Winter Is Here - A Dance With Dragons

Soldato
It is known;
THIS THREAD CONTAINS CONTAINS SPOILERS FOR BOOKS 1 TO 4, WHERE BOOK 5 PLOT POINTS ARE MENTIONED PLEASE ADD "SPOILER" HEADINGS SO PEOPLE CAN READ AT THEIR OWN PACE. :)

A Dance with Dragons is the fifth of seven planned novels in the epic fantasy series A Song of Ice and Fire by American author George R. R. Martin. On March 3, 2011, publisher Bantam Spectra announced that the novel would be released on July 12, 2011.[1] Martin delivered the more than 1,500-page manuscript to his editor on April 27, 2011.[3] The U. S. hardcover, which includes an index, runs 1040 pages.

Anyone else got this pre-ordered? I haven't waited as long as others (around 2 years). Can't wait to continue the story with some of the fan favorite characters. I'm hoping for lots of big events and death! Hopefully Dany will enter into Westros at last as well.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I'll be getting this on Kindle (price is cheaper now than the hardback, a whole 50p!), £12 though, will be my most expensive Kindle purchase. Really looking forward to it, the reviews have been positive (which I now wish I hadn't read as they've spoilt a few things for me).

Soldato
I'll be getting this on Kindle (price is cheaper now than the hardback, a whole 50p!), £12 though, will be my most expensive Kindle purchase. Really looking forward to it, the reviews have been positive (which I now wish I hadn't read as they've spoilt a few things for me).

Pre-ordered on Kindle as well so delivery on release! Only pre-ordered for €8.20 though :p

Been reading through the previous books to remind myself what has happened, it's been a long six years.

Associate
Hmm i preordered a while back for the hardcover, but tempted to cancel and reorder for my kindle. Reckon i might prefer the book cos of the POVs though.

My hardbook is showing release on the 12th despatch on the 13th, im too much of a cheapskate to do anything other than super saver delivery though so I won't get it till the end of next week

Associate
Bit of a price difference around the retailers, HB version and there seems to be two covers I take it one is the American and the other Uk/ Europe version ?

Been told I can't buy it, it's my birthday in a few days, can't think what i'm getting lol ...

Soldato
Just started the second book. Absolutely brilliant series....but I have a major issue with it. The sex scenes are just cringeworthingly stupid :p Honestly, they almost ruin the story for me. They add nothing other than the obvious nerd-pleasing titillation factor. I also hate myself for being judgmental, but I see pics of the author and immediately think "dirty old perv" - have you seen the state of him? The dialogue is absolutely first-class, as is the story in general, then I get to one of these erotic passages (ahem) and I just feel like he's dragging me into one of his sordid fantasies.....then feel the need to go shower :(

Soldato
I havent completed my re-read of the first 4 books yet, so this is just sat on my desk, staring at me, taunting me. I've already read the prologue chapter, although that was the same as the one that was available on the net years back.

Soldato
As often as I get harangued by friends to read these, I refuse to until he finishes it (which won't be till I'm about 45 at this rate), which may not actually occur given from what I've seen of Martin, he's old and rather rotund. Robert Jordan v2?

Associate
Thought this thread was about the writers book not how judgemental some of you can be about him because of the way he looks and your perception of what that makes him...

He could have two heads no nose and 7 fingers on each hand for all I care, I don't have to look him in the eye or talk to him like a psychologist all I have to do is read his work and if I like it carry on reading if I don't then I just don't buy anymore..

Get real you people who are reading and seem to be liking most if not all of his Game of Thrones work but insist on still putting the guy down .... :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom