• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Best gpu to run with a 400w psu

Associate
Looking at getting a graphics card the system has got a corsair 400w psu in there at the moment & a amd phenom 9850 cpu. So what's the best card out there that I could buy with out the need to upgrading the psu?

I was thinking maybe something like a 9800GT, but can anyone recommend anything better than that please?

Cheers

Associate
OP
I guess I'm out a touch a bit when it comes to gpu's at the mo. Never though I would be able to use a 6850 or a 6870. So there was me thinking what card can my pc handle but it's more of the question now how much shall I spend lol

Thanks guys

Associate
I guess I'm out a touch a bit when it comes to gpu's at the mo. Never though I would be able to use a 6850 or a 6870. So there was me thinking what card can my pc handle but it's more of the question now how much shall I spend lol

Thanks guys
Hah.

There was a point where the newer cards were getting more and more power hungry but with the release of the revised Ferni chip, the 460 draws in a surprisingly low amount of power, especially if you compare it to the older 465 or 470.

ATI have followed suit with the new 68xx cards, they're pretty much revised (and shrunken) chips that were on the 5770 and so take even less power.

This is win-win for the consumer as not only does less power usually mean less heat (which subsequently usually also means less noise as fans don't need to spin so fast), it also means you potentially pay less in the long run with smaller electricity bills :)

Oh and you can you don't have to fork out for 1000w PSU like some people were doing as "preparation for the future".

Associate
OP
Hi guys,

Got my funds ready to order a new card....But want to double check that the corsair 400w psu will still run one of the newer cards as its only got 1 PCI-E connector but looking at pictures of some of the newer cards it requires 2 PCI-E power connectors

Back
Top Bottom