• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** MSI 6950 Twin Frozr III Power Edition - How To Unlock The Power ***

OcUK Systems
OcUK Staff
OP
Associate
ScottiB...

Why couldn't have you posted this yesaterday.:mad::mad::mad:

Was deciding between that card & a XFX 6950 & settled for the XFX.:(

Too late to return it, as I'm using it now.:(

Tell me about it i got this card yesterday paid £210 on this week only offer and now its £179.99 (erm wth) not to mention the £10 delivery i had to pay im well annoyed also got a new psu and when my things arrived the box was in a right state looked like it had been used as a football in a rugby match all ripped and battered im not joking there was a whole the size of my head in the box, my psu has 2 deep gashes in it which im also well annoyed at as its on the side facing me for all to see but the psu box was sealed well so this has been done at the manufacturers end.
On to the card,
Well at first impressions i was gutted because i checked some of my games out and the issues i had with the games are still there, I thought by upgrading to this card it was going to solve them, i now know it wasnt my card its the games them self,
Coming from an Nvidia card the overall picture quality does not look as good i think this is to do with the drivers though so it has potential to improve somewhat.
Another thing is for some odd reason i cant run this card through hdmi because for some unknown reason it doesn't fit my screen right and there is no option for me to fix it. i tried different resolutions and settings but where the resolution would change the screen size remained the same so idk.

Anyway i was expecting big things from this card but its been a bit of a let down so far, Another one was the noise the card makes i was expecting this card to be almost silent it might just be my card but its far form silent theres a wired buzzing noise from the card that can get loud (not all the time) and when playing games the fans ramp up and make far more noise than what i was expecting also when the fans ramp up there's a clicking noise (not all the time though).
Before buying this card i didnt think it was possible to unlock the shaders but i wasn't bothered about that anyway (dont get me wrong i would have liked to have known it was possible) but i thought the extra overclocking, silence and quality components far outweighed the shader/flash unlock of the reference card anyway.
Now that i have seen this it gives me great hope that i can get that little extra for nothing and if it works i will be once again happy with my purchase
although with my luck of the draw it probably wont :rolleyes:
So im going to wait on this thread for some positive feed back from others that have successfully unlocked this card then try it myself.
If you have managed to read this far and are one of these people that are wondering should i buy it? the answer is yes, YES do it now while its at an amazing price no questions about it i will be going crossfire with this card later on and i guess if i had the money right now i would definitely buy another at that price i wouldn't even think twice about it.
Even if they don't unlock they have amazing overclock potential and are still easy worth £179.99
Anyway good luck with your cards lads, hope to see some positive feed back.

Soldato
I can confirm the card DOESN'T unlock any shaders.

Still at 1408 after a second flash attempt.

It did override the overclocking limits so off for that I go.

Soldato
These cards dont unlock. I am surprised that even the msi rep is coming here to say otherwise. That unlocking mechanism has already been tried by multiple users elsewhere and no ine has managed to unlock them.

The Asus 6950 direct cu II on the other hand is fully unlockable if the Bios script instructions from TPU are followed.

Soldato
These cards dont unlock. I am surprised that even the msi rep is coming here to say otherwise. That unlocking mechanism has already been tried by multiple users elsewhere and no ine has managed to unlock them.

The Asus 6950 direct cu II on the other hand is fully unlockable if the Bios script instructions from TPU are followed.

The plot thickens...maybe ScottiB can find out some more from the boffins at MSI. Perhaps something missing from the instructions or the BIOS file? Have there been any changes to the cards since they first wrote the custom BIOS?

If it was only one user I would have suspected user error but if no one has managed to make it work there must be something more going on...

Soldato
The plot thickens...maybe ScottiB can find out some more from the boffins at MSI. Perhaps something missing from the instructions or the BIOS file? Have there been any changes to the cards since they first wrote the custom BIOS?

If it was only one user I would have suspected user error but if no one has managed to make it work there must be something more going on...

And by "something more" you quite possibly mean (intentionally or not) laser-cut shaders.

There really isn't much into it, I'm glad that the cards weren't advertised as unlockable because they DON'T unlock from what I've gathered. There might had been a few samples that did but they're long gone now.

I'm surprised that Asus 6950 Direct CU II does unlock, could have gone for that for a little extra but the performance difference is negligible clock for clock.

Back
Top Bottom