Overclockers UK Forums Click here for more details
Free Shipping for Loyal Forum Members - CLICK HERE

Go Back   Overclockers UK Forums > Life > Motors

Old 30th Oct 2010, 08:07   #1
Johnnytoxic
PermaBanned

Caught by a gatso. How do I obtain the calibration certificate and photo?

I was caught doing 38mph in a 30 zone. I cannot remember being flashed at all.

I hear it's wise to check the calibration certificate and the photo. Anyone know how I would go about obtaining this? Would I attach a covering letter when confirming who was driving at the time?
Johnnytoxic is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 30th Oct 2010, 08:22   #2
DM
PermaBanned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnytoxic View Post

I hear it's wise to check the calibration certificate and the photo. Anyone know how I would go about obtaining this? Would I attach a covering letter when confirming who was driving at the time?
Should try harder, you could have been doing at least 50 on that bit of road
DM is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 30th Oct 2010, 08:29   #3
AtticusFinch
Wise Guy

Or just stop speeding?
AtticusFinch is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 30th Oct 2010, 08:32   #4
fini
Sgarrista

Quote:
http://www.pepipoo.com/ are amazing.

quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur
fini is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 30th Oct 2010, 09:17   #5
Wicksta
PermaBanned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtticusFinch View Post
Or just stop speeding?
How is that going to help with a NIP that has already been issued?
Wicksta is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 30th Oct 2010, 09:31   #6
iaind
Capodecina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicksta View Post
How is that going to help with a NIP that has already been issued?
He pays it and gets on with his life?
iaind is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 30th Oct 2010, 09:43   #7
Wicksta
PermaBanned

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaind View Post
He pays it and gets on with his life?
That is a reasonable suggestion, yes. But completely different to "stop speeding?" which you can't apply to the NIP in the OP at all.
Wicksta is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 30th Oct 2010, 09:47   #8
iaind
Capodecina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicksta View Post
That is a reasonable suggestion, yes. But completely different to "stop speeding?" which you can't apply to the NIP in the OP at all.
Well no, very true. But it is a good suggestion for the future.

To reiterate though op - you say you don't remember getting flashed, which sounds like you know you were speeding just don't remember the camera. So you could spend your life on pepipoo, trying to find every little loophole to weasel your way out of it, getting more and more stressed along the way. Or you could pay the fine, take it like a man, think "oh well, my fault" and go and carry on with your life
Old 30th Oct 2010, 10:17   #9
lordrobs
Capodecina

Quote:

To reiterate though op - you say you don't remember getting flashed, which sounds like you know you were speeding just don't remember the camera.
Sounds to me that he doesn't remember a flash bulb going off in his rear view mirror, the rest is just your assumption.

lordrobs is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 30th Oct 2010, 10:21   #10
iaind
Capodecina

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordrobs View Post
Sounds to me that he doesn't remember a flash bulb going off in his rear view mirror, the rest is just your assumption.
Possibly, but if I'd had known I wasn't speeding I would have said so. I'd only pursue anything if I was confident I wasn't in the wrong
Old 30th Oct 2010, 10:26   #11
Morba
Caporegime

He hasn't said he wasn't speeding though?

Founding member of the OcUK 19" Club
Morba is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 30th Oct 2010, 10:30   #12
iaind
Capodecina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morba View Post
He hasn't said he wasn't speeding though?
Erm, that was sort of my point. I'd assume most people would say if they weren't speeding in a thread like this, so it sounds to me like he was speeding.
Old 30th Oct 2010, 11:05   #13
Morba
Caporegime

Ah right, I probably read it wrong

Founding member of the OcUK 19" Club
Morba is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 30th Oct 2010, 11:53   #14
Cosimo
Man of Honour

Quote:
Can you remember speeding?

Sounds as if you take it on the chin and just cough up.

Cosimo is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 30th Oct 2010, 13:29   #15
loltim
Capodecina

Might get away with a speed awareness course for 38 in a 30. I did. Think it was 60 plus a 1 booking fee.
loltim is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 30th Oct 2010, 13:30   #16
Lashout_UK
Capodecina

Who says the camera, if it was, flashed! It's only GATSOs that flash, isn't it?

