700D carbon fibre build: Blackbox II

Soldato
Just starting a thread for my first water cooled build.
Progress will be gradual as work and fatigue interfere!

As for the name Blackbox II, my Dad always used to call my PC 'the blackbox' so this build is an evolution on that theme.

The theme is carbon fibre, silver metal and white illumination highlights, including motherboard backlighting. I am going for a clean look that also performs well, something that Dad would be proud of!

So forgive me build addicts, as I take my time with this one:)

700D
20k6kis.jpg

Sans grommets:
1xz3pd.jpg

Standoffs came off with some needle nose pliers:
1085hl1.jpg

All off:
2reoe8w.jpg

What do we have here?! A tube...:
27yvr15.jpg

3m Carbon Di-Noc vinyl emerges:
2ywh0za.jpg

More:
o77yo8.jpg

Stock 140mm fans removed:
eq86yp.jpg

PCI slot covers plates removed:
1zl6ono.jpg

Ready for cutting with a scalpel:
349f2oy.jpg

The exposed and cut to shape film:
dg5nac.jpg

In situ:
25r1mjm.jpg

Too big as planned:
2w2exiv.jpg

Picture of the back:
okpzd4.jpg

Spot the motherboard! This case is BIG but getting used to it..:
o0xu02.jpg

Some access points cut out, I stopped myself there as I realised I didn't necessarily have to cut them ALL out and could have created a cleaner look potentially, oh well no deal, too late now, hopefully i'll need to use them all:
245wmz6.jpg

Box of toys:
1expwz.jpg

Test fitting the bottom piece:
ajm9o5.jpg

That's all for now, I have more pics but will do another uploading session tomorrow. Night

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
FINALY got some of these, 25mm fan shrouds are JUST too big to clear mobo heatsink up top:
ekqdfb.jpg

Cutting rear stock grill off with heavy duty snips:
2cnfjt5.jpg

off with initial smoothing:
e05o9c.jpg

cutting top grill off:
15cdg00.jpg

one off:
14m7w9t.jpg

two..:
2hrkb4n.jpg

three..:
j7caaw.jpg

eventually got myself reinforced cut off discs, these are BRILLIANT as I found out later:
5cf3pu.jpg

money shot:
sepp3r.jpg

first efforts:
24w8wzn.jpg

getting there:
23mx6pl.jpg

happy considering first working with steel:
t71wci.jpg

everyone likes DUST:
qx41av.jpg

allow me now to change direction, to the backlighting:
2gvv71d.jpg

soldered together:
2ebehqw.jpg

testing:
4rp254.jpg

Also flushed the rad today:
zwryv.jpg

XSPC RX360, didn't realise it had a plenum chamber both sides, my first rad but it looks decent:
nx7uxg.jpg

A cuppa solves everything, it got HOT fast!:
16ay6jb.jpg

First flush, clear water with copper oxide pieces:
16c85sp.jpg

Second flush with warm water, less junk:
14xi3xc.jpg

Did hot water two more times then three or so of deonized and have left it at that.
And yeh, correct as to where solder is from:)

All this being monitored is good for keeping me working on it :D

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
who knows what this is?:
28v4oxu.jpg

gulp, time to take apart the GTX, first screw came out ok, so they'll all be like this right?:
2sb69ls.jpg

WRONG! I knew they would be thread locked, was painstaking, eventually a bigger but more acutely tapered (sharper?!) screwdriver I had was perfect as I could apply much more needed pressure. I also used a soldering iron on some but don't know if it did anything:
33otyci.jpg

prising cooler open:
339ru3s.jpg

no going back now:
91f3hd.jpg

forgot this final little tab, then it all came off:
2hcfh1k.jpg

taking the heatsink off:
eg7ddd.jpg

the paste, the paste:
2mcha9j.jpg

presoak in nail polish remover:
1qs8bq.jpg

Hello:
29fw5mg.jpg

shiny shiny:
21l4wab.jpg

flushed with deionised:
9ifcpd.jpg

core clean and ready for MX-3:
9fxn52.jpg

I just followed EK's paste application advice, thermal pads on too, not very sticky:
e0pw2.jpg

mounting bracket on with washer:
1zpnyg6.jpg

was worried about mounting these lads on for fear of em slipping around:
15s8mc7.jpg

In the end the prolimatech paste I had was fairly sticky and did the job fine. standoffs would be nice however EK!:
30ieuty.jpg

Backplate time:):
k12tcp.jpg

more:
14wdmyc.jpg

block on card:
280ljlh.jpg

final one, magpie win:
vnd009.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Cheers,
Yeh specs as per sig, I have wanted to try watercooling for six years and went this way instead of going i5/upgrading etc.

However I will see what sandybridge brings to the table next year...

Soldato
That stuff does look rather good. I bet it's fiddly getting it cut and laid right though.

I bet that will look sweet when the case is all covered and finished.

Soldato
Carbon fibre looks sweet. Everyone loves CF so I don't blame for using vinyl sheets rather than the real deal, which is ridiculously expensive :p

As long as you didn't get the CF from a competitor feel free to post where you got it from up!

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the encouraging words so far.

I'm waiting for some dremel reinforced cutting discs and a mandrel to arrive this week to tidy up the rad grill area (i've cut out the stock mesh) and to make a starter cut for my jigsaw for a custom window:) Which will be faint smoked perspex i'm thinking.

The film is easy to apply, its scored with fine channels underneath, on entire flat sections not even one air bubble formed, even if it did you would easily be able to push it out. You can do compound curves with a heatgun too (I bought one for the mod) to soften up the film or return it to normal if you crease it wrong!

I have experimented on the corners of the case and found I can even make a seamless effect over the right angle! Great stuff, I got it from undergroundgraphics.com, best prices and sensible sizes in the UK I think...

Gonna take friday off work to make needed inroads:)

Associate
Really great look going on, I might have to do something inventive with my next build :) Maybe some white/silver lighting could further enhance the look of the CF in the dark :)

Associate
I got some from here

They dont seam to sell anything OC dose so should be ok. I was tempted to go all the way and build the case from scratch useing Epoxy and carbon fibre but lacked the time money.

Soldato
OP
Alright i'm off work now till monday whoo-hoo, but my housemate is recovering from nights now:( Didn't plan this so well...
Just gonna fire up the petrol angle grinder anyway...

No the film is removable but it needs a decent sustained tug to get it off, leaving no residue I might add. So the small puny heat from the mobo won't lift it I feel...compared to the heat gun which again does not cause lifting but increased maleability

From a few feet this stuff looks about 85-90% like real CF, the mess, cost and hassle of the real deal are astronomical and not for me. The new NZXT case would like pretty good and be easy to apply the vinyl to... specially as white CF vinyl is in the UK now...hmmm there's an idea

So today I may be blocking up the GTX 470, flushing the rad and blocks etc and anything else that doesn't involved grinding noises!

First gonna go pick up my cut off dremel discs from post office depot...exciting times

Back
Top Bottom