is the selection process; compatibility, best value for money, needs -v- requirements etc. With a little patience and homework, you'll be off.. The best place to start, is pick a budget, then what components you are going to buy (we can help you there), then think about and research how your are going assemble them.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Hi Welcome to the forums. Greywolf done this superb post in the sticky section that should answer all your questions:

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18046396

PC building is easier than what it once was. The difficult part is the selection process; compatibility, best value for money, needs -v- requirements etc. With a little patience and homework, you'll be off.. The best place to start, is pick a budget, then what components you are going to buy (we can help you there), then think about and research how your are going assemble them.

Thanks for your help, that thread looks great and very informative.

For my first build, i want to keep it as close to £550 as possible. I also want to get the best graphics i can for that money. In addition, I also want the build to look good as well as performing well. I am thinking of using some cold cathode lighting and a cool looking case with a clear side panel.

This is currently the hardware i am thinking of using. Is this all compatible? Would you recommend changing any of this?

Motherboard - Asus P7H55-M - £65.99

Processor - Intel Core i5 650 3.20GHz - £158.99

RAM - Patriot G Series 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 - £88.99

GPU - GeForce 9500GT 1GB - £49.98

HDD - Seagate Barracuda 320GB - £38.99

DVD - LG DH16NS10 16x DVD-ROM Drive - £9.48

Case - NZXT M59 ATX Midi PC Case - £54.99

PSU - CiT 650UB Black Edition - £29.99

Tool Kit - £19.99

TOTAL COST - 517.39

Last edited:
Soldato
This will be massively faster/more reliable than the spec you've listed:

550spec.png

You could skimp on other components a bit more to get a 5770 graphics card (which are very nice for the money). But I think that's a nice all around spec. Avoid CIT power supplies, they're pretty terrible.

Associate
OP
This will be massively faster/more reliable than the spec you've listed:

550spec.png

You could skimp on other components a bit more to get a 5770 graphics card (which are very nice for the money). But I think that's a nice all around spec. Avoid CIT power supplies, they're pretty terrible.

Those are good specs. I have never really contemplated the idea of an AMD build. What is the main difference between AMD and Intel?

Also, wouldn't i need a better PSU than that with a higher wattage?

Soldato
The Corsair CX400W is fine for that build, that graphics card doesn't use too much power:

No hotlinking!

Main difference between AMD and intel... erm AMD doesn't use hyperthreading? The Intel CPU you've listed is an expensive dual core. The closest Intel CPU to the one I've listed is the i5 750 which costs slightly more.

Associate
Hi there, i remember my first build when all the components arrived i was so excited but when i started putting it together i got really nervous, especially when i first booted and for some reason it didnt work! turned out that the motherboard was faulty and had to return it, my pooint really id this. take your time, keep a cool head and if you have any questions the guys on this forum are excellent and very well knowleged (this forums helped me out no end in the past). im sure what happend to me wont happen to you but my advice would be to buy your parts from a reputable company with an established rma policy should the need arrise (again ocuk are excellent) should anything go wrong just keep a cool head and dont be affraid to post a community such as this get enjoyment from helping fellow rig builders especially first time ones. also i agree with the kit above the phenom2 x4 is excellent and should you decide to go down the road that leads to the art of overclocking its a very easy processor to clock! good luck mate keep us posted :)

Associate
OP
Hi there, i remember my first build when all the components arrived i was so excited but when i started putting it together i got really nervous, especially when i first booted and for some reason it didnt work! turned out that the motherboard was faulty and had to return it, my pooint really id this. take your time, keep a cool head and if you have any questions the guys on this forum are excellent and very well knowleged (this forums helped me out no end in the past). im sure what happend to me wont happen to you but my advice would be to buy your parts from a reputable company with an established rma policy should the need arrise (again ocuk are excellent) should anything go wrong just keep a cool head and dont be affraid to post a community such as this get enjoyment from helping fellow rig builders especially first time ones. also i agree with the kit above the phenom2 x4 is excellent and should you decide to go down the road that leads to the art of overclocking its a very easy processor to clock! good luck mate keep us posted :)

Thanks for that info, i will definatley be buying all of my parts from Overclockers UK now. I am also glad that the CPU can easily be overclocked as this is something else i eventually want to do.

So, now i have the specs that i am going to use, the ones from Redmint, how easy do you think it will be to put together?

Associate
its very hard to go wrong, practically any part will only fit in the motherboard one way and the kit specd by redmint is compatible when it all arrives have a good read through the mobo instructions as this practically tells you how to put it all together, i always use an anti static wrist strap when i build my rigs some choose not to but i like the extra safty element as it only takes a small amount of static to fry your parts if you dont use a strap keep one hand on a metallic area of the case as this does the same thing really. Just proceed at your own pace and have fun!

Soldato
hey i would really go for this instead, after a week or so you can get an aftermarket cpu cooler and some cathodes, maybe venture into custom case modding and cut your own window? the case is so cheap it wont hurt too much if you have to replace in the future.

buildd.png

Associate
The above is much better than before, the graphics will be much nicer for a gaming rig and the 250gb HDD is plenty really.
The only thing then is the case and whether you're happy with the appearence.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
hey i would really go for this instead, after a week or so you can get an aftermarket cpu cooler and some cathodes, maybe venture into custom case modding and cut your own window? the case is so cheap it wont hurt too much if you have to replace in the future.

buildd.png

The price isn't bad on this. I think i would spend a little extra and get a case i like in the first place because it will only cost about another £30 or so.

Something like this maybe? a CIT MARS GAMING PC CASE...

cscitmarsb.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom