GFWL Mandatory update 10th May

Soldato
So you may as well get it now as after tomorrow any game you have with GFWL will not work until you update the client with this 72MB download. MS as promised are making improvements finally although this new client looks no different but underneath its much quicker & the installer now tells you if you need any other components like dot.net.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/D/0/F/D0F9F1BD-9BE6-49E4-8729-4AAAFCAC20F9/gfwlivesetup.exe

I'v been using this since last week & it works fine with every GFWL game I tested plus is a lot quicker to bring up the sub-menu's. It will be on Windows Update tomorrow & every game you use with GFWL will not allow you to connect until you update either manually or from the disconnect until update prompt that will appear tomorrow!

Man of Honour
I've been giving games that use GFWL a wide berth for awhile now... even tho it means missing out on 1-2 titles I was interested in.

Huw

Huw

Associate
Before watching The Dark Knight I couldn't believe that Heath Ledger's performance as the Joker was really that good. My cynicism told me that attitudes may have been favourably adjusted by his sad demise. Then I finally watched the film and, to my joy, found that Ledger's performance really was as astounding as had been claimed.

In a fairly similar way, I didn't really believe that GFWL was really that bad. I mean, it must at least work, right? However horribly? Christ. I've since used it to buy precisely one game and that was enough. I will never buy another game through that miserable platform. GFWL is Microsoft's attempt to kill gaming on the PC and drive everyone to the Xbox. One of the most horrible pieces of software it's ever been my misfortune to use - and this coming from someone who regularly and cheerfully downloads abandoned v0.015 releases of obscure Linux software.

If GFWL became the only way to get new PC games, I'd stop getting new PC games.

Soldato
All they need to include now is:

The ability to add GFWL games bought through retail to my account
Proper GFWL webpages instead of the xBox pages
A decent client which will allow me to install the games I have bought through them (it was only a penny or something stupid like that)
Game updates automatically through Windows Update
The ability to interact with friends outside of a game
An IM client for interacting with friends

And it'll approach something resembling decent.

Man of Honour
GFWL is Microsoft's attempt to kill gaming on the PC and drive everyone to the Xbox. One of the most horrible pieces of software it's ever been my misfortune to use - and this coming from someone who regularly and cheerfully downloads abandoned v0.015 releases of obscure Linux software.

That I can believe... all it adds is an extra clunky layer between me and the game, adding nothing thats at all useful to me and taking up extra time and effort to get into my games...

Soldato
Yeah these days steam does screenshots, ingame overlay, I would not be surprised if soon it had ability of displaying framerate and catching videos rendering fraps obsolete...

Steam rocks, GFWL sucks.

Soldato
Yeah these days steam does screenshots, ingame overlay, I would not be surprised if soon it had ability of displaying framerate and catching videos rendering fraps obsolete...

Well they aren't far off... you can add your uploaded youtube videos to your account profile, next step is filming them yourself I imagine.

Huw

Huw

Associate
Why does everyone hate GFWL so much everytime i have used it seemed fine.

You're lucky then. Every time I have used it it did almost the exact opposite of what I wanted it to do. It seems most people's experiences are similar to mine, hence all the hate.

Associate
I actively avoid any games with this abomination spyware built in.

They just want information and control ..same as google.

I will have to update though just to complete batman. and that will be the last time i use it, if i can remember my username and pw.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom