Shameless self promotion of my blog about time in Hospital (RIP FooAtari)

Associate
I'm going be spending a lot of time in hospital over the coming months and to help pass the long days I'm going to blog about it, in a hopefully humorous and light hearted manner. Can get full details of why I'm there from the blog.

Thought it might be of interest to some, particularly those who have spent time in a hospital ward.

https://hospitalmusings.wordpress.com/

Cheers

Last edited:
Soldato
Keep us up to date of your progress and hope everything goes well.
I've spent a fair amount of time in hosptital so am sure you'll have lots to write about, some of the things that go on are just crazy, it was cetainly a shock first time I went in.

Soldato
:eek:Thats quite a mental list you have wrote down there FooAtari!

• In 1997, when I was 16 years old, I suffered acute liver failure which resulted in me undergoing a liver transplant. (few days in intensive care and over 1 month in hospital)
  • 2002, after suffering a seizure while driving it was discovered I had an Astrocytoma (type of brain tumor). Fortunatly this was completely removed and I made a full recovery (couple of weeks in hospital)
  • In 2009 I underwent a Hepaticojejunostomy. This is a Anastomosis of the hepatic duct to the jejunum. Basically, I had a tightening in a bile duct due to scar tissue where my own bile duct joined that of the donated liver. (week in hospital)
  • 2009 – 2010 various tests and biopsies to determine reason for enlarged spleen
  • In 2010 I underwent a Splenectomy to remove my Spleen has it had grown to around the size of a rugby ball (few days in intensive care, couple of weeks in hospital.
  • 2010, got pneumonia after Splenectomy along with other complications (10 days in hospital)
  • 2010, results of tests done on spleen showed that I was suffering from Post-transplant Lymphoproliferative Disorder (PTLD). To my understanding this may have been caused by the immunosuppressive drug I have to take as a result of the liver transplant to stop my immune system attacking the foreign liver.

Associate

• In 1997, when I was 16 years old, I suffered acute liver failure which resulted in me undergoing a liver transplant. (few days in intensive care and over 1 month in hospital)
  • 2002, after suffering a seizure while driving it was discovered I had an Astrocytoma (type of brain tumor). Fortunatly this was completely removed and I made a full recovery (couple of weeks in hospital)
  • In 2009 I underwent a Hepaticojejunostomy. This is a Anastomosis of the hepatic duct to the jejunum. Basically, I had a tightening in a bile duct due to scar tissue where my own bile duct joined that of the donated liver. (week in hospital)
  • 2009 – 2010 various tests and biopsies to determine reason for enlarged spleen
  • In 2010 I underwent a Splenectomy to remove my Spleen has it had grown to around the size of a rugby ball (few days in intensive care, couple of weeks in hospital.
  • 2010, got pneumonia after Splenectomy along with other complications (10 days in hospital)
  • 2010, results of tests done on spleen showed that I was suffering from Post-transplant Lymphoproliferative Disorder (PTLD). To my understanding this may have been caused by the immunosuppressive drug I have to take as a result of the liver transplant to stop my immune system attacking the foreign liver.

This is indeed crazy!

Caporegime
Interesting post, would read again++.

Best of luck with it all, not fair for one person to go through all that :). Reading about your sex pest kinda reminded me of a few jokes. Since its about being light hearted and in no way make fun of your condition(s) I'll share.

'Doctor doctor, I can't feel my legs!'
'Yes, I'm sorry but we had to amputate your arms'.

A man wakes up after a serious accident, and the doctor leans over him. 'Do you want the good news or the bad news?' The man blinks slowly and says 'give me the bad news doc'. 'Very well, I'm afraid we've had to amputate your legs'. The man begins to cry, 'Oh christ, whats the good news?' 'Well,' says the doctor, 'the man opposite says he'll buy your shoes'.​

Associate
As a fellow Cancer sufferer and ward hobbit you have my sympathy. Though what you have had to go through is ridiculous.

Stuff you see in hospital toughens you up fast doesn't it.

Where are you receiving chemo? I'm off to see my Cancer team today and if you close I'll pop in if I can.

Associate
Reading things like this always make you feel stupid for feeling sorry for yourself when you're under the weather. There are people out there who have it far, far worse!

I've spent a bit of time in hospital (even becoming radioactive!) but nothing compared to what some of you have been through, I expect.

Best of luck with everything, FooAtari. :)

Last edited:
Associate
OP

Yeah it's pretty unbelievable

Did you sleep with gods wife? As he clearly wants you dead.

Maybe in a previous life...

Which hospital are you in?

As a fellow Cancer sufferer and ward hobbit you have my sympathy. Though what you have had to go through is ridiculous.

Stuff you see in hospital toughens you up fast doesn't it.

Where are you receiving chemo? I'm off to see my Cancer team today and if you close I'll pop in if I can.

Sure does toughen you up. I'm in North Scotland. Bit hesitant to mention the hospital, just in case...

Anyway, updated blog. I won't bump this post every time it's updated, just wanted to give more people the opportunity to see it.

Soldato
All the best, going to read this with interest.

My dad is getting treatment for prostate cancer in Aberdeen and he says the team there are absolutely fantastic. He can't praise them enough. So much so, that he bypasses numerous other hospitals (including Glasgow's, Edinburgh's, Perth, and Dundee) just to go to ARI because of the doctor's.

Soldato
Can I ask why you suffered liver failure when you were 16, was it due to a liver disease?
I'm curious as a couple of years ago I was diagnosed with Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis.

Back
Top Bottom