Lashout_UK is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 30th Oct 2010, 16:18   #17
PMKeates
Capodecina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
Might get away with a speed awareness course for 38 in a 30. I did. Think it was 60 plus a 1 booking fee.
Good job you mentioned booking fee. I've heard a few people have gone bankrupt without planning for it.

PMKeates is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 30th Oct 2010, 19:09   #18
Participant
Caporegime

^ Very drole.

You write to the issuer of the NIP (snigger). But they probably won't give it to you unless you are intending to dispute it in court.

You can probably force them somehow before it reaches that stage, but I doubt it's worth the hassle unless you have a full time solicitor on your books.

Last edited by Participant; 30th Oct 2010 at 19:12.
Participant is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 30th Oct 2010, 20:00   #19
Johnnytoxic
PermaBanned

Thanks for the advice. I've been on a course before for talking on my mobile. I think you can only go on one in three years. I would like to see the photo and calibration though, as it wouldn't suprise me if something was amiss.

For all I know. some numpty working at Gatso central probably wanted to get out on time and so slaps me on the prosecution pile.
Old 31st Oct 2010, 10:28   #20
iaind
Capodecina

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. I've been on a course before for talking on my mobile. I think you can only go on one in three years. I would like to see the photo and calibration though, as it wouldn't suprise me if something was amiss.

For all I know. some numpty working at Gatso central probably wanted to get out on time and so slaps me on the prosecution pile.
Lol, yep, thats exactly how it works.

I think you should concentrate on improving your driving rather than trying to weasel your way out of things
Old 31st Oct 2010, 10:55   #21
AnastieByte
Hitman

A few years ago I asked to see the photo and calibration certificate. I was told that the only way I could see them was if it went to court. Only then would they be released.

I did not want to go to court so rolled over and paid
AnastieByte is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Nov 2010, 14:55   #22
Johnnytoxic
PermaBanned

After admitting I was the driver, I've been offered to go on a Speed Awareness course.

This one is scheduled for 4 hours and is asking me what kind of car I want to drive. Must be some practical element involved. I'll try to set a good lap time jk
Old 3rd Nov 2010, 15:06   #23
Locky
Capodecina

Quote:
Lol, yep, thats exactly how it works.

I think you should concentrate on improving your driving rather than trying to weasel your way out of things
Never done speeding yourself? such a hypocrite...

Last edited by Locky; 3rd Nov 2010 at 15:20.
Locky is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Nov 2010, 15:07   #24
Jono8
Capodecina

Quote:
After admitting I was the driver, I've been offered to go on a Speed Awareness course.

This one is scheduled for 4 hours and is asking me what kind of car I want to drive. Must be some practical element involved. I'll try to set a good lap time jk
R8
Jono8 is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Nov 2010, 23:25   #25
lawz
Gangster

One without a license plate would obviously be an asset
lawz is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 4th Nov 2010, 00:04   #26
Tute
Capodecina

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnastieByte View Post
A few years ago I asked to see the photo and calibration certificate. I was told that the only way I could see them was if it went to court. Only then would they be released.

I did not want to go to court so rolled over and paid
Isn't it amazing how when it comes to speeding, the use of extortion is perfectly legal.

5820K | X99E-ITX | 32GB DDR4 | RX 480 | 840 EVO M.2 | NCASE M1
Tute is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 4th Nov 2010, 06:18   #27
Meridian
Man of Honour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tute View Post
Isn't it amazing how when it comes to speeding, the use of extortion is perfectly legal.

Read the definition of extortion. He has been charged with an offence, and told he must go to court. He has the option of pleading guilty and avoiding the court, and thus getting a rather lower sentence than if the Mags convicted him. That option is open solely to save money, part of which is achieved by the authorities not processing any evidence (which costs). He is entirely at liberty to go to court and demand any evidence he wishes. He may even be found not guilty - yes , it happens. What you (and others) are suggesting is more like having your cake and eating it, because the option of getting a lower sentence than the correct one is only there if it is not contested. The sentence handed down my the Mags is the correct one, and that one he is at liberty to contest.

M

Meridian is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 4th Nov 2010, 08:40   #28
Tute
Capodecina

Well that's pretty much totally what i'm on about. The OP cannot contest the charge without the risk of making things worse for himself. Cost shouldn't matter - speeding cameras are not 100% reliable yet the police like everyone to believe they are, and put obstacles in your way if you try to prove they aren't.

Smells like extortion to me - they're obtaining a fine from you by threatening you with a worse penalty if you try to contest it. No better than a rogue clamping firm to me.

Old 4th Nov 2010, 17:13   #29
Meridian
Man of Honour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tute View Post
Well that's pretty much totally what i'm on about. The OP cannot contest the charge without the risk of making things worse for himself. .

He is not making things worse for himself. I will try to explain this again, because you aren't the only one who doesn't seem to understand this. The punishment given to you by the magistrates is the correct punishment. Again: the punishment imposed by the courts is the going rate for speeding at the rate you were doing it. Do you get that bit?

Right. As with most minor offences, the courts allow you a reduction in sentence for an early guilty plea. That applies not just to speeding, but to things like shoplifting, burglary, even assault and stuff. Pretty much everything that isn't due a life sentence - and even there you get a lower tariff. Again: all crimes, not just speeding.

But. In all cases you get the best reduction if you plead right at the beginning. You can change from not guilty to guilty at any point until the magistrates or jury go out to deliberate, after that you're stuck. But the longer you leave it, the less mitigation you get.

You know whether you are guilty or not. The court is not very happy with the idea that you know perfectly well that you committed the offence, but just want to know if you are likely to be convicted. The court is not in the business of playing Prisoner's Dilemma with you. Hence the reason why it asks for you to say whether you are guilty or not, but without producing evidence. If you committed the crime, take the punishment and stop being a cry-baby. If you genuinely are innocent, then contest it.

Do we understand yet?

M

Meridian is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 5th Nov 2010, 00:50   #30
Tute
Capodecina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meridian View Post
He is not making things worse for himself. I will try to explain this again, because you aren't the only one who doesn't seem to understand this. The punishment given to you by the magistrates is the correct punishment. Again: the punishment imposed by the courts is the going rate for speeding at the rate you were doing it. Do you get that bit?
That's fine, I understand that.

Quote:
Right. As with most minor offences, the courts allow you a reduction in sentence for an early guilty plea. That applies not just to speeding, but to things like shoplifting, burglary, even assault and stuff. Pretty much everything that isn't due a life sentence - and even there you get a lower tariff. Again: all crimes, not just speeding.
Yeah, I agree with that.

Quote:
But. In all cases you get the best reduction if you plead right at the beginning. You can change from not guilty to guilty at any point until the magistrates or jury go out to deliberate, after that you're stuck. But the longer you leave it, the less mitigation you get.
Yeah, fine.

Quote:
You know whether you are guilty or not. The court is not very happy with the idea that you know perfectly well that you committed the offence, but just want to know if you are likely to be convicted. The court is not in the business of playing Prisoner's Dilemma with you. Hence the reason why it asks for you to say whether you are guilty or not, but without producing evidence. If you committed the crime, take the punishment and stop being a cry-baby. If you genuinely are innocent, then contest it.

Do we understand yet?

M
I understand, but here's where the problem starts. The court might well not like the idea, but at the end of the day I don't think it's unreasonable to check the photo for errors without having the risk of making things worse.

After all, it's been proven that speeding cameras are NOT 100% accurate - a quick google will bring up cases where the police have chased the case right to court, only for a mistake at their end to cause them to lose it.

Now Joe Bloggs might well have gotten flashed for a crime he did not commit, but due to fear of losing the case might well not bother fighting it. And that's an utter travesty, and where the coercing comes into play. The police are relying on the fact that people are afraid of losing the case and making things worse for themselves, in order to obtain convictions where they might well not exist.

Then again, it's been the case in this country for a long time now - when it comes to speeding, you're guilty until proven innocent.