Recommend some driving games please

Soldato
First off, a mate of mine will let me have a Logitech G25 gaming wheel with pedals and gears thingy for £50, Is this a good deal?
It seems like it to me, but i have never really been into racing games ( only one i've really ever played wwas destruction derby, which i used to love many years ago:D)
So, can someone recommend me soam good games to get me started please?:)

cheers guys

PS, i am tempted to get another monitor as well, as i've seen some great set-ups.;)

edit- actually i really liked the Burnout games on PS2, but they don't really count, do they

Soldato
Sim - Race 07 series (includes GTR:Evolution) are good sims, rfactor, Live for Speed, iracing (if you really get into it), GTR2 (old but good), GT Legends, Richard Burns Rally, Grand Prix 4

Arcade - DiRT 2, GRID, F1 2010

Ignore - Need For Speed series, especially Shift and prostreet

That should keep you going for a while!

£50 is a steal for a G25, it should be twice that tbh. I'd buy him a case of lager too.

Soldato
OP
There is a demo of Dirt 2 on Steam, so i will probably start with that.
I like the look of F1, but i imagine it has quite a steep learning curve

I don't reallt like the look of the Need for Speed games for some reason

Last edited:
Soldato
Nope, as you see, I put F1 2010 under arcade as it's pretty easy and very scalable. Lots of assists to get you started, but I'd only play it if you like F1....

Soldato
OP
£50 is a steal for a G25, it should be twice that tbh. I'd buy him a case of lager too.

He is upgrading to something pretty serious!
He must know that he's letting me have it cheap, he showed me the set-up he's got planned. he's keeping his 3 22" monitors and spending a shed load on the peripherals!!

Soldato
OP
Nope, as you see, I put F1 2010 under arcade as it's pretty easy and very scalable. Lots of assists to get you started, but I'd only play it if you like F1....

I have been getting in to F1 a bit more recently actually. Used to really love it about 12 years ago, then kind of drifted away, but i've definitely got back in to it now

Associate
£50 is a flipping bargain mate. He's a good friend obviously or very silly!

Dont want to repeat what others have said, but it depends on the sort of game you want (Arcade or sim) Me personally I'd go for GTR2, then head over to www.pilsbierbude.de and get their auto updater client.

Once you set it up, it will download all the mods and tracks they run on their servers (they have 7 servers) and you can run the auto update client and it will do everything for you in the future (so there is no mis matches online) I think the whole job lot is around 15GB so it will keep for occupied! :D

Soldato
OP
You're starting to worry me now. I was pretty sure it was a good deal, but if it's as much of a bargain as you all say, i'm curious as to why he's letting me have it so cheap then.

He knows much more than me about it. As i say, he's upgrading to a great set-up, so maybe he's just being generous with his old kit. Or maybe it's on its way out, he's had it for a good while.
Either way, for £50 it seems good

Anyway, you recommended GTR2. How about GTR Evolution, How's that?
There is a demo of that, also on Steam.

Soldato
I don't think DiRT drives as well with a wheel as DiRT 2, which is why I omitted it, but yes, it is a good game and has a lot less Americanised rubbish in it compared to its sequel.

Permabanned
I was left utterly dissapointed with the limited track selection and lack of dedication to pure rallying in dirt 2. I dont know who likes this baja nonsense but its not for me.

I would say get shift 2 unless you want a simulator then try iracing which has a bit of a following on these forums.

Soldato
DiRT 2 is still a very good game, but I did also find the Baja, T1, T2 and buggy sections tedious! The handling of all of them is frustrating.

If you look at the latest teasers and info for DiRT 3, they're supposedly including a lot more additional rally content, including group B cars.

This video really reminds me of Colin McRae Rally 2, 3 and 4, which I suppose must be a good thing! Tracks are still a little wide for my liking though. There's always RBR for punishment!

Last edited:
Soldato
alexhull what is your problem with the shift series? I feel it would happily slot into the "arcade" choices you made?

It would, but I have Shift and I hate the car handling with a passion. It's no better with a wheel too, so I thought it would put a newcomer off pretty quickly. The cars have too much weight and not enough grip, it's like trying to steer the worlds largest slippery turd around an ice rink, with a big pivot in the middle. Personally, I don't get why a lot of people find it so playable! I've got a lot of racing games and it's by far the biggest disappointment.

Back
Top Bottom