What Router for Sky?

Caporegime
I'm getting Sky 20MB installed in hopefully this week (I have had BT delay and delay the new line since June...so I'm not 100% sure!) and I'm just wondering what router I should get, if any.

I've read that the sky router isn't very good, so I'd be keen to buy a better one if needs be, 10/100/1000 isn't necessary as my network is Gigabit, but a strong wireless performer would be good as the router will be upstairs in the front room, and we like to use a laptop in the garden to listen to music (this is ok at present with a Netgear cable router).

Soldato
If you don't mind not having gigabit ports then the DG834G v4 + would be ideal for a budget router.

Since September last year I have only rebooted mine twice. They seem to like Sky's network, keep the sync on the line and use the Broadcomm chipset.

I only really ever use the wireless for streaming music onto the laptop when having BBQ's and did not have any issues.

When I max out the connection downloading, I don't seem to have any issues with streaming content to my 360 at the same time so it's a good all rounder.

If you need to get the username and password to use a 3rd party router, go to https://www.cm9.net/skypass/ and you can obtain it through the routers mac and serial number. Alternatively, I think there is new firmware to update it with to obtain them also.

Caporegime
OP
Hmm I have a pathological hate of the DG834 series due to bad experiences at work. That said, they are reliable and decent enough routers. Is the wireless really strong? I've been looking at ways to boost the wireless signal to the bottom of the garden but there doesn't seem to be a reliable/easy way.

Associate
I've been using the standard Sky one for quite a while and it can be a little flakey.

I've just purchased this wired ADSL router (available for £11 and a quick google should show you where), and it seems to be working perfectly so far. The bonus being, you can use your existing router or any cable router you want.

I picked up one of the older Belkin N routers from here for £20 a week or two ago (which seem to have disappeared now) and it's been working flawlessly and with much better range than the standard Sky Router.

/edit

Alternatively you could just turn off the wireless function on the Sky router and stick your existing router elsewhere to save £11 :p

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Ahhah, so I could just plug in a wireless router to my wired router, and then use that as a pass through for the internet, and stick the wireless router in the kitchen for example to provide a really good signal in the garden?

Associate
Ahhah, so I could just plug in a wireless router to my wired router, and then use that as a pass through for the internet, and stick the wireless router in the kitchen for example to provide a really good signal in the garden?

Exactly yeah, you could (as I've edited above) just turn off the wireless on the Sky router and use your existing router in exactly the same way.

Caporegime
OP
[RB];17385420 said:
Alternatively you could just turn off the wireless function on the Sky router and stick your existing router elsewhere to save £11 :p
Might be the route I take in the end, though I can get a DG834 (wired) from work for free, so that might be a better option than the Sky router?

Soldato
It seems that Sky are now sending the D-Link DSL-2640S to new customers.

There have been some positive reviews on them with people saying that the wireless signal is a little better than the Netgear DG834G's with good QoS and they also use the Broadcom Chipset which is a bonus.

The SNR margins seem to be better with these new routers so you may get a better sync rate.

So you may not need to get another router after all.

Platypus, I PM'd you the link to the comments on the router.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Interesting read that, thanks Wiggins.

Can I still use my netgear cable router (WRN2000) to boost wireless signal if needs be?

Last edited:
Soldato
I've got the new Dlink provided with sky, it's fine. You'd be hard pushed to tell it apart from the older DG934.

I've also got the DG834G v4 with DG Team spare but I doubt I'll bother with it, the Dlink is fine for my needs (and most likely yours).

Associate
Interesting read that, thanks Wiggins.

Can I still use my netgear cable router (WRN2000) to boost wireless signal if needs be?

As long as you turn off the DHCP server, make sure it has a different IP address to the router Sky provided, has the same AP name and password to the Sky router (or Vice-versa) and is conencted to the Sky router with an ethernet cable it should work.

You'll essentially be using the WRN2000 as a wireless access point.

Caporegime
OP
Ok the DLink turned up, can I get onto it to change wireless settings and what have you? I don't particularly want to go with their default settings.

Soldato
They are now handing out D-Link DSL-2640S for new Sky Customers, No idea what it is like compared to the old Netgear & Sagem routers though.

Seems to be good, im synced at 5977kbps on a 44.5db line. I watched the SNR creep down last night all the way to 0.5db! (very low), and the line held solid :)

Associate
I went with Sky for my broadband at the beginning of September and I was sent the new D-Link. I find it a superb little router.

Prior to going to Sky, I used to use a Netgear DG834GT with my previous ISP, and I find the wireless range on the Sky D-Link router to be slightly better than my DG834GT.

I was wanting to use my Netgear with Sky, but at present the D-Link's Sky are sending out, have not been cracked to enable extraction of the username and password, like you could with Sky's previous Sagem and Netgear routers. Too be honest though, I don't find the need to do it now has I am more than happy with the D-Link, and it is against Sky's terms and conditions to use your own router, not that it stops anybody :D

Caporegime
OP
Ok all setup and going well. The line is being trained so it's a bit patchy but that's to be expected.

Question though. I've setup the wireless with the SSID broadcast off, and a wireless access list set up for my phone (writing on it now!) and the other halfs laptop. I can connect and browse without problem, she can't. It is a Mac book. Any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom