The Witcher - worth playing?

Soldato
Is it worth playing? Any mods, graphical updates I should get with it?

I see a 2nd one is coming out, is it a continuation of the story?

Many thanks.

Soldato
Did I not see something everyone else did? I just couldnt get into it. I dont even know why really. I loved Dragon Age, WoW, Dungeon Siege 1 and 2, Fable and Diablo...but The Witcher just did nothing for me. Should I give it another shot?

Soldato
Did I not see something everyone else did? I just couldnt get into it. I dont even know why really. I loved Dragon Age, WoW, Dungeon Siege 1 and 2, Fable and Diablo...but The Witcher just did nothing for me. Should I give it another shot?

No, you seem to love casual RPGs, more of the action RPGs or even hack'n'slash like Dungeon Siege or Diablo.

uv

uv

Soldato

how far in did you get? Act one and two start off a bit slow to be honest, but it ramps up - the final two acts (and epilogue) are absolutely fantastic!

Caporegime
What makes the Witcher different to Dragon Age, WoW, Dungeon Siege 1 and 2, Fable and Diablo then? If it's got trillions of stats and inventory items I'm not sure I'll like it either.

Soldato
One of my all-time favourite RPG's, but make sure you get the Enhanced Edition.

The witcher is different to the other RPGs in that you're playing a particular character rather than creating your own. You do get to choose which skills to level up though.

The biggest difference is the moral choices you have to make. Unlike other games there are no good or bad choices, there are no right or wrong decisions or good or evil choices - just shades of grey. Also the consequences of your choices are not made apparent until some time after you make them, so you can't just reload a save game to change a choice. I really agonised over some of the choices - it really is a case of damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Associate
Buy it now! It's a PC classic in every sense of the word in my opinion. A long adventure, nice graphics, none of this DLC and DRM rubbish that restrict games now. Plus the Witcher 2 is out next year so if you get it now you will be set for when the sequel turns up.

Permabanned
Only discovered it a few months ago myself. Was very hesitant about it for the longest time, but boy am I glad I finally got it :)

Soldato
found it in a 2nd hand store (oxfam) for £4 :D
upgrade to EE and 1.5 and it should iron out most bugs
I didn't like the combat at first (couldn't figure out not to just hold down attack to hit people)

uv

uv

Soldato
found it in a 2nd hand store (oxfam) for £4 :D
upgrade to EE and 1.5 and it should iron out most bugs
I didn't like the combat at first (couldn't figure out not to just hold down attack to hit people)

Once you max out Igni (as in, complete Gold) and get Petri's Philter, the combat doesn't really matter :p

During the last act and epilogue, I was just one-or-two-shotting the surrounding hordes with igni, and rarely did I have to use my swords - rather imbalanced to be honest :D

Soldato
If you had X amount of time, would you say play The Witcher, or Mass Effect 1?

Got them both and have a nice break coming up over the holidays....

Permabanned
Really love both and wouldn't too much compare the two for obvious reason. However, I'd choose Mass Effect at a push.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom