The OCZ Vertex 3 Thread

Man of Honour
Put your benchmarks, firmware and other bits and pieces in here.

The man from DPD delivered a small parcel today :D:

oczvert1.jpg

oczvert2.jpg

Time permitting I will do a clean install and post some benchmarks tomorrow.

Associate
Hmm,Benchmark 0
Firmware 0.0
Other bits n pieces 00000000

My lightning fast new rig is in limbo at the mo.
(Sorry, I'll go back to sulking on the other V3 threads now)

Lucky bugger!

Associate
Just installed my 240gb Vertex 3 and installed Windows. Are you guys using IDE or AHCI mode for these? I'm not sure which one I should have picked - I went with AHCI.

Associate
And now the next issue - I cant install the Intel RST drivers on my Windows 7 x64 SP1, fresh install - I get the error "This computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software".

Don't tell me I need to install Win 7 without SP1 after all my hard work slipstreaming it :(

Associate
Incidentally folks, whether you have the disk in your hands or waiting for it to arrive still, have a run through the table of contents for this guide and identify the things you should do from it, and create a checklist.

The guide is herculean if attempting to deal with it top to bottom, but if you have a checklist of things you pick out from this you should be well prepared to zip through them when it comes to the install (like, if using it as your OS drive, immediately after installing Windows 7 do a Windows Experience Index run, so that it detects your lightning disk speeds and turns off bad stuff straight away).

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/content.php?306-SSD-ABC-Guide

This is the first SSD I've bought I'm doing an OS install too (netbooks I had before with small SSDs in were pre-installed) and I find it to be a good reference for getting up to speed with.

I think the post-OS changes are going to take longer to run through than installing the OS in the first place though!

Associate
Benches as promised. After a bit of fiddling with drivers and BIOS settings it looks like it's performing as well as it should.

Atto.jpg
ASSSD.jpg

Everything's lightning quick - it's like it's a new computer (maybe because it is? :p)

Associate
Well I hooked my 120gb upto Asus P8P67 Deluxe using Sata6 port and these are there results I am getting: (Drive is System drive Windows 7 64bit Ultimate)

hdtunebenchmarkoczverte.png

By shaddow2012 at 2011-04-07

I was expecting a better result? Should I not be getting 500mb/s?

Associate
That certainly doesn't look right to me. I haven't tried HD Tune but I would have though you'd see numbers closer to this:

http://thessdreview.com/our-reviews/ocz-vertex-3-240gb-sata-3-ssd-review-hdtune-pro-benchmark/

Check it's on AHCI mode in the BIOS and that you've got the latest Intel Rapid Storage Technology drivers installed.

I'm using the Marvell controller as I already have 2xF3's in Raid on the Intel one.. I'll have to check what options are available :confused:

Associate
There's your problem. The Marvel SATA3 controller is rubbish. You need to use the Intel SATA3 ports only to get the benefit from very fast SSDs.

You're going to have to move your RAID to either the Intel SATA2 ports or the Marvel SATA3 ports.

Associate
vx3o.jpg

Not even close to the speeds that P67 boards are getting, but not really much choice on X58 :( Still a very nice upgrade over my old ssd (64gb G.Skill Falcon)!

Associate
There's your problem. The Marvel SATA3 controller is rubbish. You need to use the Intel SATA3 ports only to get the benefit from very fast SSDs.

You're going to have to move your RAID to either the Intel SATA2 ports or the Marvel SATA3 ports.

Doh... So Marvel Sata3 = crap (Do you have any links to benchmarks / details of this?)

Intel Sata2 = bugged (not got a B3 replacement yet!)

So I guess until I get my B3 replacement I could move the F3's over to Marvel. Do you think it would work just unplug from Intel and plug into Marvel?

Associate
Sure, google is your friend. Plenty of information on the Marvel controller being crap for SSDs:

http://www.guru3d.com/article/ocz-vertex-3-pro-review/13

I'd give moving the F3's to the Marvel ports to free up the Intel Sata3. I'm not sure if the RAID will follow over though, it's worth a try. Make sure you do a full backup before attempting in case it does something funky and destroys your data.

Back
Top Bottom