• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Fitting a Thermalright Shaman to a 6950

Soldato
Ever since getting my Asus HD6950 I've been concerned about the noise it makes, especially at idle but also while gaming. Temperatures would often hit and go over 90 degrees with the little blower fan screeching away (comparitively so).

I've been looking at aftermarket coolers and decided that I'd go with something at the top end of air cooling.

Thermalright seemed to fit the bill and with a couple of coolers available I chose the Thermalright Shaman because it was a little more sensible than the frankly funny looking Thermaltight Spitfire.

The Shaman comes with a selection of RAM heatsinks, VRM type heatsinks and some low profile heatsinks enough for most cards I imagine and certainly more than enough for a 6950/6970. Each heatsink comes pre-applied with adhesive thermal pad. You also get some Chill factor 3 thermal paste, case sticker, booklet and fan clips. I didn't take pictures of everything as this is more a man on the street tutorial/review of fitting the cooler and not so much an unboxing. Needless to say there are videos/guides/tutorials about what comes with the kit.

So this post is a kind of build log from before fitment to fully installed and working.

Here's what the inside of my PC looked like 5 minutes before taking the card out.

before-1.jpg

As usual the Thermalright products come in a plain cardboard box.

therm-box.jpg

The TY-140 fan. I wasn't quite prepared for the colour of this thing, despite reading it was a green colour.
ty-140.jpg

The heatsink itself
shaman-sink-1.jpg

shaman-contact-1.jpg

A quick comparison shot of the Shaman on top of the stock card.
shaman-stock.jpg

Next to my iPod
shaman-ipod-1.jpg

On the backplate of the 6950 there are a bunch of screws. 10 holding the metal plate to the cooler assembly, 2 in the side of the side plate and 4 holding the cooler to the GPU die.

I undid the 10, then the 2 and finally the 4 holding the cooler to the die. I was careful to undo the screws for the retention bracket a bit at a time until all four were loose.

Then I gave a little tug to the cooler assembly and off it popped.

The GPU die was a little messy where the TIM had been applied.
stock-tim2-1.jpg

The TIM remaining on the stock cooler.
stock-tim-1.jpg

Fitting the RAM and VRM heatsinks was a simple enough process. The VRM sinks didn't work out perfectly and I didn't want a heatsink straddling a chip so I cut one of them down a bit. This gives 3.75 heatsinks instead of 3 so may give better heat dissipation. I also used one of the Thermalright supplied low profile heatsink trimmed a bit for a mysterious chip to the left of the RAM, not sure what it's for but it had a thermal pad on it.

sinks-fitted.jpg

I decided not to remove some of the hardened stock TIM from the edge of the GPU as I didn't want to risk popping off one of those SMD capacitors as I was gouging out rock hard TIM.

Then it's a simple matter of applying TIM to the GPU die and the contact plate of the Shaman. I used MX-3 rather than the Chill factor that came with the Thermalright simply because I had a new tube of MX-3 in my draw. I used the finger in some cling film trick and a plastic card to evenly spread.

Then following the instructions it's time to turn the card over and sit it atop the cooler, adding washers and stuff and tighten down carefully.

And hey presto we have a mammoth cooler on the card.

shaman-fitted.jpg

And finally installing into my machine.

installed.jpg

Stock speed of the fan is 1300 rpm which is a tad noisy. At the moment I have a Noctua U.L.N.A. resistor wire sitting on the end of the 4 pin PWM cable and into my motherboard (not pictured here). The fan now spins at 760 rpm.

I did a run of Kombustor for a while and noted top temperatures were 65, 60, 64 for the three GPU readings in GPU-z. This is at 760 rpm. This compares with the 90s I was getting before along with a noise some order of magnitude higher.

I have a further mod planned where I will be taking the PWM signal of the card and feeding it into the standard fan connector. I have some of the mini fan connectors which fit fine and will do some magic soldering to realise this. I may also get my case exhaust fan wired up to the same PWM signal as typically it's needed to run faster when the graphics runs fast.

Many thanks to Skid34 who gave lots of good advice and pointers via Trust before I started.

