• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

XFX Radeon HD 6870 Smiles for the Camera

Soldato
http://www.techpowerup.com/132790/XFX-Radeon-HD-6870-Smiles-for-the-Camera.html

XFX is ready with the first AIB-branded Radeon HD 6000 series graphics card to be caught on camera. Its Radeon HD 6870 graphics card bears a racy-looking AMD reference-design blower-type cooling solution, with its own company sticker. The company has opted for the AMD-branded Radeon logo. It draws power from two 6-pin power connectors, has no backplate on the PCB's reverse side, and sports a custom-design rear-panel on which the XFX logo is etched on the exhaust. Display connectors include two DVI, an HDMI, and two mini-DisplayPort. Radeon HD 6870 is intended to be a successor to the Radeon HD 5700 series, a performance segment product targeting a price sweet-spot. Radeon HD 5800 series successors are Radeon HD 6900 series.

I like.

75b.jpg

75az.jpg

Soldato
that back plate grill looks awfull, why did they do that, thats a bloody air space restriction lol and the logo they chosen wouldn't have been my choice its fugly.

Caporegime
that back plate grill looks awfull, why did they do that, thats a bloody air space restriction lol and the logo they chosen wouldn't have been my choice its fugly.

Thats WAY less restriction than the usual backplate which has way to many little verticle bits across it, standard one is terrible for restriction, thats better, 3 basic slim supports along it would block pretty much any kid getting their fingers in there and be better though.

Still waiting for AMD/Nvidia to come up with, as standard, non blower coolers. Dell might love them, people who don't understand cooling in their cases might, for actual cooling they are ruddy awful.

Its still rather impossible to guess on pricing, various rumours have the card at anything from 960 to 1280 shaders, which will make a large difference in price. If its really 960 shaders and outperforms a 5850, its a phenomenal job by AMD and should only a bit over half the size of a GF104 with higher performance. I wouldn't be surprised if it had more shaders and was a bit bigger. Its gonna hurt Nvidia no matter the price frankly.

Soldato
As a 57xx replacement, it looks like it's a bit power-hungry... 2 6pin connectors...

Might the upper end 6xxx series be as hot as Fermi?

Oh, and the backplate design is silly. An open gap would work much better, or, for H+S reasons, a fine mesh or something? Who looks at the backplate enough to warrant a logo?

Man of Honour
also what is that screw doing on the bottom left of the second picture??? a protruding thread?! i thought the screws went into the card not out!!

The 5850 reference has that screw sticking out, its either keeping the back plate on the card or securing the cooler shroud, cant remember, but do remember it being there on my reference card.

Back
Top Bottom