what on earth could be wrong here?

Associate
Guys I'm really indeed of some knowledgeable help, I have an MSI GX740 gaming laptop that is 3 weeks old now, I have noticed a very odd stuttering over all of my games, and found out that it could be the HD. here are some spikes that happened when the games freeze;

sdfss.png
eewf.png

I then ran 'HD Tune' for over 200 minutes and it found no errors at all..

56632637.jpg

what on earth could be causing these hardrive spikes, and how would I sort it?? :confused:

Associate
OP
thanks for the replys guys.

Yes it's under warranty, I just have a lot of work to do and sending my laptop away for 2 weeks will be a massive pain :(

A fresh install is my last resort I guess. Will this definitely fix the spikes you think? I just don't get it, as HD tune is telling me the HD is fine, yet, the spikes are obviously causing my games to freeze for 1-3 seconds all the time..

if this might also help you guys shed some light here is my benchmark

57937961.jpg

I wish I was more tech saavy :mad:

Associate
OP
I take it this the model with the 5870?

You may have a driver problem?... try rolling back to a earlier driver and try it out again :)

yes it is, i've tried earlier drivers, I've also flashed the BIOS and the VGA :( this issue is the HD though I'm sure.

If it's anything like my GX700 he won't have the Win7 disk to clean install from just a recovery disk

yeah, it doesn't have the win disk, just the recovery disk, so yeah, it's not really a fresh install at all, has all the bloatware etc

Looks like a driver/software conflict, I've had similar issues that some could only be resolved with a reboot or O/S re-install.

Thanks for the advice, hopefully the 'msi' fresh install will sort it.. I hope so

Associate
Considering the age of your GX740 I would hand the problem back to MSI to sort out!

knowing the problems that I had with them, the telephone and internet support is as much use as a chocolate kettle :(

if you change too much it will only give them a excuse to say that you have somehow voided the warranty and seeing as this is the current flagship model it should be tiptop!

Associate
OP
I agree. it's just such a massive pain..

I'm really annoyed with MSI, this is my 2nd GX740 from them now, the first one had a faulty screen.. though it was in 7 days of purchase and I got a replacement from where I purchased (though it took them 2 weeks to order a new one in)

now this one has a faulty HD. :mad: Considering I've spent £1000 for a laptop, both of which were faulty... I'm really, really P'd off.

Associate
Like I mentioned earlier, I have the older (now obsolete) MSI GX700 which cost well over the grand mark a couple of years ago. Indeed i'm using it to type this etc now that I'm away from home.

It's still very capable of running most of the newer games , up to say COD5, but i have had a lot of hassle with display drivers. It would not update to the the newer NVidia drivers, until I found a software workaround on the net. When I asked MSI about it they just blanked me.

I don't know about your machine but the Bios seem very limited? Again I think that's more by MSI design than anything else!?

Good luck :)

PS... I now use the lappy mainly as a "away from home" machine and experimenting with Linux on a dual boot setup :)

Associate
OP
ahh I see, yeah they are def the best bang for your buck in terms of powerful laptops..

an Alienware with the same specs is over 2 grand lol. I've just been very unlucky and had 2 faulty ones so far.

and thanks.

Associate
wait a sec before you start reinstalling or sending back

one very common cause for 1-3 sec pauses in games every now and again is WIFI. your adapter could be trying to find new hotpsots on the fly during gaming. are you running vista? there are fixes out there for this.

might be worth a shot

Associate
Nope he can't re install cos like all MSI products in the GX range it only comes with a system recovery disc as previously discussed.

the OP's model, GX740, comes with Win7 Home Prem (64 bit) :)

My GX700 came with Vista Home Prem 32 bit and has never suffered from WIFI stutter otherwise I would have suggested he looked at this :)

ATB

Associate
OP
k guys I really need some help now, I'm going mental here,

i decided to do MSI's fantastic OS RECOVERY!! it didn't recover anything at all, it was stuck 'recovering' for nearly 3 hours.
26082010169.jpg

I then had to turn it off, sadly, as it just wasn't ***** working

I now have this screen:

26082010174.jpg

Of course, MSI didn't include the shagging disk so I'm screwed, and very very annoyed.

Back
Top Bottom