I'm also thinking of a way I can make this look a little better, maybe covering the green fan in something (paint perhaps) and getting some LED action in and through that heatsink.

Last edited:
Associate
nice m8 ave just flashed my 6950 to 6970 :D and put a artic turbo pro on the temps are amazing ,don't know what amd are about putting a blower on these cards tbh

my temps are 36c idle full load 65c @ 40% fan

Caporegime
Is that a soundcard underneath, hard to tell from the pics but it seems to be blocking some of the airflow. Is it a pci-e 1x type card, again hard to tell from the pics. Can't you stick it in the small slot above the gpu?

Still nice temps, for me both on 5850 and 6950@6970 the best thing was the drop in noise. Prolimatech mk 13 on mine, its awesome how easy it is to cool the VRM's on the 6970 vs the 5850, those tiny sinks I'm also using on the 6950, they'd have melted on the 5850 :p

Mounting method is way better on that Shaman over the Prolimatech, on mine you need the heatsink upturned on a surface, hold the gpu facing down above it and try and connect 4 tiny screws through the card into the heatsink while not screwing up the paste/contact. Posts coming through from gpu side then flipping over is massively better.

Soldato
Very nice, I fitted a Thermalright HR-03 to my 8800GTS a few years back. It made a world of difference for both noise and temps, quality bit of kit.

With regards to controlling the fan speed, have you considered using a fan controller? either one that sits in a spare front bay, or the even cheaper 4 quid zalman "fanmate"

Soldato
Well done, good job. That fan on your cooler can also fit onto the roof of your case too.

put a artic turbo pro on the temps are amazing

I Put an AC xtreme on mine from my 5870. A bit of advice for you, get yourself Scythe Ninja Wire to take some pressure off the pci-e slot and stop the card bending (it will get worse over time). You can put the wire through the cooler so it doesn't touch the card.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
With regards to controlling the fan speed, have you considered using a fan controller? either one that sits in a spare front bay, or the even cheaper 4 quid zalman "fanmate"

I did consider it but to be honest I can't be relied on to adjust settings when needed. PWM control is the best way forward for me. :) Will probably need a BIOS amendment though as the fan doesn't spin much at 65 degrees. ;)

Here's the fan connector I have which I will use. I have ordered one from China too but might give the custom made solution a try first.
minifan_connector.jpg

tommybhoy said:
A bit of advice for you, get yourself Scythe Ninja Wire to take some pressure off the pci-e slot and stop the card bending (it will get worse over time). You can put the wire through the cooler so it doesn't touch the card.

I had considered supporting the card and Skid34 even suggested leaving the backplate on. In the end I'm going to try out leaving it as is because the PCI-E power cables are pretty tight and hold some of the weight of the card. In addition the majority of the weight of the cooler and fan is over the PCI-E slot and therefore closer to the secured end of the card.

DrunkenMaster said:
Is that a soundcard underneath?

Yes it's a Xonar DX. It's only half height so I figured it won't be blocking that much of the airflow. The image I put up is deceptive in that the soundcard seems to cover a lot of the fan but it really doesn't.

Last edited:
Soldato
Great I've been waiting to see pictures of someone putting a Shaman on the 6950.
The noise from the stock cooler is unbearable when gaming so will definitely be getting one of these now.

I'm still not really a fan of that VRM solution though, Thermalright need to get one of their separate VRM coolers out for the 6900 cards.

Soldato
OP
Great I've been waiting to see pictures of someone putting a Shaman on the 6950.
The noise from the stock cooler is unbearable when gaming so will definitely be getting one of these now.

I'm still not really a fan of that VRM solution though, Thermalright need to get one of their separate VRM coolers out for the 6900 cards.

Not sure why but hardly anyone stocks the Shaman anymore. OcUK did stock it for a while but they don't now.

I'm not fussed with the vrm solution either. I know the 69xx series don't have mega hot vrm like the 58xx series but still. I'm thinking about securing the top vrm sink with a bolt and some rubber washers as it was a tad wobbly. I also found the pitch between vrm awkward so needed to chop one sink down by 2 fins width. I probably should have cut two down for a perfect fit.

