Computer Beeps after installing RAM

Associate
Hi guys, I've been trying to install 2 x 1gb pc2-5300 ddr2 ram into slots 3 and 4 as slots one and two are occupied by 2 x 512 mb pc-3200 ram. After I add the ram (crucial ballistix) the computers fans spin at full speed and the mobo beeps 3 times and stops while the fans continue to spin.

The comp is a dell dimension 8400. I've heard a lot of people say push the ram down and the side clips should eject into place, but in my case that does not seem to happen, no matter how hard i push them down. I have checked the little gap inbetween the ram to tell me which way it goes in. I seem to manually have to push the clips up but after doing that it does seem pretty solid in place just like the ram in slots 1 and 2.

Associate
OP
Okay, I've now taken original ram of from slots 1 and 2 and replaced them with 2 x 1gb ballistix ram into slots 1 and 2. Same problem, fans spin, mobo beeps and that's it. So is this safe to say the ram is faulty?

Soldato
Need more details of what the motherboard is but in a lot of newer motherboards 2 sticks of memory go in slot 1 and 3 a second pair would go in 2 and 4. Older motherboards may not accept different sizes. Check the motherboard manual.

Andi.

Ah! just spotted it's a Dell, I've had lots of problems mixing memory in Dells. If original was 3200 is 5300 supported on the motherboard?

Associate
OP
Need more details of what the motherboard is but in a lot of newer motherboards 2 sticks of memory go in slot 1 and 3 a second pair would go in 2 and 4. Older motherboards may not accept different sizes. Check the motherboard manual.

Andi.

Ah! just spotted it's a Dell, I've had lots of problems mixing memory in Dells. If original was 3200 is 5300 supported on the motherboard?

Yes, and crucial used the scanner and said it was guaranteed to be compatible. Crucial states even pc6400 is compatible. I did try installing only the crucial ram, in slots 1 and 2 but the mobo still beeps and the fans spin.

Associate
OP
Try 1 stick at a time?

Andi.

I don't think I can, ram has to be installed in pairs. Or does this just mean "The recommended memory configurations are:

◦A pair of matched memory modules installed in DIMM connectors 1 and 2

◦A pair of matched memory modules installed in DIMM connectors 1 and 2 and another matched pair installed in DIMM connectors 3 and 4"

Or does this just mean that this is recommended method but you can install one at a time.

Forget it, I am trying one at a time now.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
check this:
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/SYSTEMS/dim8400/SM/adtshoot.htm
What diagnostic code do you get? and if you scroll further there is beep codes ;)

Okay this is the error I am getting;

Memory modules are detected, but a memory failure has occurred.
•If you have two or more memory modules installed, remove the modules, reinstall one module, and then restart the computer. If the computer starts normally, reinstall an additional module. Continue until you have identified a faulty module or reinstalled all modules without error.
•If available, install properly working memory of the same type into your computer.
•If the problem persists, contact Dell.

Associate
OP
Okay, the working ram shows up as 512mb? Any ideas guys?

Task manager says:

Physical memory (k)

Total 522332
Available 278128
System Cache 187504

Kernel memory
Total 55328

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Sounds like faulty ram to me :(

Okay I think I know what's going on here, after trying both ram, together and individually. My results are one module works. When I noticed that the system was showing 512mb ram I decided to type the numbers that appear on the ram into google (just to make sure my system wasn't playing around, and the searches I received all went as 2 x 512mb crucial ballistix ram.

Associate
OP
Okay right now I have, 2 x 512mb dell ram in the system when I try to add a 3rd ram module (crucial ballistix) which is supposed to have guaranteed compatibility and shows support in dells 8400 manual I get this error: (The dell and crucial ram are both 512mb a piece)

The dell ram runs at 400mhz whilst the ballistix runs at 533mhz.

"Incompatible SDRAM DIMMs are installed."

"Memory modules are detected, but a memory configuration or compatibility error exists.
•Ensure that no special memory module/memory connector placement requirements exist (see "Memory").
•Verify that the memory modules that you are installing are compatible with your computer (see "Memory"). "

I have tried putting one in at a time, it works all fine until it comes to adding one into the 3rd bank where thats when this error appears. Even if I fill both 3 and 4 memory banks it hands me the same error. I have tried the other way around as well were I have put the crucial in slots 1 and 2 and tried the dells on 3 and 4 but still the same error.

Help please?

Associate
Hi, Orc King, I have tried each memory module individually and in pairs of 2 and they were all working. By the way how do I use memtest, if the comp won't even boot up? Not being smart or anything, I just don't know how else I would use it.

Hi, You can run the test off your Driver DVD that you got from Dell. Just boot off the DVD and run the test from there. If you have lost it, and you know someone who has a dell system, then borrow their drivers DVD.:D

Back
Top Bottom