• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Sandy Bridge Failed Chips

Associate
Ok.. so we have a few that have failed. Lets keep a record of the chips that have failed.

Please just post if your Sandy Bridge chip has failed please to keep the thread easy to read.
Stating the chip and codes.

I will start off with mine...

CPU Model Number And Batch Number (CPU's VID) = 2500K MALAY L037B155
Motherboard Make And Model Number (BIOS Version)= Asus P8P67 Pro 1053
Memory Make and Model Number= Patriot PC3 - 19200 2400Mhz 2x2GB @2133 9,11,9,27 also OCZ PC3 12800 1600Mhz 6,8,6,24
Core Voltage = 1.4v Max used
Memory Voltage = 1.65v
BCLK Base Clock = 104
PLL Voltage = Stock

Last edited:
Soldato
2600K L039B214 - No overclock yet, random bluescreen then fail. No POST anymore. Maybe its just a one off tbh, though i rarely get a bad cpu. Other cpu is working fine so far in same setup (L040B157)

Core Voltage = Stock
Memory Voltage = 1.5v
BCLK Base Clock = Stock
PLL Voltage = Stock

Didn't last 3 hours, not even overclocked it yet and now dealing with RMA process.

Last edited:
Soldato
Simon maybe state the following and the maximum settings you had in the BIOS before failure.

CPU Model Number And Batch Number (CPU's VID) (Stepping) =
Motherboard Make And Model Number (BIOS Version) =
Memory Make and Model Number (Timing Used) =
Max Core Voltage Used (SHOULD NEVER BE SET MORE THEN 1.35v) =
Max Memory Voltage Used (SHOULD NEVER BE SET MORE THEN 1.5v to 1.55v) =
Max BCLK Base Clock Used (SHOULD NEVER BE SET MORE THEN 100) =
PLL Voltage (SHOULD NEVER BE SET MORE THEN 1.9v) =

Last edited:
Associate
Im going to order later this evening and im not nervous at all. If the chip is at fault it will be replaced under warranty, if the chip dies it will get replaced under warranty.

Im planning on running at stock for the most part with OC later down the line.

Soldato
I managed to get two ES E6400 about 3 months before Conroe launch :D

Always the odd few that leak. Ive got a ES E6850 in my draw. Must say the thing OC like a trooper. But what im saying is they wont end up in a e-tailors stock as there not allowed to resold. People who end up with Sandybridge ES samples have either been given/stollen them or bought off somewhere like ebay from people breaking the rules.

Last edited:
Soldato
The orginal post should be updated with other peoples chip info.

Also so far both chips that died had BCLK that was not 100. Left on auto it varies. It seems it's paramount that it's set to 100 from what's been floating about forums. A seriously big error from the mobo companies if this is the case and can expect many cpu's to be dieing. But for that reason I suspect maybe it's not the case? They must have surely tested these mobos and such an error would be picked up quickly no?

Associate
I would have hoped that some serious testing and forethought went into the considerations that BCLK should stay put at 100. Have seen sites and forums suggest it may be possible to gain higher overclocks by pushing it up to 108 or higher. Now that just seems like too much of a gamble...

Building a Sandybridge rig soon solely for the purpose of CAD work and I hope i'm not going to be bitten in the ass by adopting this early on into the game!

Soldato
but like most things, 99% of information you will get about new technology is its faults. out of the hundreds of thousands of items sold, there is bound to be a few that develope a fault, what about all the people that bought the chips without any issues, they are unlikely to start threads about 'my sb is working without any faults at all'. i feel for everyone that has problems, but a mass panic these chips are dudd does seem a bit premeture.

Back
Top Bottom