Still vrm temps are great so I can see why TR haven't brought out a solution.

Soldato
OP
An update..

So I spent an hour or so creating a custom wiring solution to use my HD6950s PWM controller to not only control the TY-140 fan but also an exhaust case fan.

Started with this little connector and wiring that I took from a broken alarm clock/ipod dock. I removed some of the keying/polarising lugs so it would fit in a 4 pin slot and then removed the black and yellow wires.

minifan_connector.jpg

I then joined two blue wires to the remaing wire and heatshrunk.

I modified two 3 pin male to female fan connectors, one built from a molex to fan connector and the other from a simple fan splitter, into a couple of 4 pin PWM connectors, of sorts. I used hot glue and super glue.
modded-to-pwm-1.jpg

I sleeved the cables in orange braid I had kicking about and heatshrunk.

And this is the result. I didn't sleeve it all because the majority will eventually be mounted behind the motherboard or tucked out of sight.
grfx-pwm-cable.jpg

And then assembled it to my case this morning.
installed-pwmgrfx-1.jpg

So the result is that the TY-140 now spins at around 660rpm at idle fan duty cycle (24%) and the rear mounted Akasa Apache case fan spins at 780rpm.

Under a Furmark load the TY-140 speeds up to around 850rpm and the Apache 950rpm. The Apache is just on the verge of getting too noisy at this kind of speed.

This is ideal for me as the case temperature will get a little warmer now with the graphics card heat dumped into the case. Even when gaming no fan in my rig spins more than 1000rpm, except power supply which will be fixed soon.

By the way I haven't tidied the cables or anything yet as I still have the PSU to do a fan swap with so seems pointless spending a few hours tidying and routing only to rip everything back out.

I'm now thinking of grabbing some of these puppies as the only thing I wasn't 100% happy with was the way the VRM coolers fitted.
mosc1.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
The Shaman actually uses four slots so unless you have a cavernous case there's not much chance of having two fitted even with slot risers as the Shaman consumes so much space.

The triple slot coolers such as the Acrtic Accelero Extreme might be a better option for Crossfire usage but will be noisier but still massively quieter than the stock garden leaf blower.

Soldato
Tealc, I don't suppose you could shed some light on the stock cooler's VRM/RAM cooling plate. Is it integrated into the cooler (IE: the whole thing (block and all) is one piece) or separate, as with older designs like the 5850 stock cooler?

Soldato
OP
The VRM cooling section of the 6950 reference cooler is literally just out of shot in this image. The RAM section is basically the black underside of the cooler which is fused to the copper based vapour chamber.

stock-tim-1.jpg

It's basically a strip of the black metal that extends from one side of the fan cavity to the other. This strip of metal clearly is part of the heatsink and removes heat via a 2mm thick thermal strip that sits atop the 8 VRM Mosfet chips (I assume it's all 6 but the top 2 are slightly smaller and different).

vrm_stock_tape.jpg

Here are the naked VRMs
vrm_imaged.jpg

I suppose this just demsonstrates how cool these VRM run on these cards by the fact that they aren't even directly attached to the vapour chamber. The VRM cooler on my 4890 was always hot to the touch and consequently TR offered a solution to cool it.

Last edited:
Associate
Is it fine to leave the TIM on there and just apply new tim over it as well as on the contact area for the cooler?

Do those VRAM heatsinks come with the Thermalright Shaman cooler?

Soldato
OP
Is it fine to leave the TIM on there and just apply new tim over it as well as on the contact area for the cooler?

Do those VRAM heatsinks come with the Thermalright Shaman cooler?

It's probably better to remove the stock TIM from the GPU die as it is all hard and will leave gaps. It's not really that tricky to get rid of. A touch of Isopropyl Alcohol and a few cotton buds removed the majority for me. TIM cleaner would work too.

You get (from memory mind, I really don't want to trek down to the shed to check the box) six of the long ones for the VRM chips, twelve of the fat RAM sinks and six of the low profile sinks.

Back
Top Bottom