Antec Kuhler 620 + Fan Controller + 2 x Vipers - QUESTION

Associate
Please can someone confirm that this would work okay before I take the plunge and buy?

- Antec Kuhler 620 connected to motherboard from pump as instructed.
- 2 x Akasa Vipers in push/pull, both attached to a seperate fan controller (and NOT the Kuhler 620).

I realise that I will have to watch temps and adjust fan speeds manually, but I really want to be able to swap between 1) extremely quiet operation, and 2) maximum CFM from the 2 fans.

Please give me good news, 'cos the credit card is out :D

Last edited:
Associate
Hi jmp_78,

as long as you monitor the temperatures, you will be perfectly fine with that setup. Actually you should get some great temperature readings with it! Let us know how it goes!

Enjoy your Antec KÜHLER H2O 620 !

ANTECsupport

Associate
OP
Excellent - thanks all for positive feedback. Before I order, anyone suggest alternatives to 2 x Akasa Vipers?

My case has 3 x 180mm fans running at 18dBA, and when the Kuhler 620 isn't under load and the fans are turned down, I'd like them to not make too much EXTRA noise.

Just checking before I order!

Associate
Hey guys,

Is it recomended to use two of the same fans then? I've got a Kuhler 620 using the stock fan on the chasis and a Xilence Red Wing 120mm. Yet seems quite loud.

If its that different I make have to invest and join you guys with the Vipers.

David

Soldato
Thanks Kaeo, good to hear! How quiet can they go, and what temps do you get on your CPU?

The vipers at their slowest speed, are very quiet, loudest part of my system is my waterpump when all my fans are turned down.

700 rpm x 2 vipers, 500 rpm x 3 case fans.

But at the full 1900 rpm the vipers are loud, but so are any fans running at that speed. I have found that the ideal rpm and cooling capability for my set up was 1300rpm, any higher and the case/mobo temp was only effected and not the cpu temp.

But this is on custom water cooling, so running ur own testing would be best, but for day to day running the vipers are very quiet.

Associate
OP
The vipers at their slowest speed, are very quiet, loudest part of my system is my waterpump when all my fans are turned down.

700 rpm x 2 vipers, 500 rpm x 3 case fans.

But at the full 1900 rpm the vipers are loud, but so are any fans running at that speed. I have found that the ideal rpm and cooling capability for my set up was 1300rpm, any higher and the case/mobo temp was only effected and not the cpu temp.

But this is on custom water cooling, so running ur own testing would be best, but for day to day running the vipers are very quiet.

2 x Vipers ordered - thanks ;)

Associate
2 x Vipers ordered - thanks ;)

Let us/me know how you get on. I've got a Kuhler with the stock fan and a Xilence red wing fan and have found it to be a bit noisy, not using a fan splitter though so the Xilence fan is running seperately. I was/am looking into buying a pair if it proves more useful, noise and performance wise.

Associate
Vipers aren't massively quiet. At low rpm they're silent, but they are noisy at high rpm. They move a pretty massive amount of air though. As has been said, find the happy medium. :)

It sits at 25~30c at stock 3.3 idle, and about 50c ish at 4.6.

Associate
OP
Let us/me know how you get on. I've got a Kuhler with the stock fan and a Xilence red wing fan and have found it to be a bit noisy, not using a fan splitter though so the Xilence fan is running seperately. I was/am looking into buying a pair if it proves more useful, noise and performance wise.

Will do David.

Associate
I've noticed the stock fan is extremely loud, considering its supposed to be a quiet bit of kit. It appears to be running at full RPM all of the time. I thought it was meant to keep quiet. I swapped it with another of my fans that was previously the pull in the push/pull and its dead silent again.

Maybe dodgy fan or somethings not working as it should?
Or just need to get another fan to replace the Antec..
If its an issue with the Antec fan or kuhler I suppose I should contact Antec but no idea if its just me.

Anyhow removed the Antec for now and will see how you get on with the Vipers.
David

Associate
Er, I hate to plug this in but.....

Akasa apache or akasa apache black.... they run at 1400rpm and are a good as silent at full rpm.

These are identical to the vipers but not 1900rpm. I have just got them to go on my ALC ECO and they are spot on. As they are PWM I also bought the akasa pwn fan slitter.

As they are sooo good im getting another 3 for the other fan intakes and stick them all on pwm so will be sooo silent :)

Associate
I've found gentle typhoon 1450rpm seem to move more air than the apaches And are also quieter
Just a shame there not braided

I did originally get 2 apaches for my h50 but I found them to make some awful bearing noise when
I had them horizontally blowing upwards (ft02) might just of had a bad couple of fans though

Last edited:
Associate
Well its a shipping day and I need to decide on one fan for my Kuhler to go with the Xilence Red wing 120mm, or two of the same.

I hate decisions. I wish I could try before buying!

David

Associate
get two of what ever. personally i would go with the akasa apache as its pwm or 2 x GT 1450 rpm one.

I dont want to have to use a fan controller and want as quiet as possible.

atm Im using the apache and the stock alc eco fan, i cant decide what to do either.... pwm fan in whole case to me sounds like a better idea.

how much nosier is the apache compared to the GT1450?

Last edited:
Associate
get two of what ever. personally i would go with the akasa apache as its pwm or 2 x GT 1450 rpm one.

atm Im using the apache and the stock alc eco fan, i cant decide what to do either.... pwm fan in whole case to me sounds like a better idea.

I'll go with the gente typhoon's I think. You say as if they don't have pwm? They appear to unless i'm missing something.

Shame I think my Antec stock fan must be dodgy as it only goes 100% speed once the PC is running, yet on a controller it can be slower...

Off to order the GT's then.. have to wait a day or few, I really wanted to sort it today and go out to find things but of course no shops stock anything of use, places have gone downhill, lucky we have the internet and OCUK! (Although OCUK don't seem to stock the GT's :()

Associate

There's not a great deal in it. I just found the gt better for my ft02. I would not of bought the gt though if my apaches didn't make the bearing noise when there blowing air upwards (have the brown and green apaches if that helps) the apaches are very good fans though. And I might just of got a couple of bad ones

And also the gentle typhoons I have are only 3 pin, so not pwm

Another good option for fans fitted blowing upwards (I noticed op has a rv02) are scythe s-flex they are pretty awesome fans, again they are 3 pin

I have tried a lot of fans in my quest for quietness :) , got a shaman gpu cooler arriving tommoz to quieten down this 480

Back
Top Bottom